News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter_Imber

Coral Gables Biltmore
« on: April 21, 2002, 08:54:02 PM »
Here's a Donald Ross course that I played as a kid and as a college golfer and did not know until years later about its pedigree. When I was young this was a public course and the Biltmore Hotel beside it was a Veterans Hospital. Today both the course and the hotel have been restored.

This course is totally flat and some its holes are not at all memorable. But there are others that tease. How close to that water do you want to place your tee shot? The 7th and the 8th. How much do you want to bite off of that dogleg? the 1st and the 11th. And how penal do you think that trap is that you are aiming over to go at the flag? Take your pick.

I loved this course because it looked easier than it played. I checked it out last right after Hurricane Andrew had blown through. I was in Miami for work. I'm a journalist. Lots of trees were down but I'm sure the place has recovered and is a delight. Has anyone played there recently?

Back when I did you'd pass close by the hospital on the back nine. Men would be sitting outside in the sun. Many of them oblivious to the golf being played aside of them.

Once I was playing Biltmore (This would be in the 60s.) and it was hot, probably ninety degrees. From behind us we heard a man shout that he wanted to hit up and play through. He was in a big hurry and ran after his ball and toward us. He was also dressed in a wet suit. Very strange until he explained. He was a jockey racing at one of the Miami tracks. He was playing his version of speed golf to make weight for his afternoon mounts.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

BCrosby

Re: Coral Gables Biltmore
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2002, 08:04:47 AM »
Peter -

I too played in a college golf tournament there.  I believe it was 1969.  Steve Melnyk playing for U. of Florida won the event that year.

My thought at the time was that it was a real goat track.  I remember very little about the course other than I played it badly.  I too was shocked to find out a couple of years ago that it was designed by Ross.

I would love to hear more about what's happened to it in recent years.

Bob
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Jason Mandel

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 02:04:36 PM »
I understand the Biltmore has underwent a big renovation/restoration the past few years.  Has anyone played it?  If so, is it worth playing?

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 02:49:45 PM »
$5M renovation by Brian Silva opened in November 2007:

www.thecellarclub.com/PDF/Winter2007b.pdf

I'll try to make it there on my next visit.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jason Mandel

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 03:04:58 PM »
Thanks Steve.  I just called, $172 w/cart on weekday and $192 on weekends...

I am going to be down there next weekend for a graduation at UM.  I am working on a few other possibilities, but this looks like a contender.

For those that have played both, is the new Biltmore that much better than Crandon Park at Key Biscane?

I know its two different animals, but is it $130 better?

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 03:30:20 PM »
Yo Peter.
When is this alleged Disney tournament?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back