News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_Jessie

Devereux Emmet Restoration Work
« on: October 28, 2008, 06:55:24 PM »
There are a number of superintendents here on Long Island that work on Devereux Emmet golf courses and many of us are doing restoration work. I have had a tough time tracking down any kind of info on his work. There do not seem to be the same resources for Devereux Emmet golf courses that are there for Ross, or any of the other big designers of that era. Anybody have any thoughts?

Kyle Harris

Re: Devereux Emmet Restoration Work
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 07:47:14 PM »
I think your best bet would be to seek out all the Dev Emmet courses you can and attempt to trace their lineage and changes. I've played one in my life (what remains of Bethpage Green) and can probably guess at some of the common styles and threads.

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 08:11:42 PM »
Adam:

One guy you may want to check with is architect Stephen Kay. I'll get you his number. How about Gil Hanse, have you checked with him at all? I just got a message from him but I thought I heard him say he was on his way to Japan. I knew he liked Japanese food but not quite that much.

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 08:20:58 PM »
Adam,
There are plenty of aerial resources, but that would be all-to-easy to suggest. A lot of Emmet will be able to be seen in the ground by knowledgeable people who study the art. It's really not that hard to read, but more intriguing.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
I would be very hesiitant of Stephen Kay having worked on Emmet courses and having successfully worked on Emmet courses are two different things.  As a source of knowledge on Emmet's features - maybe.  Have you contacted Huntington Country Club or Robert Emmons from this site.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 05:52:33 AM »
ChrisB:

I was thinking more about Stephen Kay and his Architects Club. Going around there with him one time he did have some pretty specific ideas on Emmet's architectural look and style. Whether some people, and some on here, would agree with him or not I can't say.

John Foley

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 07:15:02 AM »
Adam - Bob Cupp did a pretty good update to Leatherstocking in Cooperstown which came out great. He may be able to help.
Integrity in the moment of choice

JMorgan

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 08:02:01 AM »
Adam, see my PM. JM

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:46:15 AM »
TEPaul,

Agreed as a source of information on Emmet's features, Kay has worked on a lot of Emmet's courses and should be a good source of knoweledge.  Unfortunately, the finished products on some of those courses whether it be him or the membership, I do not know, is far from Emmet's features.

Adam,

Daniel Wexler's book Lost Links has some great pictures (that are from an American Golfer article) of Rockwood Hall (know NLE).  These pictures show several green sites with original features.  There are also some good pictures of Huntington Crescent Club's NLE course in the book as well.

Chris

Robert Emmons

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 12:37:03 PM »
Here I go:

I have been the green chair at Huntington CC for the past 7 years and handled our restoration project with Glenn Creutz our super.We brought in Ron Pritchard for a review but handled all the design and implementation in house. Huntington is a 1910 design renovated by Emmet, Emmet, and Tull in 1929. We used 1930 as the basis for any design. We also have cleared almost all trees from the course opening up the views and vista's. Let me know how we can help...RHE 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back