News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

Humewood, South Africa (pictures)
« on: March 22, 2008, 07:11:08 PM »
There are not many links courses outside the UK/Ireland, and this is certainly one the most authentic and best. Built by Major SV Hotchkin in 1931, it is the purest and best example of links golf in South Africa and possibly the country's finest course behind Durban Country Club. Bobby Locke said this was the course where the Open should be held if it ever left British shores.

The course is not as well known as it should be - in part because Port Elizabeth is not a very glamorous part of the country, partly because South African golfers are generally pretty ignorant about the virtues of classic golf courses, and it is off the tourist trail where the newer more hyped courses are to be found.

I really enjoyed my visit and would highly recommend the course. It does not have as many memorable holes as Durban CC, but then nor does it have any holes which are quite so weak as on the flat part of Durban. The strength of the course are probably the one-shotters which include the famous 6th, the excellent 14th, the tough 3rd....There are also some very muscular two-shotters (especially 4, 8, 10 and 13), some clever shorter par fours, such as 16, and the strong par 5 11th.

As the pictures make clear, this is proper links-land - a course routed over dunes, no trees, undulating fairways, blind shots, strong wind. The heat and local conditions mean that the course will never play quite the same as in more traditional settings. In particular, the club wrestles with kikuyu grass which is not the friend of "firm and fast" conditions. But there is no doubting that this is in essence a links experience.

I played the course in a two-shot east wind which is the opposite of the prevailing wind. The locals were anxious I should understand that this was a mere gentle zephyr compared to what often blows. If that sounds daunting, one consolation is that the course has a sensible set-up with most of the longer holes having pretty generous fairways.

Here are some of the holes:

The opening first - a shortish two-shotter played towards the sea. No bunkers around the green, but still no pushover.

The first of the one-shotters - the downhill 3rd, but at 198m into the wind, it required just about your best shot to get there. A good green-site, protected by a mound on the left.

The 5th green - a bunker about 20 yards short and right makes distance judgement difficult.

The short 6th which locals like to describe as South Africa's shortest par 5. At 130m it is not too far, but the wind is normally strong across a narrow, elevated green, with heavy bunkers...It is reputed to belong to Retief Goosen's eclectic 18.

Only the best bunker shot will hold the 6th green.

View of 6th green from the other side...

The triangle shaped 7th green

The approach to the stroke one 8th hole - no bunkers required to add to the challenge of this hole.

This side shot of the 8th green shows some of the slope....

Bunkering on the right side of the 9th hole....

second nine to follow.....

Padraig Dooley

Re: Humewood, South Africa (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 07:18:31 PM »
Philip

I was at Humewood in December 06, didn't get to play it, had a look around in a buggy and was very impressed, more impressed then most of the new courses that are popping up. Holes like number 6 aren't being built anymore. It's also one of the few courses where the ground game is a viable and desirable option, which attracted me even more to it.

The course is not as well known as it should be - in part because Port Elizabeth is not a very glamorous part of the country, partly because South African golfers are generally pretty ignorant about the virtues of classic golf courses, and it is off the tourist trail where the newer more hyped courses are to be found.

This is an provocative comment, one that I would agree with, especially with the amount of South Africans who think the Gary Player CC is the best course in South Africa.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Andrew Balakshin

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 07:28:13 PM »
This course has always intrigued me. Thanks for the write-up.

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 07:33:57 PM »
Philip,
   Thanks for sharing as always. I don't know if my golf clubs will ever make it to Africa, but if they do I know 2 courses I'll be using them at thanks to you. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 07:48:17 PM »

Tough par 4 - unreachable into the wind, to a slightly hidden green behind the fairway mounding.

The driven on the 11th - best of the par 5's.

Approach to 11...

Green complex on short 12th

The 13th, together with short 6th, is the best hole on the course - into the prevailin wind, a daunting 408m uphill two-shotter, played across a lovely links fairway, to a small green enjoying excellent protection aside a well placed dune.

Approach to 13....

This shot shows you the dune that protects entry from the right, and the bunker that awaits if you stray too far left.

View back down 13

The quality remains exceptional as you step off 13 to face this exceptional short-hole where only the best tee shot is likely to get you a par.

View down the 15th fairway - if you hit the fairway you may be able to get home in two on this three shotter.

This greenside view of 15 gives you a feel for some of the local vegetation and bunkering.

16 is a great short par four. The sensible play is to lay up left of the caddie and be left a wedge in. The bold can shoot right of the caddie at the (blind) green...

But they will have to find a way past this bunker.

A view from behind the par 5 17th - gives you a flavour of the width that the course needs to make it playable when the wind is blowing.

Closing tee shot back to the clubhouse.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 07:52:54 PM »
Padraig the last Irishman to visit Africa so much was David Feherty! I remember him winning at Mowbray in the Cape many years ago. A shame you did not get to play Humewood - an oversight that needs remedying!

