News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Szabo

Re:Where are you playing 2008?
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2008, 01:02:35 PM »
I see some pretty top drawer lists on here, mine is much more modest (I'm in Michigan so you'll see a theme here):

Not seen before:

The Mines
Greywalls
Forest Dunes

Regular rotation:

High Pointe
Belvedere
Arcadia Bluffs

2 courses I played in 2007 that I go to church regularly to pray I get to play them again:

Kingsley Club
Crystal Downs

JC,

Let me know if praying at church gets you a return trip.  I've got a couple that I'd like to go back to see, or see for a first time   ;D

Seriously, I'll go back and play courses such as Bayside and West Winds in Ogallala, as well as Wild Horse and a few others on our annual pilgrimmage through western Nebraska with about twenty guys.  Most of my time will be spent playing my home club (Sterling Country Club) here in northeastern Colorado with family and friends.

While I'd certainly like to visit many of the great courses that have already been mentioned, realistically, it's me and my family and friends at my local club, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Mark Smolens

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2008, 01:20:35 PM »
New courses on list:
Greenbriar in the spring with my best friend Rick who's recovering from a brain tumor, and later this summer with Rick and another fraternity brother who's joining Philadelphia Cricket Club; back to the Valley next week for return visit to Vista Verde and reprise at Saguaro, TPC Champions, and Papago from my Xmas trip.  Plus Olympia South thanks to Mr. Lavin!

Update from yesterday, Whisper Rock (Upper) on Mon. the 21st,  and some place called Royal Dunes -- which I must admit I've never even heard of before.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 02:35:39 PM by Mark Smolens »

Steve Verde

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2008, 01:08:03 AM »
The only new courses for me that I could guarentee right now are:

Pinehurst 2,7,8

Other than that I don't really know what I'm doing this year. My hopes are to play more Golden Age courses. I was thinking about the different courses that I've seen in the past couple of years and almost all of them are modern designs.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:53:14 AM by Steve Verde »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2008, 10:26:29 AM »
One I'd really like to get to, as well, is Pete Dye Golf Club in West Virginia.   I'm really interested to see where it falls within Dye's pantheon of courses, as it's very highly regarded yet rarely played.

Richard Boult

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2008, 11:18:54 AM »
I'm going to keep it simple... keep playing a handful of local courses and try to make an annual trip to Bandon.  This year, I'd like to start making another annual trip up to Monterey (only 2.5 hours away). After 3 years of playing, I've still never played a course in the bay area!

KyleH: looking forward to our round at Monarch Dunes later this month - knocking 1 course off your 2008 wish list ;)

Jim Franklin

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2008, 02:16:40 PM »
Prairie Dunes and Flint Hills I hope.

Calusa Pines this weekend along with TPC Sawgrass.

Garden City and Quaker Ridge this summer.
Mr Hurricane

Jason Topp

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2008, 02:31:20 PM »
January - A couple of Vegas courses unless the weather is too cold

February - a nine holer in Mexico near Cuernevaka that has brillo pad bermuda greens.

March - The Weiskopf course near Nassau

April - Tobacco Road, Southern Pines and one Love course in the area

June - BUDA event plus Royal Dornoch

Brett Crow

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2008, 02:36:58 PM »
I've got a golf trip in the planning stages for this summer that preliminarily includes:

The Rawls Course
Black Mesa
Paa-Ko Ridge
Lakota Canyon Ranch
Redlands Mesa

Mike Benham

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2008, 05:42:22 PM »

I love the names of the last two courses.....i wonder what kind of logos they have....

Paul

Nchanga has the Flame Liliy.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloriosa_(plant)

The Konkola GC at Chililabombwe used to have a hippo, not sure if it has been changed.

Bob

I love it when they have pictures on the scorecard ....

And note the warning on the bottom of the Local Rules ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

PThomas

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2008, 05:55:01 PM »
thanks Mike ... no daydreaming when you play there i guess!

Hippos are actually very dangerous animals that do kill people sometimes...what with that and the crocs i'd have two new excuses for a bad score....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2008, 06:49:34 PM »
Apart from playing in around home, 2007 saw me play Swinley Forest, Royal St Georges, Royal Cinque Port, Swinley Forest, Sunningdale (Old & New), Walton Heath (Old & New), The Addington & Stoke Park, so I doubt I will be travelling overseas this year. Some new & some revisits.

I will be spending a week in the Melbourne Sandbelt, so that will be nice.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2008, 10:12:12 PM »
Off to a good start thanks to NCGA.  Played Pebble Sunday.

