News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Design for the average golfer
« on: March 23, 2008, 01:00:18 PM »

In the feb. Featured Interview Roy Case commented

'The move to lengthen courses benefits only that one percent or so who are above average in ability, and does not relate directly to Real Golf. It is nice to say that your home course is over 7000 yards from the back tees, but in reality that does not do much for the average golfer.'

Most of the new courses we read about are the top dollar ones which are usually long. What are the features do excellent new courses for the average player have?

Michael Whitaker

Re: Design for the average golfer
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 01:48:34 PM »
I had a conversation on this subject recently with the Director of Golf at Furman University's golf course.

Furman will begin a much needed renovation of the course in May under the direction of Kris Spence. The master plan is impressive with good changes planned for every hole, and the course will be much improved after the work is finished. They have already taken out hundreds of trees which has really opened up the course and dramatically changed the look of many holes. But, I have a concern with the changes they are planning to the first hole... a medium length par four of 385 from the back tee (365 from the "white").

First, they are taking down the famous periscope that has been a Furman fixture as long as I can remember. Why, because they are moving the "blue" tee 50 back to challenge the "better" player. Also, they are going to lower a crest in the fairway that creates a blind opening tee shot (another iconic Furman feature) because, according the DOG, "better players don't like blind tee shots. We talked with four different architects and they all said the same thing," he said. "We talked with several local players who's opinion we respect and they also recommended lowering the hill on number one." What about the periscope," I asked. "Well, with the new back tee it will be directly in the line of play. Anyway, when we lower the hill it will no longer be needed."

Every one of my group that plays Furman regularly could not believe that they were taking down the periscope or removing the blind tee shot. But, then again, we do not fall into the "better" player category!!!  ;)

The DOG was very proud they they were going to increase the length of the course to just under 7000 yards, "because scratch players are just killing us." I asked him how much of his business was "scratch" players and he said he wasn't sure, but that more "good" players would want to play the Furman course after the changes are made.

I am VERY excited about the changes being made to the course (except for #1 mentioned above), but it's sad that so much thought is being given to less than 5% of the players who will ever traverse the course.

By the way... when the course reopens in October Furman will be offering a great annual pass membership... $175 per month with no initiation! And, if you pay the $2100 yearly fee in advance you receive a free 12 month range membership. If the course turns out as good as I think it can, it could be the best golf membership deal in South Carolina.

Here's is a little information on the Furman renovation:
http://www.furman.edu/golf/renovation.htm

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 03:04:04 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 02:19:07 PM »
Jon,

Roy Case is right of course. But it doesn't seem to matter. Nearly every course worries about how they are percieved by better players, if for no other reason that average players seem to take their opinion of the course from those who supposedly "know."

I think this applies more to upscale courses trying to draw players from a long way away.  A course in the middle of a senior community can peacefully exist on local players and would be better off being about 6350 from the back tees.

As to what those upscale courses might have for the average golfers, the typical features are multiple tees, spectacular scenery, and an experience they can't get at home.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 03:00:15 AM »
Micheal, Jeff,

thanks for the replies. How many new courses are being built for the average golfer these days and how many rebuilds or renovations are being done to make the course more enjoyable/playable for Joe Bloggs?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back