News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

The ULTIMATE thread on the HISTORY of Merion East....
« on: September 01, 2008, 11:15:20 PM »
...RELAX.....just KIDDING!

;) ::) :P :-*

John Moore II

Re: The ULTIMATE thread on the HISTORY of Merion East....
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:12:50 AM »
Tom--you almost made me crap my pants and have a heart attack at the same time. I was rightly worried.

David_Elvins

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 01:43:05 AM »

I think it is far more interesting to find out if Colt design Merion West.  Travel documents and the style of the course would indicate so.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 10:48:01 AM »
DavidE:

We do know that Colt was within about 35 miles at least of Merion West (he was at Pine Valley then) when the club was designing and building the course so that alone should be proof positive that Harry Colt routed and designed Merion West and was the primary creative force behind it.

Plus some also know that even in 1913 Hugh Wilson and his amateur member committee were still rank novices in architecture and probably just standing around looking at the raw land of Merion West with their heads up their asses so it makes complete sense that Harry Colt must have stopped by and done the whole thing for them.

Not only does it make complete sense it should probably be considered a virtual certainty.

But as some independent and expert research someone should try to research the state of Fred Pickering at that time. He could've done Merion West on his own but he was apparently hitting the bottle super hard during that project according to some Merion letters which are all probably nothing more than a series of lies anyway, particularly as some really good independent and expert researchers have already proven that everyone connected to MCC were all some really sophisiticated hyperbolists!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 10:50:33 AM by TEPaul »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 10:50:50 AM »
Tom - I can see Pickering Creek from my house.  Does that mean that I am somehow connected too?

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 10:51:18 AM »
It just so happens that I spoke with Pickering's great granddaughter this morning.  Very interesting.  Pickering met Flynn's sister at Wollaston when he worked on the golf course and she worked in the clubhouse.  

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
If you meant "final," rather than "the best," I think many people might hope you weren't kidding.   ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:05:43 PM »
Yeah, right Wayne.

Generally families are the worst resource to tell you about their own families and their histories and furthermore if she's talking about anyone that had anything to do with MCC or Merion it must be serious hyperbole or a downright lie.

Furthermore, even if I started this thread for downright levity and a joke----come on, look at what we've already learned this morning about Merion West----eg that Harry Colt of England definitely routed and designed the course and must have been the creative force behind it. I think that's proof enough, don't you? Let's go immediately tell Merion G.C. about this new incredible discovery about the history of their second course.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:31:46 PM by TEPaul »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 12:43:40 PM »
Tom - have you uncovered the details of the history of MW's volcano bunker?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 03:26:19 PM »
I was sure this was Tom's lead in to a political discussion.
 :D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back