News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

The National Trust for Historic reservation released today its top 11 most endangered places.  The list includes buildings and areas such as,

Great Fall Portage in Great Falls, Montana
The Statler Hilton Hotel in Dallas
Vizcaya Gardens and Museum in Miami

The entire article is at http://archrecord.construction.com/news/daily/archives/080521endangered.asp

The point is, is there an endangered list of golf courses?

Some courses are in danger by neglect, Mackenzies Sharp Park in California as an example.

Others such as Pebble Beach by the hand of Arnold Palmer might be a choice?

Please provide your choices.

Adam Clayman

Re: Nat. Trust for Historic Preservation most endangered places
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:09:41 AM »
Joel, Seems like Lincoln Park is on the road to qualify. Knowing how futile it is expecting a city to do the right thing, in SF, it must be doubly so.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Chapman

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:14:09 AM »
"Others such as Pebble Beach by the hand of Arnold Palmer might be a choice?"

Joel,
Could you elaborate please?

Thank you,
Dan

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 10:19:42 AM »
Dan, I won't speak for Joel, but my understanding of his remark is that the powers that be at Pebble Beach have no clue on what constitutes great gca. Their recent, and not so recent, changes proves that.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan Chapman

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:29:34 AM »
Adam,

Thanks, I assumed that is what he meant but for some reason the wording threw me off.  Reading it again I'm not quite sure why.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:36:36 AM »
Arnie gets the rap, perhaps unfairly, because IMO, these decisions are obviously done by committee.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 11:35:22 AM »
Joel,

Sadly I would say Sharpe Park is already gone.  I don't think there is really anything left there that is MacKenzie, even though its still a golf course.

Lincoln Park though can still be saved and with a bit of TLC can be turned into a fantastic gem.  As has been said before, it'd be the perfect place to hold a PGA match play event, even if it was in the silly season.  With the draw of San Fran and a decent size last place check I'm sure they could draw a very nice 16 man event in November when the weather is the best in them parts.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back