News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Old Tom Morris – Centenary of his death on the 24th May 08

As this web site is about Golf and golf course architecture, I thought you may want to join me in remembering Old Tom on the 24th of May 08

Old Tom was one of the first and greatest golf course designer with his influence living on through the likes of Donald Ross, Charlie Hunter, Horace Hutchinson, William Fowler, The Foulis Brothers, Albert Tillinghast,  Dr Alistair Mackenzie to name but a few. All came into contact with Old Tom via the R&A and St Andrews. I will not go quite as far as to say he was the designer behind Merion – being dead for some three years but perhaps through one of the above gentlemen his ideas may have been incorporated within the early design. Just a thought – maybe worth a few new posts on Merion? ;) 

Old Tom’s early involvement – pre 1840’s when in his teens, was under Alan Robertson (who was and still is regarded by many as the first true golf professional). Served an initial four year apprentice to Alan making feather balls/clubs etc then worked with him for another 5 years as his assistant. It was during this time that Old Tom learnt the additional skills of course design. One of the early courses he helped Alan with was Carnoustie in 1848 extending it to seven holes. This was the start of the Morris family connection with Carnoustie, as George Morris (Old Tom’s older brother, and who was later to be responsible for the design of Hoylake) increases Carnoustie from ten to 12 in 1860’s. Old Tom returned in 1873 and made it a full 18 hole course. Again in 1894 with Bob Simpson to completely redesign the 18 hole plus add a 9 hole course when new land was purchased.

The interesting point is that Old Tom had a brilliant start, working with the most famous golfer of his time who was also involved in club/ball making. Through Alan, Old Tom was taught the basics of course design. To study Old Tom life you quickly realise that from his mid teens he encompassed all that was possible in golf in the Victorian age. He had been trained, it was not on a whim that he decided to start designing courses. He knew the principals, he was taught design and with his golfing skills he was able to produce some wonderful courses. Not to mention his work for nearly 40 years on the Old Course.

Old Tom in his day had a similar following as our modern golf heroes. There are many reports of people flocking to clubs or functions when Old Tom was known to be in the area. The old photos show many standing around him, he was asked to open many new courses and played in many inaugural games.  Old Tom was not a phenomenon created in the last 30 years, W W Tulloch’s book on ‘The Life of Tom Morris’ gives many accounts of how he was regarded in his own life time.

Golf in the Victorian age was not primitive, it was challenging and interesting, played for pure entertainment and enjoyment. Pre The Open (1860) or other competitions, money matches were played, Alan & Old Tom in the 1840’s-50’s had a reputation of never loosing and played for sums of £50 - £100 - £200 each (noting that £50 per year was regarded as a very good salary) which in today’s money may be approx. £18 – 20,000 plus.

I believe, as I have mentioned before that this was the real Golden Age of Golf, of individuals pushing the limits of golf, of moving courses inland, yet still trying to work with nature, not just to save time and money by minimising earth movement. We are learning today that many of the Old Courses in the UK are more likely to survive water shortage and environmental problems that some of their modern counterparts. These pioneers, the early designers should be given credit for what they achieved and the heritage they gave us.

I wonder if Old Tom had not taken up golf, would it be as popular as it is today? Would there be a multi-million pound industry following golfers?
To be honest, No, I do not believe it would, because the likes of Donald Ross, MacDonald, Colt, Foulis, Tillinghast and Mackenzie may not have taken up golf without his dominance and influence at St Andrews. Even more so for Horace Hutchinson, who played at Westward Ho! an Old Tom design starting in 1860, plus the many hours Horace spent learning and talking about golf with Old Tom on his many visits to St Andrews.

So to the point of this post, I hope that all GCA.com Members and Guests will raise a glass of single Malt to the memory of Old Tom Morris (16th June 1821 to 24th May 1908) on Sunday the 24th of May 2008 preferably on the 19th hole of your course.

