News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

While in Pawleys Island recently, I played the Heritage Club (ranked in the top 50 by GD on the Top 100 Public list this year) one afternoon.  The three defining characteristics of the golf course, as you'll see from the pictures, are broad live oak trees, nasty-looking bunkers, and enormous greens.  Those greens have quite a bit of undulation, separating them often into two or three greens in one.  This allows holes to play quite differently from day to day.  I listed Strantz in parentheses in the title because I am told he had a lot to do with the original green complexes, which were softened somewhat.  At any rate, I have heard the architectural history is somewhat spotty at Heritage, so if anyone has more information, I'd love to hear/see it.

Anyhoo, the narrowness of Heritage is evident immediately; if you play the tips, you'd better be able to work the ball both ways.

As is often the case, there is one clear side to miss on the greens at Heritage, making up for the penal nature of the bunkers.

Number 2 is a lengthy par 5 where one might want to layup down a wider right-hand fairway for a better angle up the green.  The left fairway provides the shorter way home.

3 is a pretty stout par 4 with bunkers to the left of the landing area.  Challenging these bunkers leaves an easier angle for the second shot and shortens the hole a little.

Number 4 is another dogleg-left par 4 where two live oaks really pinch in the landing area.  But if you can avoid them, the approach is to a fairly inviting, if undulating green.

The 5th again tempts the aggressive player to bust one over bunkers at the inside of the dogleg to leave a wedge into the green.  It's one of the easier holes if you can hit a good drive.  The green meanders behind that left bunker in the second picture.

The first par 3 is to be found at number 6, which may require as much as a hybrid or as little as a 7 iron or so, as the green is about 50 yards deep.

The 7th is a par four that requires an all-or-nothing approach if the player wants to shorten the hole off the tee.  It is possible to hit a drive through the fairway if you don't try and cut off enough over the right side, so either play short and right of the far left bunker or aim your drive about 15 yards right of the right bunker on the inside of the dogleg.

This is the view from a little left of the ideal spot off the tee.

The 8th is the shortest hole at Heritage, at only 155 from the tips.  There is the remains of an old slave cemetery just in front of the tee box, so you could say the hole is "built over the bones of dead men."  The green wanders behind that little right-side bunker and drops a couple feet, making a pin back there tough to see clearly.

The last hole on the front is a bit shoehorned.  There's no need to hit more than a 5 wood or hybrid off the tee as it will leave you with a wedge into the green.

The back opens with a pretty narrow par five.  A drive anywhere left of the right few yards of the fairway will force a careful layup in order to have a look at the huge, three-level green.

11 is a tricky par 3 that slopes away in the back, making it exceedingly difficult to be sure of where the pin is.

12 is one of my favorite holes at Heritage.  It's a short par 4 with a green unlike any I've seen.  It is one of those three-in-one greens where the high part is at the front.  The left-hand section sits about a foot and a half down, and the back is about three feet below the front.  Also, water lurks behind the green.  I was a little disappointed to be playing to the front pin, which is the most ordinary.  I wish I had had time to take more pictures of the green, but there was a group that sort of jumped in behind me.

The 13th is a fantastic par 3 that plays 228 yards from the tips.  It's almost all carry to a green that runs about 60 yards from front-left to back-right.  It's almost an inverted Biarritz, with the front and back halves separated by a pretty big mound.

Number 14 can make a player foolish for trying to carry too much of the lake on the left off the tee.  The green is a massive two-tiered affair guarded by some of the nastier bunkers at Heritage.

The 15th is the longest par 4 on the golf course and is pretty forgiving off the tee as a result.  The entrance to the green is fairly open, and on days of relatively dry conditions it may be possible to bounce one up to a front pin.  Middle and rear hole locations are the toughest.

16 is a little funky, with a little stand of trees obscuring the view of the green from the left half of the fairway.  It has one of the more wavy greens, making hitting the correct part of the fairway very important.

The 17th is a very tight, long dogleg right par four, probably the toughest of the two-shotters.  The approach must contend with some beautiful trees and will test the player's ability to hit a draw or a fade.

The last hole at Heritage gets the most press and advertising shots.  It's a reachable par 5 with a semi-peninsula green.  The aggressive play off the tee is over the trees on the left, potentially leaving 220 yards or less into the green.  A great finishing hole for match play.

Heritage is one of the most visually appealing golf courses I've played, with rumpled greens and nasty bunkers.  It can be had by someone who hits a lot of fairways, as it is pretty easy to hit a high number of greens in regulation.  Golf Digest has it at #46 Public, with Caledonia and True Blue at #s 86 and 87, respectively.  I don't think it holds a candle to Caledonia, but I could entertain arguments for it being slightly ahead of True Blue, though I might not agree.  Nonetheless, it is a very enjoyable golf course if you can appreciate the strategic potential of a few trees. ;D

Cheers.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mark Pritchett

Tim,

Thanks for the excellent write-up and great pictures.  I am planning to play Heritage Club this September, most likely a 36 hole day including the recently redone Founder's Club.  Any thoughts on Founders?

