News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSPayne

Need local advice - Golf Etc. in Ireland
« on: November 06, 2008, 09:38:27 AM »
I'm very excited about a trip my wife and I are very near to booking  (we're just fare-watching to try and get the best flight deal). I've been to Europe twice, lived in Sweden for a year, but my wife has never been and this is a chance for us both to have probably one last hurrah before the burdens of work and family really tie us down.

The final leg of our trip will be into Ireland, where we will be flying home from (flying out of Dublin specifically). We currently plan to be in Ireland April 6 or 7 to the 11th of 2009. Understandably the weather may not be great, but this is the best and easiest time of year for a superintendent like me to get away.

In any case, I'm interested in some advice from locals as to how I might be able to tie a little golf sightseeing into my trip. I more than likely would not be able to play as we're backpacking and I won't be bringing my clubs, and I'm not even sure the wife would like to sacrifice nearly a whole day of a jam-packed rather short trip just so I can "go play." But we're probably doing a rental car to get around more freely, so I should be able to be fairly flexible as to where we go.

So what should we visit, to drive by at the very least but hopefully to walk around, maybe take a course tour and some pictures, etc that will let me get my "golf fix" in for the trip?

Any further recommendations on the "must sees" of Ireland non-golf related would be appreciated as well. I know it's a short time in a great country, but we just want a taste.....something I'm sure will have us thirsting to return for more.  :)
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

John Mayhugh

Re: Need local advice - Golf Etc. in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:47:55 AM »
Don't feel bad about the hit & run approach to visiting Ireland.  It's better to see it only for a few days rather than not at all.  As you mentioned, a few days will probably entice you to return.

My advice would be to steer clear of all golf courses.  The desire to play will be overwhelming and might as well avoid the temptation.  Just be sure you get a night or two in a smaller town than Dublin. 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:56:24 AM »
Hi,

Depending on where you travel from Dublin (I would highly recommend the West or South West), the one must see course in April from a walking / photographic point of view should be Royal County Down (2 hours north of Dublin) where the gorse will be in full bloom. Everything about the course, the maintenance, the situation makes it just about the most beautiful place in the world for a golfer.

Rgds,
Ally

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 09:57:11 AM »
Royal Dublin and Portmarnock are very close to town and if they will rent you some clubs and let you go off first you could be in and out in less than 3 hours.  Not optimal but better than not playing.

There is a seedy music store in the Temple Bar area of Dublin that used to have the best selection of bootlegs I have ever seen.  Zepplin, Who, Doors, U2 (lots), Stones, and all kinds of new stuff.  Very good place to spend a few hours and a few bucks.

Dub_ONeill

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 10:08:44 AM »
I would make two suggestions.  The first is to echo the proposal to drive two hours north to Royal County Down and at least walk the front nine.  Even if you cannot play the course ( and you should meet whatever spousal demand is made to get permission) standing on top of the dune at the ninth hole looking down at the fairway with the bay and the Mountains of the Mourne in the distance is an experience every golfer should have.  A more convenient idea is to visit Portmarnock and The Island on the outskirts of Dublin. They are only about 20 minutes apart and offer examples of a low profile classic links course (Portmarnock) and a short, quirky course with some larger dunes. 

JSPayne

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 10:25:13 AM »
Great suggestions so far......thanks.

Though I should clarify a little. While we are flying out of Dublin to head home, we will most previously  be coming in from London via the ferry and with the rental car plan to travel around fairly extensively. So where we visit doesn't necessarily need to be tied closely to Dublin.

Also, as I somewhat mentioned, any non-golf sights and experiences or great places to stay near these golf outposts would definetely help "get an in" with the wifey to encourage her to let us head that direction.  ;D

Also, we regards to these courses, especially Royal County Down as I agree that would be a great spot to try and get a round in if one if afforded to me, how difficult is the process of getting a time? Do I need to book way in advance? Do they take walk-ons? During this time of year how busy is it and what can I expect as far as pricing?

Thanks again.....keep the recommendations coming.......I'm getting the golf itch already!
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 10:51:18 AM »
where does your ferry land?  not to ask an obvious question but are you sure your car company will allow a pick up in LON and a drop in DUB?  sometimes they get weird about one-ways.

if you come in south of dublin on the ferry then European Club is a great stop.  there is a brand new Ritz Carlton down there that i suspect is dieing for visitors

JSPayne

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 11:43:33 AM »
My apologies for the misinformation......still needing to look closer at a map I guess. We're probably taking the Holyhead to Dublin ferry, and plan on renting the car only once we're in Dublin.

Regardless, the main information stays the same......we don't mind travelling far and wide away from Dublin. Hell, compared to the States, nothing's a very far drive away over there! My wife is still amazed we can visit three countries in a day via train if we wanted to and still be back were we started for dinner!

Mark Smolens

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 12:21:38 PM »
Donegal, Dingle Peninsula, and the Cliffs of Mohr (Moor?  sorry about the spelling).  I once hit the longest six iron in my life off the Cliffs. . . with a busload of Japenese tourists snapping away.  I'm told you can no longer walk up to the edge of the cliffs.  One of the most frightening things I've ever done.  My buddy who married a lass from Mullingar honeymooned at Donegal, and I think that's a popular beach spot for the Irish. . .

