News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

The Metro Area's Top 18 Holes ?
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:12:56 PM »
Back in late 2007 Jim Frank authored a piece in The Met Golfer that outlined the top 18 holes for one mega all-star course from holes in the immediate NYC metro area.

They included the following by category ...

Par-4's ...

Sebonack #11 (466 yards)
Rockaway Hunt Club #9 (462 yards)
Maidstone #9 (402 yards)
Friar's Head #13 (492 yards)
Bayonne #16 (486 yards)
Metropolis #6 (423 yards)
Quaker Ridge #11 (402 yards)
Westchester CC #17 (471 yards)
Trump National / West #3 (485 yards)
Ridgewood / Center #6 (291 yards)

Par-3's ...

Shinnecock Hills #11 (158 yards)
NGLA #4 (195 yards)
Essex County CC #11 (198 yards)
Winged Foot / West #10 (190 yards)

Par-5's

Plainfield #12 (588 yards)
Baltusrol / Lower #17 (650 yards)
Stanwich #17 (616 yards)
Bethpage / Black #4 (517 yards)

Be curious to see another combo of holes that is equal or greater than the one that was listed in the article. No doubt when you cherry pick certain holes irrespective of exactly where the actual holes fits into the round you are going more for the weight of the hole / category than the flow you would get during an actual round.

Be curious to see other top candidates ... for example, if I had another choice beyond SH's 11th -- I'd opt for the 10th hole -- so many different and unique options. Even better than the 14th (Thom's Elbow) which is often cited by many people.

I'll post my own rendition -- trying to use other holes and in trying to format a par-72 course with the holes chosen as they would fall on the card. Would be interested in seeing the choices of others ...

p.s. By the way the 17th at Baltusrol Lower and at Stanwich are two of the most overrated holes I have played in the metro area. There are clearly other more noted par-5's that can be substituted.

One other thing -- while I enjoy the par-4 11th at Essex County I believe Banks did a better job with the par-3 3rd at the Banks Course at Forsgate.

Final item -- love the 11th at Sebonack but the 2nd there would certainly make my listing. Just a grand hole -- full of intrique and, yes, even terror at times.

Dean Paolucci

Re: The Metro Area's Top 18 Holes ?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:03:24 PM »
Matt,

What about the par 3 6th at Preakness Hills or the 2nd and 8th at Somersett Hills?   The 3rd of 3 at Montclair or the 16th at Sleepy Hollow.  The 5th at Pine Valley deserves some consideration  or the 4th at Plainfield.  The 17th at Crestmont or 7th at Mountain Ridge.  Possibly the 13th at the Knoll or 2nd at North Jersey.  Just to name a few.

DEAN
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Steve Verde

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:07:32 PM »
Matt,

The 5th at Pine Valley deserves some consideration  or the 4th at Plainfield. 

DEAN

Pine Valley isn't in the Met or I am sure it would have some hole in the top 18

jkinney

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:52:25 PM »
Speaking of two great holes in a row, it's hard to beat, IMO, 13 and 14 (the aforementioned Thom's Elbow) at Shinnecock. Both are better than the 10th, IMO.

Ed Oden

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:58:15 PM »
In my opinion, you could put all 18 holes at Shinnecock up against this list and have a pretty good discussion about which was better.  At a minumum, #14 and #16 have to be there.  No way #17 at Baltusrol is better than #16 at Shinnie.

Other holes that deserve mention are #3 and #17 at NGLA, #14 at Friars Head, #2 and #7 at Plainfield.  How about #11 at Deepdale?  Its a killer.

Ed

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 06:12:06 AM »
Out of curiosity, how big is the Met Area in square miles and how many courses are there?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 06:15:13 AM »
Out of curiosity, how big is the Met Area in square miles and how many courses are there?

http://www.mgagolf.org/mga/memberclubs_frame.html

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 08:28:51 AM »
While Baltusrol gets little respect two par 4's come to mind.  The 3rd on the Lower and the 16th on the Upper. 

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 01:15:23 PM »
Shivas:

No doubt the qualities of Fenway would need to be brought into the mix. The diabolical short par-4 15h would certainly merit a mention as one of the premier short holes in the metro NYC area.

jkinney:

Sorry partner -- but the 10th at Shinny is the more versatile hole and the one with the greatest amount of danger. I enjoy all the holes at the famed LI layout but the 10th provides a slew of options and the wherewithal to play the hole is so utterly varied and with that its appeal is a classic.

