News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jack Davis

Golf Books involving famous courses
« on: November 22, 2008, 02:09:08 AM »
This summer I will be interning at Shinnecock Hills Golf Club and I was wondering if there were any good books highlighting the clubs history or perhaps any famous stories. In addition, I just finished reading The Match by Mark Frost and The Pro by Butch Harmon. Any suggestions for other great reads? Thanks.
Jack Davis, PGA
Essex County Club

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: Golf Books involving famous courses
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 08:22:51 AM »
You could try Legendary Golf Clubs of the American East by John de St. Jorre

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 06:47:08 PM »
Jack,  I would second Kyle's recommendation. This book chronicles the greats from FL to Mass. Not only does it contain wonderful pictures but also a succinct history of each of these storied clubs. It gives you great background prior to visiting one of these clubs.  Good Luck,        Jack

Gerry B

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 10:09:18 PM »
i have the lengendary golf clubs of the east and it is very good indeed - recommended

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 10:23:50 PM »
I second the Clubs of the East book...its good.

Try googling the club history of Shinnecock on Amazon. That way you can impress the head pro with your unlimited knowledge of the club in advance of them forcing you to learn it.
H.P.S.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 10:27:47 PM »
America's Linksland: A Century of Long Island Golf by William Quirin would be another good option.

JimFatsi

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »
The Golden Age of Golf Design,by Shackelford -  under the William Flynn section check out old photos of Shinnecock and read up on William Flynn.
Also the Evangelist of Golf by George Bahto has some of the original course info, designed by Macdonald and Raynor.  Some holes form original design still exist in the Flynn redesign in 1931.
Also the Golf Clubs of the MGA  by Bill Quirin.

Have fun this summer, your working for Jack, one of the best Pros in the business, you will learn a lot.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 07:46:33 PM »
Curt Sampson's book on Augusta National, "The Masters - Golf, Money & Power in Augusta, Georgia",  is certainly worth reading. It really shows how the Masters was crucial to the success of the club. You will likely not feel quite the same when watching the Masters after reading this book.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:50:15 PM by David_Tepper »

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 07:52:55 PM »
Jack:
Summer in the Hamptons, working at Shinnecock -- what a great experience!  I suspect you'll look back on this period fondly.

Jeffrey Prest

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 04:32:55 AM »
Going off at a slight tangent, has anyone identified the golf course where someone gets the wrong type of clubbing in Guy Ritchie's new film 'RocknRolla'?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back