News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Chapman

Remembering Johnny Goodman
« on: June 10, 2008, 04:24:45 PM »
In Nebraska, we don't have much golf history. We do, however, fondly remember Johnny Goodman (pictured below). This week, on the 75th anniversary of him winning the US Open at North Shore, Omaha World-Herald writer Stu Pospisil recalls from newspaper archives his week.

Remembering Omaha's only champion: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10353768

First round recap: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10354249

Second round recap: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10354250

Matt_Ward

Re: Remembering Johnny Goodman
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:14:26 PM »
Tony:

The story of Goodman traveling by rail to Pebble for the US Amateur is a classic one. Too bad a movie was not made out of his life.

Jason Hines

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:34:57 PM »
Matt, you might have been the one that recommended this book to me, "The King of Swings" by Michael Blaine.  It paints a very stark but realistic picture of Omaha, golf and the world during the 30s. 

I remember when the city of Omaha renamed Applewood golf course to Johnny Goodman, I swear half of the people didn't know who he was.

J.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 09:04:58 PM »
Thanks for posting that, Tony.

I knew nothing about young Mr. Goodman, but this paints a nice if very short picture of the time:

"Playing late in the day and finishing when the sun was sinking across the Illinois plains, Goodman brought in a sensational 66... He started in midafternoon with no gallery other than his caddy, his partner and his scorer. Who was going to watch the Omaha kid ..."

Ah, words, when used well....

Peter

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 09:25:07 AM »
Today's update on the third and fourth rounds, where Goodman built a big lead and then held off a charging Ralph Guildahl for the win. He became just the third man to beat par in the US Open.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10355051

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 12:06:56 PM »
Jason:

The book by Blaine is an excellent one.

Goodman's success are vastly underrated when compared to the ink you see for the likes of Chick Evans, Francis Ouimet and others of that type / generation. Given what he overcame and what he accomplished is truly remarkable.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 08:09:36 PM »
I grew up down the street from North Shore, and always enjoyed the story of Johnny Goodman. The last Am to win the Open.
H.P.S.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:50:29 AM »

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »
Johnny got a mention today on Sportcenter by Andy North.
H.P.S.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 10:51:33 PM »
I must say that I have been a litlte (though only a little ) perplexed by the lack of coverage of the 75th anniversary of Goodman's feat. Go Rickie Fowler! That would be a much bigger story than knee surgery or another Open without a left handed winner. Who wants to bet that Mr. Fowler has never heard of Johnny Goodman?
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 09:31:17 AM »
As recent as Wednesday, my brother called me and said, "I like Ricky Fowler." He was smiling last night. Kid, apparently, has some game. His OSU teammate Kevin Tway faired well too with 75.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back