News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

A real Honour for a native of Scotland

The following motion was passed at the scottish parliament
S3M-1961 Ted Brocklebank: 100th Anniversary of the Death of Old Tom Morris—That the Parliament notes that 24 May 2008 is the 100th anniversary of the death of Old Tom Morris, a native St Andrean and a pioneer of professional golf; recognises that Old Tom won the Open four times, including in 1867 at the age of 46, and that he still holds the record as the oldest Open winner as well as being part of the only father/son duo to be winner and runner-up; further notes that Old Tom was also a clubmaker, "keeper of the greens" at St Andrews Old Course and the designer responsible for remodelling some 75 courses from Muirfield to Prestwick and from Carnoustie to Askernish, South Uist, and considers that Old Tom more than anyone was responsible for establishing Scotland as the World Home of Golf.

Supported by: James Kelly, Stuart McMillan, George Foulkes, Rob Gibson, Elizabeth Smith, Patricia Ferguson, Mike Pringle, Nanette Milne, Bill Aitken, Jamie McGrigor, Christina McKelvie, John Lamont, Joe FitzPatrick, Murdo Fraser, Alex Johnstone, Kenneth Gibson, Bill Kidd, Bob Doris, Jim Hume, John Scott*, Brian Adam*, David McLetchie*, Jackson Carlaw*, Mary Scanlon*, Tavish Scott*, Alasdair Allan*, Sandra White*, Tricia Marwick*, Jamie Hepburn*, Gil Paterson*, Jack McConnell*

Phil_the_Author

Re: Scottish Parliament Pass the following Motion Re Old Tom Morris
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:31:35 AM »
Melvyn,

They really recognized him as Keeper of the "Greens"? I find that so ironical; do you think he would have corrected them, telling them that the golf course is properly called a "Green" and the he was not just in charge of the putting surfaces?

I know it is a little thing and that they wanted to properly honor him, but to think that the Scottish Parliament couldn't get that right! It sounded, well... American!  ;D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 10:35:16 AM »
Philip

The Title is “Keeper of the Green” and you are right in that the Victorian age called golf courses Greens, so Old Tom was appointed ‘Keeper of the Green’ not Greens. But it’s not as bad as Golf Monthly crediting Old Tom with winning the Championship Belt outright and thus being responsible
for the ‘Claret Jug’.

If they get that wrong you have to ask the question what else have they missed or reported incorrectly. Their credibility in knowing and researching their subject  ‘Golf’ has been badly damaged.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 04:37:02 PM »
I guess if you meant to say that he was in charge of all courses in St Andrews, you might call him "Keeper of the Greens". But they were talking about the Old Course only, so it makes no sense.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back