News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Architecture and Sex
« on: May 15, 2008, 02:42:15 PM »
This is a New York Times interview with the founder of Pin-Up magazine, who combines architecture and sex as the basis of the publication. Would a magazine combining sex and golf course architecture work? (I can't wait to read the responses from the Tom Doak fan club on this one.)

Here is the direct link: http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/12/for-the-moment-felix-burrichter/#more-806

I've pasted the story below.

May 12th, 2008 11:31 AM
For the Moment | Felix Burrichter
By Felix Burrichter

(Kenneth Pietrobono)

This week’s guest blogger is Felix Burrichter, a New York-based architect. Burrichter, who was born in Germany, is also the founder and editor of PIN-UP, an independent biannual magazine launched in the fall of 2006, whose unlikely editorial foundations are architecture and sex.

“Why the name PIN-UP?” It’s a question I am asked every day. Of course, the sexual connotations didn’t entirely escape me, given the magazine’s mission to provide adult architectural entertainment. But to architects and designers, the term also refers to informal creative sessions, called ‘pin-ups,’ which are basically scavenger hunts for great ideas and solutions, for the spirit of a project. Pin-ups are informal reviews of anything and everything, from unfinished drawings to inspirational references (if you work at Frank Gehry’s office, for example, it’s most likely to be a series of crumpled handkerchiefs). We thought the title was perfect for a publication that takes a fun, panoramic look at architecture (and a bit of fashion for good measure) and all its facets, with a focus on great personalities, whether they’re architects, designers, or artists working closely within the field.

The new issue, our fourth, will be out in the US next week and brings you face to face with the concept of flamboyant restraint, a contradiction that architecture has come to terms with in many ways. One of my favorite stories in this issue casts a light on Le Corbusier’s wife, Yvonne, a former hat model and the diametric opposite of her Calvinist, workaholic husband (his controlling demeanor presumably drove her to excessive drinking and a relatively early death at 65). It is a revelatory essay about flamboyance and restraint in the life and work of the 20th century master architect.

While I am sad to report that I have yet to unearth any surviving footage of Yvonne’s hat-modeling, I did recently come across her husband’s “Poème électronique,” an animated visual collage, which he created together with Iannis Xenakis and Edgard Varèse for the Philips pavilion at the 1958 Brussels World Fair. A must see!

For those who find this a tad intellectually high-flying on a Monday, I would like to offer something earthier to close my first entry: a 1984 Heather Parisi dance routine for Italian TV — just the thing for a miserable rainy day. A Hollywood-born beauty and dancer, Heather Parisi was actually discovered on the beaches of Rimini when she was only 19 in the late 1970s. She instantly became an Italian TV sensation and, in a strange way, the clip of her performance also encapsulates the theme of flamboyant restraint: a minimal and rigorous setting (including a giant Rubik’s cube) merged with jazz choreography and over-the-top costumes (multicolored metallic shoes — très Lanvin — and a Mickey Mouse derriere). Enjoy!

Peter Pallotta

Re: Architecture and Sex
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »
Anthony -
His description of an architectural pin-up session reminds me of listening to clothes designers talking about "references" and "inspiration" for their new seasons, by which references and inspiration they seem to mean an actual dress from the 1950s (bought at a vintage store) and a photograph of a another actual dress from the 1950s (from an old Life Magazine) which they then proceed to copy exactly and call an "homage to the past".

Which process golf course architects can't follow, as land is more immutable and much more expensive than a piece of linen....and plus because no one wants to copy anything from the 50s...

Peter     

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 03:11:25 PM »
What are the top two reasons to live, Alex?

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 03:58:58 PM »
Mark me down as strongly in favor of both.

Bob

paul cowley

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »
....me 2.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 07:45:17 PM »
Tony, wouldn't a magazine devoted to sex and GCA be called, "laid-out"?

Did MacDonald have a lay-out session with the committee at Merion?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 08:11:38 PM »
Are the flat bunkers of Raynor better architecture for sex than contoured bottom bunkers?  Of course not. 

If one wants to be more adventuresome melding architecture and sex, there can be no doubt that contoured floors allow many more options.

Just one more reason it is evident Raynor had no clue about what he was doing.  He didn't know golf and he must have been at least part Catholic because he certainly had no idea how to combine bunker design with sex  ;)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 09:31:40 PM »
Sort of reminds me of the lines from Woody Allen's Love and Death:

"There are many kinds of love, Boris. Love between and man and a woman. Love between a mother and a child..."

"Yes, and let's not forget love between two women, it's my favourite kind."

Ah, Woody. Reminds me of a line from one of your other movies: "You want to save the world? Make funnier pictures!"

Peter

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 10:24:20 PM »
Are the flat bunkers of Raynor better architecture for sex than contoured bottom bunkers?  Of course not. 

If one wants to be more adventuresome melding architecture and sex, there can be no doubt that contoured floors allow many more options.

Are you trying to teach us what "in like Flynn" really meant?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 02:00:23 AM »
I think that all those clumps of grass in the Merion bunkers would significantly limit the strategic options when playing around.  What idiot deisgned that feature--HH Barker?

wsmorrison

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 06:35:05 AM »
Never mind.  I wish I could figure out how to delete.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 12:06:23 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 04:02:19 PM »
All these guys were rookies.  MacK had it figured out.

Most of his bunkering does a vanishing act when you look back after playing them.  So as the last group out, you could tell the rest of the group to play thru, and then play with your female partner, all safely hidden away from your group that is now in front of you..   ;D

Kirk Gill

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 05:05:12 PM »
Sandy lies = grit. No thanks.

I will admit to being a fan of severe undulation.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

john_stiles

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 05:12:46 PM »

Stanford White certainly enjoyed both, but the latter cost him his life in a twist of fate, in a building he designed.

But not before he designed clubhouses at Shinnecock, Palmetto GC, without even mentioning his myriad other more important architectural designs.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 10:49:35 AM »
Maybe all the architects on this site could tell us about personal experiences. For instance, do they work better if they abstain before designing a course, much like boxers before a fight; do they perform at a consistently high level with frequent sex, much like Magic Johnson; or is there a happy medium?

Anthony

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 10:51:41 AM »
This is the Stanford White incident to which Mr. Stiles alludes:

During the suggestive chorus song, "I Could Love a Million Girls," at the premiere performance of the musical revue Mam'zelle Champagne at the Madison Square Roof Garden (a building that he had designed 15 years previously), White was shot point blank in the face and killed by Harry K. Thaw. Thaw was the jealous millionaire husband of Evelyn Nesbit, a popular actress and artist's model, with whom White had a manipulative and sexual relationship when she was 16 (to his 47). The initial reaction was one of good cheer as elaborate party tricks amongst the upper echelon of New York Society were common at the time. However, when it became apparent that White was dead, hysteria ensued. William Randolph Hearst's newspapers sensationalized the murder, and it became known as the Trial of the Century. Years later, White's son, Lawrence Grant White would write bitterly, "On the night of June 25th, 1906, while attending a performance at Madison Square Garden, Stanford White was shot from behind [by] a crazed profligate whose great wealth was used to besmirch his victim's memory during the series of notorious trials that ensued." White was burried in St. James, New York.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back