News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JohnV

Great Score at Morgan Creek
« on: September 19, 2008, 10:52:06 PM »
The PGA Tour just completed 4 rounds at Morgan Creek in their Pre-Qualifying for Qualifying School.  The players in this event are ones with very little or no track record.

Matt Marshall from Saratoga, CA, who is the current points leader on the NCGA Points List, shot 70-68-65-69 - 272 to beat the next best player by 12 shots.

The course was played from the back tees for the most part and from what little I saw, the greens were pretty firm.  Having played Morgan Creek once at a mini-GCA gathering, all I can say that it isn't that easy!  The 65 was a new course record.

Another Northern CA player, Kory Storer, shot 66 today with a bogey on the 18th hole.

Full scores: http://pgatq.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/pgatq8/event/pgatq82/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

Jed Peters

Re: Great Score at Morgan Creek
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 11:16:17 PM »
No kidding!

He broke my buddy Chanon's record of 66....

How did you think the course held up? I saw an average of just over 75....sure it's lower quality players, but how did it hold up to tournament play did you think?

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:26:20 PM »
John--Did they make it around the golf course in less time than the 6 hour 15 minute that Holmes/Weekley played today in the Ryder Cup?

Pace of play is purely terrible.

JSPayne

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 11:33:07 PM »
John.....I don't know what took Weekly and....well, MAINLY...Holmes, so long, but I just played the par 90 Sevillano Links course today in 6:45, so for whatever that comparison is worth.......

But not to highjack this thread.....

16 under is an amazing feat at Morgan Creek. I would rank it one of the top 3 toughest set-ups from the tips in the Sacramento area. I'm just bummed my buddy from the pro shop at my course won't be advancing. He's got one of the smoothest and purest swings I've ever seen and had 7 birdies on day one.....unfortunately still only shot 71 that day.  :-[

Guess there's always next year......but that Matt Marshall looks like one to keep an eye on. Certainly probably better golf than watching Michelle Wie stumble around.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

JohnV

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 11:53:38 PM »
The final group teed off at 10:05 this morning and they were done by approximately 3PM so just under 5 hours.

I just stopped by as a spectator and ended up reading scores to Brad Cady, the head pro, to put up on the board.

The course seemed to hold up well.  From what I heard in the scoring area, the players liked it a lot.  I only was around 3 holes (10, 17 and 18), but it looked to be in good condition.

Jed Peters

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 02:10:23 AM »

I just stopped by as a spectator and ended up reading scores to Brad Cady, the head pro, to put up on the board.

That guy's got some incredible handwriting, no?

JohnV

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 12:48:15 AM »

That guy's got some incredible handwriting, no?

He's very good.  Not quite up to Mark Passey from the USGA, but still very good.  It should be noted that Passey is an artist as well and usually draws a picture of a hole on the course with his calligraphy pens and puts it on the board.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 05:18:01 AM »
I can do that with my eyes closed.

Unfortunately I just can't seem to do it awake and with my eyes open.

Damn, those are some fantastic scores.

:-\

Jed Peters

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 01:50:34 PM »
I just played the course yesterday as it was set up for the PGA.

The course played easier than from the back tees....they pushed the tees up on a number of holes.

Also, the greens were slower than we play for the club championship.

That being said, winning by 12 shots was quite a feat. That guy is a stick.

I still say Chanon's course record sticks. He played it from the true length of the course, from the plates.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back