Nice to hear from you as ever Ed - look forward to teeing it up sometime, somewhere!

One more photo....looking back over 18 and 1, from the clubhouse.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 08:13:28 PM »
I stayed just up the road at Amakhala game reserve and remember the drive to the airport at Port Elizabeth looking towards the ocean on the left thinking - this looks like awfully good links land... The safari and this golf would make a fantastic mini getaway on a South African trip. Hopefully I'll be back soon and playing the Durban jazz festival to boot...will bring clubs with next time.

http://www.amakhala.co.za/index.php

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 08:22:44 PM »
Philip

I was there during the South African Open of 06, had a good look around, first time in Port Elizabeth as well, I'm sure I'll be there again. The biggest disappointment was that the wind didn't blow that week. There would have been some fun again. The locals were disappointed as well, I think some of them said PE was the third or fourth windiest city in the world and took real pride in it.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 08:34:09 PM »
Philip

Fantastic...looks like they know how to maintain a links down there.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 08:59:56 PM »
Phillip

I like how so many of the greens sort of hug the ground or have a point of the green which is connected to grade level. 

This looks to be a lovely hole.

I also really like that hump near the right hand bunkers as you face the green - it seems like it would kick many a ball right into the one of the bunkers.

This too looks a wonderful hole - plenty of room to swing one around the bunker.

This course reminds me a lot of Princes except with edges of the fairways tending to flatten out where Princes has low lying dunes at the edges of many holes.  The roll of the land is so familiar!

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 07:35:14 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 12:59:01 AM »
Philip - Now I know why we were not favored with a visit to South Carolina from our favorite African golfer... you were visiting the Motherland! Thanks for the pixs. If someone blindfolded me and dropped me onto that course I doubt I would ever guess I was in South Africa. I don't usually associate true linksland with SA. Who knew???
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

David Stamm

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 01:49:59 AM »
Thanks for sharing these, Philip. When I saw Humewood during the South African Open telecast a couple of years ago I was immediately struck by it and thought it looked wonderful. These just confirm those thoughts. What a wonderful looking course!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 02:27:41 AM »
Philip, great pictures as always.  How do you compare the front nine and the back nine?  About equal, or do you prefer one over the other? 

Philip Gawith

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 07:16:38 AM »
Jim - I really don't think the course has any weak holes so quite difficult to make that judgement. I suppose the point on the course when I was most impressed was standing on the 16th tee on this excellent short par four, thinking back to the exceptional combination of 13 and 14 back to back, with 10 and 11 before it - it just seemed like a lot of good golf and a lot of variety. Similarly, though, when you stand on the tee of the exceptional 6th, you have just played three very strong and varied holes. I think i will duck a judgement!

Mike - your impressions re SA golf are quite understandable! Golf magazines tend to write about the glitzier or more modern destinations and obviously the most exposed course in the country is Sun City owing to the December tournament that has now been running for over 20 years. In truth there are not that many links, but there are one or two other courses which fit the bill, such as Milnerton and Atlantic Beach (the Open qualifier location) near Cape Town.

Sean you are right to single out 13 and 14 - two great holes back to back. I played it with the (minority) East wind which made 13 easier than usual because it was from behind, but then the 14th has the wind howling left to right as you turn 90 degrees left and makes it formidably difficult. To Padraig's point, any links will suffer without the wind, but i think the routing of this course means the wind adds particular variety in terms of which holes play harder/easier when the wind shifts.

Lloyd - my sense is that a lot of the golf tour operators tend to sell South Africa as a safari/golf package, not just pure golf, which makes sense as people are coming a long way and the safari card is not one that any other country can really play alongside golf.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 05:15:33 AM »
I forgot to mention when I was at the club that they mentioned to me that Pat Ruddy had been through the week before. Can anyone prod Pat into action to offer his views which would surely be worth hearing? Not sure the new system allows one to look up his details and send him an IM.

I also forgot to reply, Sean, to your point about Princes. I have only been round that course once but I think I see what you mean. Humewood has a bit more elevation change so you have better views of the sea, and the coastal scrub adds a different feel, but I can also see the similarity in the look of the course.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 07:11:50 PM »
Looks wonderful, thanks Philip.

I dare you to put forward SA as a  future BUDA location.  Give me 18 months/2 years notice and I'll be second on the list.  We could do it one winter?

Tony
Let's make GCA grate again!

Philip Gawith

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 07:55:46 AM »
Tony I believe Ran and Ben may be crafting some sort of outing to SA next year, but i don't know the details. With some canny planning, and a friendly exchange rate, such as currently prevails, it might be possible! It is a nice idea - for discussion when next we gather!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back