Other than that, would like to find time for:
- Stevenson Ranch (never been)
- Soule Park (never been)
- La Purisima
- Ojai (never been)
- Stanford (never been)
- Meadow Club (never been)
- San Clemente Muni
- PG
- Bayonet (never been)
- Pasatiempo (annual pilgrimage)
- Bajamar / Real Del Mar

And many rounds at Harding Park.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Dave Givnish

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2008, 11:41:50 PM »
Summer trip isn't planned yet, but...

Desert Forest; DC Ranch; Grayhawk Raptor; We-ko-pa;
Rim Club; Chapparal Pines; Forest Highlands; maybe Tubac

RTJ; Farmington (Charlottesville)

Hoping to get to Medinah, Big Foot, and Skokie as well

Cory Brown

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2008, 12:45:37 AM »
I too will be finally taking my first trip to Bandon this year.  We are playing in February so the weather should be interesting.  Limited daylight and a short trip, mean we will probably only get in two rounds; one at Bandon, one at Pacific.
I understand that the practice course is incredible, so maybe after the first day we will be able to spend some time there.

Not sure where else other than that, I have never played Fircrest C.C. in Tacoma.  And maybe return trips to Sahalee, Seattle and Aldarra.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2008, 02:01:41 AM »
Add Bayonet to my list. ;)
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2008, 11:09:04 PM »
Courses I've not played before that I'm hoping to drive to this coming year, by state.   If I can get to 80% of them it will be a fantastic year.  Of course, I'm also hoping to get in some air travel, as well.  ;D

PA

Bedford Springs (Oldham/Ross/Tilly)
Wyoming Valley (Bendelow/Tilly)
Saucon Valley (Any or All) (Strong/Maxwell/Gordons/Fazio)
Oakmont (Fownes)
Irem Temple (Tilly)
Berkshire (Park Jr.)
Spring-Ford (Meehan)
Berwick (Meehan)

DE

Bidermann (Wilson)
Saint Anne's (Liddicoat/Coruzzi/Furyk)

NJ

Bayonne (Bergstol)
Manasquan River (White)
Essex County (Tilly/Raynor/Banks)
Mountain Ridge (Ross)
Forsgate (Banks)
Deal (Von Etten/Ross)
Liberty National (Cupp/Kite)
Somerset Hills (Tilly)
Glen Ridge (Park Jr.)

MD

Riddle Farms (Both) (Weiman)
Compass Pointe (Ervin)
Blue Mash (Hills)
Elkridge (Raynor)
Four Streams (Smyers)
Hunters Oak (Scott-Taylor)

NY

Laurel Links (Moran)
Troy (Travis)
Monroe (Ross)
Mill Creek (Hearn/Albanese)
Inwood (Eriksen/Strong/Mackie)
Wykagyl (A host of dead guys)

VA

Royal New Kent (Strantz)
Kinloch (George)

NC

Pinehurst #2 (Ross)
Tobacco Road (Strantz)

MA

Kittansett (Flynn)
Eastward Ho (Fowler)

I thought it might be interesting to revive this thread and see how folks are doing.

In retrospect, I think I've had a very good year and played a number of courses I hadn't expected to  (including a number in northern MI), but it's always an interesting exercise to compare goals versus accomplishments in any endeavor.

Above was the goal, below is the reality YTD.

PA

Bedford Springs (Oldham/Ross/Tilly)
Wyoming Valley (Bendelow/Tilly)
Saucon Valley (Old) Strong/Maxwell/Gordons/Fazio)
Berwick (Meehan)

NJ

Bayonne (Bergstol)
Essex County (Tilly/Raynor/Banks) soon
Glen Ridge (Park Jr.)

NY

Monroe (Ross)
Inwood (Eriksen/Strong/Mackie) soon

John Moore II

Re: Where are you playing 2008?
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2008, 11:15:58 PM »
I guess I'd like to see it revived as well, but it has all ready been revived a bit before, about a month ago. A new thread was created.

PThomas

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2008, 11:19:41 PM »
my first trip to Long Island Next week :)...Sebonack and Southampton, Engineers i think, rest still TBD
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2008, 11:20:28 PM »
John K...

Sorry...guess I missed that one.

I'm about a month behind generally these days, but someday I'll catch up again.  ;)

John Moore II

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2008, 11:21:42 PM »

Ed Oden

« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2008, 12:02:21 AM »
I am new to GCA, so I will make my first post an easy one.  