I give you   “Old Tom & Golf”   

John Kavanaugh

Re: Old Tom Morris – Centenary of his death on the 24th May 08
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 01:46:15 PM »
Melvyn,

I'm sorry if I missed it, are you related to Old Tom or have some financial connection?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:55:19 PM »
John

Old Tom is my great, great grandfather via
his daughter Elizabeth who married James Hunter

No money or financial connections.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 01:56:42 PM »
Melvyn - I will be fortunate to be playing golf on that day with three other GCAers.  We shall raise a toast for sure.  Thanks for the reminder!

Tom H.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 01:58:25 PM »
Melvin,

Did you inherit Old Tom's propensity for taking an early morning dip in icy sea water? I hear it's quite invigorating; perhaps that is what led to his unusual longevity.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 02:01:46 PM »
John

Old Tom is my great, great grandfather via
his daughter Elizabeth who married James Hunter

No money or financial connections.

Good for you.  My 12 year old son who is a history buff recently asked me if I would rather be related to Hitler or Hirohito,  I look forward to telling him how one of my golf buds from the site is related to Old Tom.

Eric Smith

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 02:12:42 PM »
On the 24th, I shall raise a toast as well Melvyn. 

I also want to say thank you again for the gift you sent me for my grandfather. 

Cheers,

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 02:18:39 PM »
Thanks, Melvyn.

We should all be so lucky to have great great grandchildren as proud of us as you are of Old Tom. 

Peter

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 02:37:38 PM »
count me in.  You great ggggp was my first ever assignment as a golf writer.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »
Thanks for that Melvyn.

I shall join you in raising a toast to Old Tom on the 24th.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 03:01:11 PM »
This notable occasion and the significance of this centenary year have not been lost on the participants of this year's BUDA Cup.  We plan to toast him on his birthday the 16th June after playing Lundin Links in Fife. Some participants are staying in St Andrews and they can toast him twice.

Although the playing Captains have yet to be confirmed, Pete will be pleased to hear I have volunteered to be the early morning swimming captain – participation is mandatory.

Did Old Tom have a favourite tipple?  

“Old Tom & Golf”
Let's make GCA grate again!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 03:02:07 PM »
Melvyn, it was a great day when you joined in to participate in GCA.com.  Thanks for all your insights about your heritage, and what is really the heritage of all golfers, whether they know the lineage and historical aspects or not.  You have been very generous in sharing memorabilia through both private e-mails to many of the GCAers and through posts.

PS:  [Sir] Boab Huntley, settinarian extrordinare, is not a wussy for enjoying his electric remote bag caddie as he continues to golf his way across the fields of play!  ;) ;D ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 03:23:03 PM »
Mr. M, in honor of your esteemed relative I will not only raise a glass to his memory, but I will convince my group to eschew their carts and carry their bags on the date of his demise.  Tho I must confess that my Bushnell will continue to be in use so long as the sprinklers and scorecards are marked with distances  :D

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 04:27:36 PM »
To all  - thanks

To answer the odd questions

Peter L  - Like my father we swam at the Step Rock and  Castle Pool
                in St Andrews, but stopped once we reached 50 - too cold
                longevity – everything shrinks for me. :-[.
John        Thanks :)
Tom         The more the merrier  ;D
Eric          Hope your grandfather enjoyed the info. 8)
Peter P – Thanks :D
Jay           Hope you made a good job of that first assignment :-\
Andrew  - Thanks :)
Tony      - Old Tom drank ‘Black Strap’ preparation of Dublin Stout and
                Soda Water - Enjoy your day. Tain have a competition on the
                14 of June – The Old Tom Morris Open. ;) ::) ;)
RJ             Many thanks – Yes, it’s the heritage for all golfers 8)
Mark         What no carts, can you still play REAL WALKING GOLF? As for
                 the Bushnell it reminds me of a guy with very thick spectacles
                 who can't see a thing and no sense of distance either ;)  :-*

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back