News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Smolens

Re: Brackenridge Park, San Antonio
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 02:37:07 PM »
Thanks Trey.  I will try to get on as a single on either Saturday the 27th or Tuesday the 30th.  Look forward to seeing the course. . .

Lou_Duran

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2008, 03:23:51 PM »
I have half dozen or so recent pics on the course from the architect's own archives which I can email someone who can post them.  Otherwise, I can do it maybe tomorrow if I can figure out how.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 07:14:04 PM »
Had a chance to play Brackenridge Park last Tuesday before coming home from watching my Wildcats punt away their chances of beating missouri in the Alamo Bowl.  First group out, slight frost delay.  What a fun, fun golf course.  Not as demanding as Wyatt Halliday's Oak Hills CC -- another Tillinghast design that I had the privilege of playing with Wyatt on the previous Saturday -- but a really fine golf experience.

Sorry about the absence of photos -- I'm neither camera nor internet capable in that regard -- but this is definitely a municipal golf course that is worth playing.  Square and rectangularly shaped greens (is that a Tillinghast feature?) were in great shape, esp. for a course that has just recently reopened.  Tons of trees, but the locals we were paired with said that there had been mucho tree removal.  Site appears to be a tad crowded -- easy to hit balls into other fairways might require hardhats (tho as the first group out we saw no one. . . the group behind us was never in sight).  Beautifully bunkered green complexes, and undulations on the putting surfaces to challenge anyone.  Probably too short a course to challenge the big hitters of the world, but anyone making a visit to the Alamo City should make a point to visit. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back