News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSPayne

2008 Resolutions Check-Up
« on: August 19, 2008, 08:50:57 AM »
I dug up this old post of "Where do you want to play in 2008?" to remind me of my golfing goals for the year and see how I'm doing.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32695.0.html

Here's my progress:

My list (in no particular order, heavily loaded in NorCal):

For-Sures...

Diamond Oaks
Nakoma - WILL HAPPEN....I owe my dad a round here for a birthday gift
Sevillano Links - DONE...in the spring. Very fun, not as challanging as one might think when played from the right tees.
Wente Vineyards - WILL HAPPEN...on my list for an upcoming Bay Area trip
Poppy Ridge
Monarch Dunes - DONE....best course I've played this year...in my top 10 of all time
Presidio & Crystal Springs
Sharon Heights CC
Cameron Park CC - WILL HAPPEN....just got an invitation and it's only just down the road

Hopefuls (in other words, ones I might need a little help getting on to)...

Del Monte CC
Pasatiempo - DONE...played for my brother's bachelor party and I loved the finished restoration work
Del Paso CC - HOPEFULLY SOON.....have an invitation, just waiting to hear when
Winchester CC
Valley Club

Re-visits to Old Stomping Grounds...

Plumas Lake - DONE....new, very interesting greens, a bit out of place with the rest of the layout, but alot more fun than the previous greens
Southridge
Dairy Creek

How is everyone else doing on their 2008 hopefuls?
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Jason Topp

Re: 2008 Resolutions Check-Up
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:01:57 PM »
Interesting to see what I thought and what happened.  I'm doing better than my list.

January - A couple of Vegas courses unless the weather is too cold - YES TO BOTH

February - a nine holer in Mexico near Cuernevaka that has brillo pad bermuda greens. - NO - NO TIME

March - The Weiskopf course near Nassau - NO. KIDS TOO MUCH FUN

April - Tobacco Road, Southern Pines and one Love course in the area - YES BUT ITINERARY CHANGED TO INCLUDE TOT HILL FARM AND CHARLOTTE COUNTRY CLUB

June - BUDA event plus Royal Dornoch - YES PLUS BRORA AND GULLANE NO 1 WITH MY KIDS

Not on list but either have played or will:

Vista Verde - thanks Tom Yost
Woodhill
Hazeltine
Sutton Bay
Kiawah

Tom Birkert

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 01:09:57 PM »
I had planned as follows:

I'm planning on re-visiting California, and playing Pebble Beach and Cypress Point again, but I want to add MPCC and also do Olympic and SFGC. If I have time on the trip I will try to play LACC or Sherwood. I'll go to Palm Springs again as I want to see what The Madison is like.

A trip to the East coast is also mooted, with the plan being to do Winged Foot, Pine Valley, NGLA, Shinnecock etc. We're just trying to confirm numbers and access.

One of my best friends is getting married at Turnberry so I'm turning that into a long weekend, going to fly to Edinburgh and play Muirfield, then drive over to Prestwick, play Turnberry and finally Royal Troon.

Should keep me busy!

As it trainspired, unfortunately the trip to CA didn't materialise (it might do in Oct!) but I did get to the East Coast and although I missed out on Winged Foot that was more than compensated for by Merion, Shinnecock, NGLA, Pine Valley, Bethpage Black, Deepdale, Kiawah Island, Pinehurst 2 and Pine Needles. It was an incredible experience.

In the UK I managed Muirfield, but was injured so missed out on Prestwick, Troon and Turnberry although I did walk them while friends played. I recently went up and played Loch Lomond and Dundonald.

I'm off to Morforntaine and Chantilly at the end of October.

Kyle Henderson

Re: 2008 Resolutions Check-Up New
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »
Riviera: March
Ballyneal: June
El Niguel: March
Monarch Dunes: January
MPCC-Dunes:
Spanish Bay: January
Redlands Mesa:
Peacock Gap: April
Aetna Springs:
Pasatiempo: April
Oak Quarry:
Sevillano Links:
Cache Creek:

Stevinson Ranch (x 10): X3
Mountain House  (x 35): X12. Closed its doors in June! :'(

Notable additions:
Olympic Club-Lake: March
Harding Park: May
Edgewood: May
Sand Hills: June
Dismal River: June
Winchester CC: July
Diablo CC: August

Bandon Dunes Resort coming in November! :D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:14:32 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

John Moore II

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 03:26:40 PM »
Pinehurst (All)--Played 1, part of 2, 3, 5, and 7. The others will come
Forest Creek--Played North course, likely to play South
Old Works--No, and won't happen
Atlanta Athletic Club--No, and not very likely as I have no current plans to make it to Atlanta
Hasentree--Yes
Mid Ocean--No, and no chance really. Not sure why I even put it down.
The Country Club (Salt Lake City)--No, may be able to swing playing here when I return to SLC in October. Thanksgiving Point took the place of SLCCC
PGA National--No, but given the semi-close distance, I may try to take a trip down later in the year
PGA Golf Club--Yes, all
Seminole--No, and most likely won't happen, I had hoped to play while I was in Florida, but it did not happen.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 04:29:48 PM »
Wish List/Planned List at beginning of 2008:

-  St. George's (Toronto)  Not Yet - Have an invite to play in mid-September
-  The National No
-  Bandon Dunes Resort  NO - Didn't have enough time in the spring to make the trip
-  Ancaster (Hamilton G&CC)  No
-  Niagara Falls CC (Tillinghast)  Not Yet - Looks like I'll be playing in a tourney there in early September though
-  Oak Hill No
-  Scioto/Muirfield Village/Firestone/Double Eagle (Ohio Trip) Had an invite to all four courses in Mid-September but declined due to the pending arrival of our first child
-  Merion No
-  Winged Foot No
-  Bethpage (Black) No

Not very successful as you can see! :)  I was fortunate, however, to play the following this year:

- Thornhill G&CC (Stanley Thompson)
- Eagles Nest (Carrick)
- Brantford G&CC (Stanley Thompson)
- Club at Bond Head - South Course (Jason Straka)
- Hammock Beach Resort (Ocean and Conservatory Courses)

I also will be playing Oviinbird (Thomas McBroom) for the first time on Monday next week, so that is a nice bonus as well!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back