News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike McGuire

restoration construction costs
« on: September 15, 2008, 01:16:05 PM »
I need some budget numbers for a presentation to our board tomorrow night.
Worst case scenario. Can not do in house :(

1- add sand to grassed over green side or fairway bunker.  2500 square feet.
2- build fairway bunker,  Langford style, with sand.

Thanks for your help

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Phil McDade

Re: restoration construction costs
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 02:19:24 PM »
For those interested.....

This is from the front nine at West Bend CC, a wonderful nine-hole stretch by Langford and Moreau. Mike -- which holes are these?

Mike McGuire

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 03:22:54 PM »
Both are the par five 3rd

Bill Brightly

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 03:39:41 PM »
I don't know the cost of building a bunker (I'd guess $15,000 each including drainage) but can you please throw in a few extra bucks to cut down that White Pine?

Scott Witter

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 04:10:59 PM »
Mike:

I think you may need to consider some additional needs that will/could in turn result in more costs.  Such as, does the bunker, greenside or FW have drainage?  Doubtful, and if it did, it should probably be replaced, so this will need to be added.  How far would the exit tile from the bunker have to run to connect with a main drain line on the course, or to day light to an out of play area?

A. Remove sod, old sand and soil & excavate to depth required ( I presume it is close the depth that the club wants and only minimal cleaning is needed).
B. Add new underdrainage (HDPE pipe smooth interior wall, fill trench with gravel or sand.  Includes installation of an exit tile - let's assume 150 LF is needed.
C. I presume no liner is needed, so compact the floor of the bunker and cut the edge to size and shape desired.
D.  Install sand- the act of doing so is fairly cheap, but the product costs can be all over the place..from as little as maybe $8-$10/Ton for a local product to $75/TON for some of the processed 'high performance' bunker sands on the market.  This is a very subjective component to each club, though testing labs and the USGA are constantly trying to make it more objective based on a complicated set of parameters.
E. There may be some resodding around the edge when done

So for a 2,500 SF bunker using the outline above and using 4-5" of sand with an average cost of say $40/TON, you could expect to see total costs to range between $4,000-$5,500.

This could shift up or down a fair amount depending on amount of underdrainage, exit tile and type/quality of sand used.

Building a new bunker--here again it depends on the site conditions, such as is it condusive for a bunker? is there much excavation needed? If the cut is fairly clean and the area of disturbance can be kept contained, then sodding will be cheaper.  How much exit tile needed?  I presume you are speaking about a new bunker around the same 2,500 SF size?

So, following the same basic components above and knowing that you will need to remove several trucks, or many dump trailers of soil and use a fair amount sod to finish it off you could spend between $8,000-$10,000.

Once again, these could swing up or down easily depending on amount of soil to remove, drainage and quality of sand used.

A 2,500 SF bunker is a fairly big bunker, but for Langford and Moreau it fits the scale they often used.

Good luck with this ;)

Scott Witter

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 04:40:02 PM »
Mike,

I should have noted that these are the range of costs we find in the northeast US.  If you are in CT, southeast NY, anywhere around NYC, NJ, or Philly areas, these costs will be much more at perhaps an additional 35%-40% premium.  I honestly don't know what the costs would be in the midwest where your course is located.  I would venture to say that they should be reasonably close.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 05:06:58 PM »
Scott writes: "$75/TON for some of the processed 'high performance' bunker sands on the market"

I'd say be careful with this...as good as this sand is, if you don't already have this sand in your bunkers, you may be leading your club down a path of replacing all the sand...Especially if the members really like the new sand!

Ron Farris

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:29:30 AM »
I did a bunker redo 2 years ago and it cost an average of $5,00 per bunker.
This included a bunker liner, minimal drainage, and sand at a cost of 35$ delivered to the site.
Good Luck,

Scott Witter

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 08:47:13 AM »
Bill:

You are quite correct and we all should be careful with sand recommendations.  I usually let the committee choose the sand after playing it in other courses in the area, if possible.  With private clubs it is often getting similar playing conditions as the other clubs in the market area and more often than not, they don't listen to the architect when it comes to choosing sand :P

Personally, I really don't care what they use, it is my job I believe to present them options and make sure they understand the consequences of their future decision, by informing them of the different sand performance qualities.

Ron, I too have built many a good bunker for similar costs...so much depends on soil type, excavation needed, style of bunker, drainage needed, or not, labor rates, material costs in the region, etc.  Honestly, the costs can really range wide.  At $5 SF/bunker, Mike's bunker could cost $12,500...not cheap and that is with $35/TON sand.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 12:25:48 PM »
It should be between $5,000 and $10,000 per bunker based on size and on the amount of detail required in shaping.  It could be less than that if you're restoring an old grassed-over bunker and just need to cut sod, install drainage and put in the sand.  It could be more if there is a lot of irrigation around the bunkers to be avoided and/or repaired.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 12:06:16 AM »
Thanks for all the input. Very helpful.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back