News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

ODG and their swings
« on: June 08, 2014, 07:27:26 PM »
Anybody know of footage of some of the Golden Age architects and their swings?

Hunter, Colt, Tillie, Macdonald, MacKenzie, Thomas and others? I'd love to see some of them in action on course...

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tom_Doak

Re: ODG and their swings
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
Matthew:

Interesting question.  I have never seen footage of any of the architects you named.  I'm curious if anyone knows of any.

Macdonald seems quite unlikely, unless it was a very old Macdonald ;)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »
I wonder if there is anything in the ASGCA archives, or if Geoffrey Cornish would have been able to answer that question or point to where such a film might be found.  The early still photos of early members of ASGCA, may suggest someone may also have had a film camera as well.  Just from the acquaintances they knew, I'd think Dr. MacKenzie living into early 30s, Ross to 40s and Thomas and his So Cal contacts were the most likely to know someone that captured them making a swing on the course.  I doubt it would be much more than a chance capture and not something they would have posed for specifically.  But, as someone above said, it would be in their elder years, probably not too pretty.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Neil Regan

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »
Here is C. B. Macdonald from Whigham's 1898 book, How to Play Golf
courtesy of Google Books

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 10:07:03 PM »
Wow!  I swing just like that follow through action when my right rib cage gets strained-separated.  I guess that is the early version of the stinger, low and under the wind.  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 12:20:45 AM »
No wonder he cut the ball. Check out that low hands finish.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back