News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Aidan Bradley

Re: Old Head Worth It?
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 01:04:08 PM »
Last Old Head offering.......

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 04:40:31 PM »
Like everybody has said The Old Head is a great golf experience, definitely worth it. There has been some great deals there this year, the best one being a €60 green fee for groups of 16 or more.

The accomodation is great as well, a deal there would add to the value.

The cliff side holes are the highlight, the inside holes are a bit non descript.

As for Cork GC, well worth the visit, always looked after well there ;), and potentially a very interesting revamp coming up.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 05:42:41 PM »
Like everybody has said The Old Head is a great golf experience, definitely worth it. There has been some great deals there this year, the best one being a €60 green fee for groups of 16 or more.

The cliff side holes are the highlight, the inside holes are a bit non descript.

As for Cork GC, well worth the visit, always looked after well there ;), and potentially a very interesting revamp coming up.

What have you heard about the revamp?  "Sensitive restoration" to Mackenzie era?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
Haven't been there, but from the comments of friends who have I submit that only the architectural cognoscenti (whoever THEY are) don't absolutely rave about the course.  I will even wager that it will be the favorite course of no less than half of your group.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 05:59:55 PM »
Sad but true story,

Growing up in Cork I played soccer (football) rugby, tennis, and pitch and putt. The first real golf course I played was CorkGC/Little Island. With a few College friends we took the train down to Little Island and played the course. I was playing with my dads clubs. Somewhere along the way I lost his 5 iron. I called the club, no one found it or turned it in. I called every store I could to see if I could get a replacement. Finally I told my mother and explained to her that I would have to tell my Dad. At the time my father (49 years old) who was a wonderful specimen of a man was very sick and going through the final period of cancer. My mother pleaded with me not to tell him about the 5 iron because as she said "it would for sure have killed him"

Below are a few images of Cork GC.

Padraig, I will be home the weekend of Sept 18/19, maybe a pint?

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »

What have you heard about the revamp?  "Sensitive restoration" to Mackenzie era?

Bill

The revamp involves tees, bunkering and landscaping. We have clashing styles in all three at the moment, so basically it's putting a more consistent style through out the course, a more open landscape with less trees and more gorse, bunkering more in the MacKenzie style with some bunker removal, old ones brought back and some new ones, and tee renovations. I like the plan a lot.

Aidan

It's Chicago and Michigan next week for me but back on the 13th so I should be around on the 18th/19th.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tom Dunne

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 08:08:49 PM »
When Aidan brings his photos to a thread it's pretty much game over, isn't it?  ;)

Jack_Marr

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 08:35:03 PM »
When Aidan brings his photos to a thread it's pretty much game over, isn't it?  ;)

Yes, all bets are off. Aidan could make a rat look like a wren, but in the case of Old Head, it really is spectacular.
John Marr(inan)

Bill Brightly

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 08:36:51 PM »

I think he needs to work on making the sky look better in his golf pictures, don't you?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2009, 09:16:21 PM »

Bill

The revamp involves tees, bunkering and landscaping. We have clashing styles in all three at the moment, so basically it's putting a more consistent style through out the course, a more open landscape with less trees and more gorse, bunkering more in the MacKenzie style with some bunker removal, old ones brought back and some new ones, and tee renovations. I like the plan a lot.

Congratulations, Padraig, now I need to get to Cork more than ever.  Sharp Park notwithstanding, I have never been less than entranced by a Mackenzie original.  Your club at Cork is doing a great service to Mac fans everywhere.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 09:48:21 PM »
Man, I can't believe no one's answered the thread's title question with the most obvious answer.  ???

Well, I guess I won't sully a G-rated thread with it either.  :'(
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2009, 04:32:20 AM »
I believe I have a consensus.  

Matthew

Looks like I am in the minority but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit "Old Head". Aidan's photo's are fantastic and but give me a 2nd round at Lahinch any day over it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 04:34:20 AM by Kevin Pallier »

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2009, 05:24:18 AM »
I believe I have a consensus.  

Matthew

Looks like I am in the minority but I wouldn't go out of my way to visit "Old Head". Aidan's photo's are fantastic and but give me a 2nd round at Lahinch any day over it.

Kevin. 

I am 100% in your camp.  Old Head is decidedly not worth going out of one's way to play especially with some of the other options on offer. I think this is another case of being in the lot of a great course then driving away in search of what, Old Head?

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Scott Warren

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2009, 06:10:55 AM »
Though if he has non Kool-Aiders in his party, Old Head may well be the greatest thing they ever saw?

Scott Furlong

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2009, 08:25:34 AM »
If you have never played it....play it.  Make sure you take a caddy it is not an easy golf course to walk.  Long uphill walks between holes. 

Matthew Parish

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2009, 12:09:29 PM »
Great.   My trip just got a day longer and more expensive.  I had planned to make it a "links only" trip, but thanks to Aidan & Co., I would feel if I had betrayed the game if I played Old Head and failed to play Cork.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back