News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

St George's Hill (pictures)
« on: September 14, 2008, 02:32:31 PM »
Sean posted some pictures a few weeks back when we played this course - with his customary high quality comment. At the time I was not able to post my pictures - but on the basis you can never have to have too much of a good thing, here are some - spared of commentary. If you want the commentary, look up Sean's thread!

Tony_Muldoon

Re: St George's Hill (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 03:57:46 PM »
Q what's JK's idea of Hell?

A A round with two golfers carrying camera's.

Great pics Philip, are you still using the Sony? Seem better quality than I'm getting with a 7. 1 Pixel Olympus.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 04:12:07 PM »
my goodness that place looks unbelievable.

anyone have a theory why its not top 50 in the rankings?

thanks for the pics

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 04:31:21 PM »
Philip,

I'm yet to visit St. George's Hill, but it's high on my to-see list. Thanks for the photos.

Could you offer a description of the last photo in your set? This looks like a very interesting, extremely unique hole.

Thanks in advance,
jeffmingay.com

Philip Gawith

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 04:55:12 PM »
same camera Tony!

Jeff, the last pic is the 18th, 360 yards off club marker, 390 off the back. The flag visible on the left is the contiguous 9th green. The 18th flag is just visible against the trunk of the right hand of the two tall trees. Essentially you drive for position and then have a short iron/wedge to the green. The optimal drive has you at the bottom left of the fairway - not really possible to stop it anywhere else. The real difficulty of the hole lies in judging distance to the elevated green. And then the green itself has a very sharp right to left slope which makes putting treacherous.

If you look back to the picture of the 9th hole, with the clubhouse behind it, you get a different angle with the 9th green below and the 18th green up behind it. Mr Arble would like to unify the greens!

Chip, Tom Doak has this course in his Gourmet Choice so it does have its fans - though it is true, even in the UK, that it is spoken of much less than a number of the other heathland courses.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 05:38:56 PM »
Thanks for the description, Philip.

Take a look at that photo, as I saw it originally, and imagine it as a short par-4. Pretty cool looking, actually!
jeffmingay.com

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 05:43:51 PM »
Thanks for the description, Philip.

Take a look at that photo, as I saw it originally, and imagine it as a short par-4. Pretty cool looking, actually!

Jeff

Hitting to the 9th looks cool, but because of the falloff on the backside (what would be the left side of the green as approached properly) it would be a nightmare to hold.  You would have to call it a Disney hole!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back