Is it Labor Day yet?

Mark

Ron Csigo

Tim,

Thank you for the wonderful photo tour of the Heritage.  There are some truly wonderful courses down in Palweys Island.  I'm a bit torn between Caledonia, True Blue and Heritage and picking a favorite.  Each course has it's own unique appeal and charm.

Mark,

I have not played the Founders Club.  In addition to these three courses, Pawleys Plantation designed by Jack Nicklaus is worth checking out.

Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Mark Pritchett

Ron,

I have played Caledonia and True Blue and loved them both.  Looking forward to Heritage Club, I may add Pawleys Plantation to my list, after hearing positive reviews. 

Thanks,

Mark

Joe Bausch

I've played Heritage many times and like it lots, but put it a notch below Caledonia and True Blue.

But the Heritage is the sceen of an absolutely classic golf moment for me.  I take a spring break trip each year with many of my buddies from school, with Myrtle a frequent destination.  One of my colleagues played golf as a kid, but hardly at all as an adult.  He heard how much fun we have on the trips, and we twisted his arm to come along.  Finally one year he caved in and made the trek.

Now, mind you, the last time he had played golf previously was about 5 years before that, where on George Fazio's first design, Kimberton, my friend hit a wayward shot that flew OB and hit a cow!  So he had forever been trying to live that one down.

Fast forward to the trip and our first round is at Heritage.  He is my partner and we get smoked in a 4 ball match.  But on the 18th where we are just playing for fun, I try to rip a drive and pull it left.  He, a lefty, hits a little low hook that I think might end up in the water.  I grab a club and go searching for my ball and tell him I'll be over soon to help him if he needs.   After I played my 2nd I look across the fairway and he is just standing there staring, dead still, maybe 50 feet from the water.  It isn't until I get closer that I now know why he has not played his second shot:  his ball rolled along the ground and came to rest against about a 7 foot gator that was sunning itself on the shore!  By the time I get my camera out, the critter had just slithered into the water, as shown below (and his ball stayed dry if you look closely!):

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Mayhugh

Thanks for posting the pics.  It's been several years since I played Heritage.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Fun green complexes.

Mike_Cirba

Tim,

Other than the 12th, I absolutely hated the Heritage.

I can't imagine it's as badly architected as I remembered and most of your pictures seem inoffensive enough, so perhaps I might moderate that view if I ever get there again.

Nah...probably not.  ;)

Thanks for the pictures, anyway...it's fun to look at golf courses whether we think they are well done or not.

Richard Hetzel

Thanks for the pics, I played there in December of 1999. The course does not strike me as Top 100, as I seem to not recall ANY of the holes!

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tim Gavrich

Tim,

I can't imagine it's as badly architected as I remembered and most of your pictures seem inoffensive enough, so perhaps I might moderate that view if I ever get there again.

Nah...probably not.  ;)

Thanks for the pictures, anyway...it's fun to look at golf courses whether we think they are well done or not.
Mike--

Curious as to why you disliked Heritage so strongly.  Was it the narrowness of some of the holes?  Houses on the course?  Was it in bad shape when you played?  There are certainly some controversial holes there (13 probably chief among them), so I can see it not agreeing with certain tastes.

Cheers.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike_Cirba

Tim,

Nah...probably not.  ;)

Mike--

Curious as to why you disliked Heritage so strongly.  Was it the narrowness of some of the holes?  Houses on the course?  Was it in bad shape when you played?  There are certainly some controversial holes there (13 probably chief among them), so I can see it not agreeing with certain tastes.

Cheers.

--Tim

Tim

Generally, I felt a lot of it was way overshaped, and some of the shot demands were extremely awkward and contrived.

It's a beautiful property, but I didn't feel as though the architect(s) let that shine...instead, they created some awfully ugly mounding, bunkering schemes that run from strange pots that didn't fit visually, and some very narrow and restraining dogleg holes just had me never really enjoying a course I came fully expecting to love from what I'd read in advance.

Mind you, this was all about 15-20 years ago...I still have one of those pictures they take of your group and it's amazing how young my dad and I look there, so I know it's been awhile.

In any case, it seemed to me to be a course where everyone was trying way to hard instead of letting the property speak for itself.

Hope this helps...and thanks again for the pictorial essay and memories.

Mike_Trenham

I was really disappointed by this course too as I had always really admired the other properties developed by Larry Young.  The conditions were incredible so it felt too me like an effort to create a homage to Augusta National but was really contrived with a bunch of forced carries on the back nine (my group which included mostly novice golfers lost a lot of balls that day).  If they were trying to create something like Augusta the final product seemed as unimaginative as the strip mall architecture on the other side of Washington Road.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Mark Pritchett

I am glad to read interesting takes of the course both for and against.  Wonder what my take might be.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on where to play my second round of the day.  I was leaning toward Founders Club, but would certainly consider other options.  Or should I play Caledonia or True Blue again?  I loved both of these, but wouldn't mind checking out another course this time?

Thanks!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back