Definites for 2008 are:

Congressional
Plainfield
Sherwood CC
LACC
Old Town
Charlotte CC (newly restored)
Diamond Creek (as many times as I can get there)
Palmetto GC (during Masters week)

I also hope to play some of the following, mostly as add-ons to the above trips:

Burning Tree
Baltimore CC
Caves Valley
Kinloch
Pine Valley
Merion
Aronomink
Somerset Hills
Morris County
Riviera

I've been very fortunate this year:

Charlotte
Irish Creek
Harding Park
Yeamans Hall
Sage Valley
CC of Virginia
Baltimore (Five Farms)
Congressional (Blue and Gold)
Mimosa Hills
Diamond Creek
Grandfather
Huntingdon Valley
Salisbury
Old Town
Sand Hills
Ballyneal
Linville

Hopefully I will get to a few more places this fall.

Ed

Cory Lewis

« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2008, 07:38:22 AM »
Going into 2008 I know exactly where I'm going to be so I can set some definitive goals:

Cape Cod Trip:

Wannamoisett, Eastward Ho, Oyster Harbors, Sankaty Head, Essex, maybe TCC

I want to get up to Mountain Ridge and Engineers because I've heard so many positive comments about them from people on this site.  

My number one goal for 2008 is to visit The Creek for the first time.

Other than that I'm looking forward to playing in the Section Assistants Championship at my home course, and playing in three other section events at very nice Flynn courses, Lehigh, Lancaster, and Rolling Green.  Should be a great year.

Well I've failed miserably in my goals for 2008.  I failed to realize that my wife has power of veto over all trips so instead of cape cod we are going to Cleveland(Wife prefers visiting the rock & roll hall of fame instead of watching me play golf for five days, imagine that!). 

I didn't make it up to Mountain Ridge, though I still might try to later in the year and The Creek is proving to be an impossible dream because of the difficulty in getting on.   Maybe I shouldn't set goals because it's so unpredictable, I never would have guessed that I would end up making a Lawsonia/Whistling/Chicago trip this year or that I would be playing golf in Cleveland and Columbus for three days coming up. 

I did manage to play in some PGA Sections events at some very nice Flynn courses.  Lancaster remains my favorite Flynn in the Philly area and Lehigh was better than I remembered.  Overall it's been a great year.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Andy Troeger

« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2008, 08:36:51 AM »
My 2008 trips seem like they will be based more on seeing family and friends in some cases than going to visit specific golf courses. Granted, I'll be taking my clubs on all those trips!

Jackson Hole, WY/Idaho Falls, ID
Back to South Bend, IN at least once, maybe twice.
Columbus, OH
Oklahoma City

Other than that I'll do some long weekend type trips around the southwest, going back to Flagstaff, Phoenix, and maybe Denver Salt Lake City, and/or Dallas. I'm going to try to see some of the new courses in the area including Butterfield Trail, Cougar Canyon, and Rainmakers, plus hopefully some of the NM courses I haven't played already: Las Campanas, Inn of the Mountain Gods, and a few remaining in Albuquerque.

If I have any vacation left after that who knows what I'll come up with!  ;D

Appears that I've been more ambitious than my original schedule indicated although I missed some of what I thought I would see.

Went to Phoenix--played Desert Highlands, Longbow, Blackstone, Quintero, Superstition Mountain Prospector, Stone Canyon, and Pointe at Lookout Mountain.

Didn't go to Flagstaff--doesn't appear that I'm going to. Didn't play Rainmakers or Inn of the Mountain Gods either--waiting until next year. Played Las Campanas Sunrise with Sunset coming up shortly.

The Oklahoma City trip kind of morphed into a wider area trip coming up next weekend, should be fun.

Played 3 Creek Ranch in Jackson, WY and also Promontory Nicklaus and Dye and Willow Creek in Salt Lake.

Went to Columbus and played Muirfield Village, Northstar, OSU Scarlet, and Wedgewood (repeat).

Went to Seattle and played Chambers Bay, Aldarra, and Sahalee.

Played in Colorado a couple times--Sanctuary, Hiwan, Ballyneal, Cougar Canyon, Four Mile Ranch, Roaring Fork, CC of the Rockies, Adam's Mountain, Red Sky Fazio and Norman, and Ironbridge. I love Colorado golf.

Tried to play Olympia Fields North while back visiting South Bend but got rained out--did see Beeches GC in South Haven, MI and replayed Point O'Woods and Warren GC.

Played Four Hills in Albuquerque for the first time, still need to go down to Las Cruces to play Picacho Hills. Might get to Las Vegas in November for a seminar, if I do I'm playing Wolf Creek and Southern Highlands. That'll be it, but its been another good year even if I stop now.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2008, 08:49:59 AM »
Played Minikahda last week and will play Calusa Pines and Naples National in early October.  Hoping to make a Northland CC and The Wilderness at Fortune Bay in MINN before the snow flies. Then hanging up the sticks until Phoenix / Globe in February.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2008, 10:12:58 PM »
Cory,

Where will you play in C and C (Cleveland and Columbus)?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back