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 12:25:37 PM »
Here's some advice then... I would spend only 2 nights in Dublin and spend the remaining 4 nights on the West Coast...

Personally, I choose Connemara and Galway with its wild barren landscape... Depending on budget, I would advise staying at Ballynahinch Castle (www.ballynahinch-castle.com/)... From there, you have Clifden as the nearest town... Do not fail to visit the nearby village of Roundstaone and have an easy lunch and a pint in O'Dowds pub...

Alternatively, go to Clare where you can see the amazing Burren, Cliffs of Moher and also visit Lahinch Golf Club (and probably get a walk-on)...

As a final alternative, you could visit the South west (Kerry and West Cork) where you should stay in either Kenmare or possibly Dingle... Some driving will show you Ballybunion or Tralee or Waterville...

Whatever you do (and if budget allows), try and stay in Country House Hotels (many advised in Jim Finnegan's book) as opposed to B&Bs or chain hotels...in front of the open peat fire is the place to rest your feet and the food is invariably excellent in most of them... try Ireland's Blue Book to give you an idea (www.irelands-blue-book.ie/)

If you go North to Royal County Down, you could stay in Carlingford for a night... I suggest Ghan House (www.ghanhouse.com/)

Hope that helps...

JSPayne

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 11:07:13 AM »
Well, looks like a visit to Royal County Down is a must-do.....so that will definetely have to be part of the trip. Luckily my wife is warming to the idea of a little golf-related tourism so I might get lucky and be able to sneak a round in yet!

Ally, or anyone for that matter, if 2 days are spent at/near RCD and 2 in Dublin, if I had to choose one more place to visit for 2 days, what would be the best spot?

Also, we are pretty constrained by budget, but if we skimped by staying at hostels the rest of the nights, where would be the best place to splurge on a nice night's stay and dinner before we make the trip back home? The idea of staying in a castle sounds amazingly appealing to me, but perhaps it's not all as great as it would seem to be?

Appreciate all the advice thus far. Wish I had more time in Europe in general as I'd seek out other notable golf locales, but the rest of the trip is going to be the highlight reel of country capitals mostly, to help my wife get in as much important and notable places as possible since this is her maiden voyage overseas. Luckily, time and work permitting, I can guarantee already  she'll want to go back again. Travelling is an addiction......can't stop once you start.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 01:25:04 PM »
Mr Payne,

By only allowing yourself a further two days, you are not really allowing yourself time to get to the West Coast... Here's my advice if you want to stay up near RCD...

2 nights in Dublin, 1 night in Newcastle (for RCD) or Carlingford (halfway between RCD and Dublin) and 3 nights in Galway City and Connemara (beautiful barren countryside to the West of Galway city)... Check out Connemara Golf Club whilst you're out there... Drive the Sky Road, visit Clifden and Roundstone and admire the twelve Bens... Enjoy some of the local pubs in Galway (Neactains being the best of the lot)...

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 04:44:46 PM »
There would seem to be two options for this trip. Both involve a couple of days seeing in Dublin and then going to another part of the country.

The first is Dublin and the North. Spend a couple of days in Dublin to see the sights, the golf courses you can see without venturing too far from the city center are Portmarnock, The Island and Royal Dublin. After Dublin drive up the east coast to Newcastle, Belfast and Portrush.

It is possible to see County Louth(Baltray) on this leg of the journey. In Newcastle is RCD, should have no problem gatting a tee time that time of the year, plenty of great scenery for your better half as well, it really is a great walk. Then on to Belfast to see amongst other things the Murals from the troubles. There are Mural Tours, really are amazing to see. And on to Portrush from there, see Royal Portrush but also the Giants Causeway, Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge and the whiskey distillery at Bushmills. A great mixture of golf and culture on this leg.

The other option is Dublin and the West. Spend a couple of days in Dublin again and drive to the west coast, see Galway, Connemara, maybe a ferry to the Aran Islands, drive down the coast to Clare and the Burren, traditional music in a pub in Doolin on the way, onto the Cliffs of Moher and Lahinch. Drop into Lahinch golf club and further down the road to Doonbeg. This should take about four days as well. I also would look at B+Bs to stay in, won't be busy that time of year and would be open to negotiation, much better then hostels, the family of the house would let you in on hidden local secrets as well.

This is what I would recommend. If you have any questions, ask.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Jason Topp

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 05:06:25 PM »
Shortly after my wife and I got married we spend a similar amount of time in Ireland and travelled to Galway and the Cliffs of Moher. 

As we were leaving we went past an amazing links golf course with memorable dunes.  I had no idea where I was but the place looked magical and I wondered why I had never heard of it.

It turned out to be Lahinch. 

Jack_Marr

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 03:31:50 AM »
If you're just in the Dublin area, a trip up the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. Glendalough, the featherbeds, Lough Dan etc. It's very nice up there.
John Marr(inan)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back