Dean P:

I would not include the 6th at PH on my short list of great par-3's in the metro area. Fine hole --but not outstanding. Ditto the 8th at SH -- although the 2nd can make a solid case for inclusion.

The issue is not whether a hole is good but does it merit the highest of high marks in an area stocked with so many unique and fascinating holes.

corey miller

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 01:49:26 PM »

I would nominate  435 yard #5 at Sleepy Hollow for inclusion, certainly "unique and fascinating", see photo in Ran's review and  as we speak, envision 10-15 more trees felled in the backdrop.  Very soon it will be a true skyline green.

The hole most improved by Gil and George which now clearly shows the charm of an angle on a tee ball. 

I have not played the majority of the par 4's on the list, but I am very comfortable in removing #3 at Trump Westchester.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 01:53:54 PM »
Shivas,

Few course profiles here have piqued my interest more than Fenway's.  Let's hear all about it on a new thread.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Will E

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 02:03:11 PM »
more than anything this list illustrates the amount of exceptional golf in the MET area, I'm sure that another list could be just as valid with 18 different holes
nothing from Piping Rock, Creek, Engineers, etc....

Kirk Gill

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »
Isn't Friar's Head about 80 miles from NY City? Is all of Long Island considered part of the Metro area?
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Dean Stokes

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 02:57:42 PM »
Isn't Friar's Head about 80 miles from NY City? Is all of Long Island considered part of the Metro area?
Must be if Maidstone is on there because it's another 40 miles East.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Robert Emmons

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 03:02:58 PM »
All Long Island is in the Met section...

Dean Stokes

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 03:09:40 PM »
Holes #2,#3, #5,#11,#15 and #17 are all better holes than #13 at Friar's Head, IMHO.
#13 is a wide open par 4 that plays into the wind 90% of the time and is effectively a good par 5 for 90% of golfers that will play it.

Not to sound like a killjoy, but this is why I find rankings so worthless. They are purely peoples opinions and really have no relevance or meaning other than to keep club owners and members happy ( or unhappy!). Sorry.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Gerry B

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 09:11:15 PM »
there is a book called golf courses of the MGA  which includes the 5 boroughs and westschester, duchess county and lower connecticut and northern / mid new jersey.

note: Fishers Island is technically part of Long Island

using that geographical criteria there has to be many other worth candidates including:

par 3's

5 at fishers island
8 at maidstone and 14 is a pretty great short par 3 as well
the short at Forsgate
11 at the creek - great setting and multiple pins - have to like a 106 yd  deep green

par 4's

3 at NGLA
9,10, 14 at Shinnecock
10 at Maidstone
a couple of holes at Friars Head
5 and 12  at Bethpage Black
6 at the Creek Club
4 and 14 at Fishers Island

par 5's

16 at Shinnecock
18 at NGLA

was glad to see ridgewood 6 / shinny 11  / maidstone 9 (even though i like 10 a little more) and bethpage 4 included

i agree with the comments about friars head - there are other holes that i like better thn 13 and shinnecock has many worth candidates for consideration as does ngla

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 11:10:14 PM »
Back in the year 2000 Golf magazine published it's list of the best 500 holes of the millenium with a best 18 culminating.

There was a Met course with 4 holes mentioned...

My how times and tastes change...

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 12:23:51 AM »
Here's another possible list and I am not sure that it is the best.  I keep thinking of great holes.  There is one thing that keeps coming up in my thinking--there really are not that many truely great par 5's--though, there is a multitude of very good holes.
A possible list:
      Par 3's
        Shinny #2
        Engineers #old 14
        Friars Head #10
        Fairfield #4

Par 4's
        Bethpage Red  #13
        Creek  #6
        NGLA   #3
        Fairfield #6
        Wee Burn #16
        Westchester  #2(11)
        Shinny  #9
        Bethpage Black  #5

Par 5's
        Century  #8
        Fenway  #18
        Engineers  #10
        GCGC  #4

Already, I like quite  few other holes.  However, I think that these holes will hold up with lists from other parts of the world very comfortably.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back