News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Mixing Bunker Styles...
« on: October 27, 2010, 10:14:10 PM »
I have been wondering how some courses can mix bunker styles successfully and others that try to do so, fail miserably.  What factors go into using a mixture of styles without creating disharmony in the design...

Here are pictures of two consecutive holes at "The Experience of Koele"...the name alone should have told me that I wouldn't love the course, but I plopped down the ridiculous green fee to check it out anyway:

and the following hole:

IMO, EPIC FAIL. 

Bart

Ryan Admussen

Re: Mixing Bunker Styles...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:25:24 PM »

Eagles Nest in Toronto, not a fan of the two styles, really enjoyed the course otherwise though.

Ed Oden

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:40:13 PM »
Bart, I'm sure this isn't what you were thinking about when you started this thread, but I'll mention it anyway.  On the 1st hole at Mountain Ridge the bunker style is consistent but the presentation is mixed with fescue framing two of the fairway bunkers...

Same thing at Somerset Hills #9...

In both instances, I think the "mix" works very well.

Also, at the Dormie Club there are spots where a "maintained" bunker flows into a waste bunker.  Unfortunately, I don't have a picture showing an example.  BUt the maintained bunker and the waste bunker have distinct styles and you can see where one ends and the other begins.  Again, I think it works there. 

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 06:08:59 PM »
I think that Jim Engh does this all the time. He uses his "muscle" bunker, but also a lot or round, pot like type bunkers.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back