News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

The routing at CRAIL
« on: August 07, 2010, 02:13:23 AM »

Isn't it what the land gives you? I love the finishing holes.The finish speeks GOLF.It is not championship golf but it is GOLF at its core.

Agreed?

Anthony

Steve Kline

Re: The routing at CRAIL
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 06:10:41 AM »
I love Crail. Sure some of the holes run parallel, are straight, and close together. But that is a fun golf course. The last 5 or 6 holes are great fun. Both times I've been there the wind was quite strong. I haven't had more fun creating shots than at Crail.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 09:54:35 AM »
I also like Crail and found the experience great whenever it was dry.  Love the finish, lots of fun golfing required. 
Value-wise I always thought the 50 pounds there was better than the 160 up the coast at KB, altho for some reason most of the NA players preferred spending more.   36 on the Balcomie in 6 hours is the fun way to play golf in Scotland - then squeeze in another 36 on the Himalayas in the late afternoon.  Brilliant. 

routing: OK the second round.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 02:52:13 PM »
I love that course and routing but you have to be aware of the adjoining holes. It gets real tight up there on top of the hill, balls flying from all directions!  :o

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »
Considering the course is built on just 80 acres, I think the finished product is remarkable.

Keith Phillips

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 10:14:02 PM »
80 acres!  That I didn't know - have played Balcomie on three trips and Craighead once - LOVE Balcomie and really enjoyed/respected Craighead as pure golf - must be the best overseas membership option - great price, classic waterfront links with excellent modern course as well - not sure why but i actually feel like i'm leaving the heart of Balcomie when i head around the bend to the last holes...i far prefer the first 14

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 10:37:56 PM »
80 acres!  That I didn't know - have played Balcomie on three trips and Craighead once - LOVE Balcomie and really enjoyed/respected Craighead as pure golf - must be the best overseas membership option - great price, classic waterfront links with excellent modern course as well - not sure why but i actually feel like i'm leaving the heart of Balcomie when i head around the bend to the last holes...i far prefer the first 14

But I always think #16, "Spion Kop," is the best of the par 3's!

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »
Ya gotta love the cave in the cliff face under the clubhouse.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 01:17:34 AM »
Getting them to serve two bottles of champagne with our 8am coffees wasn't easy. Most disappointing!
Cave Nil Vino

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 12:15:17 AM »
Ralph,

"Ya gotta love the cave in the cliff face under the clubhouse."

I notice your Golf in the Kingdom reference in your signature. Now is this "cave" the same cave that Crail members believe Seamus MacDuff hides out in?

Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 01:17:05 AM »

I just think the finish is a treat.You always leave that course on a good note and because you are happy that climb up that hill doesn't seem so taxing.

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back