News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Franzen

Re: Why are Sand Hills and Ballyneal Alp-less?
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 03:41:09 AM »
I have a vauge idea what an 'ALps but what is the definition and whats the origional? 

From the interview with George Bahto on Gca.com

Alps' was a term describing a blind shot throughout the British Isles - the original was the 17th at Prestwick. The 3rd at National is an awe-inspiring version. A 'mountain' must be carried on the approach shot to a green fronted by a deep cross bunker. National's Alps is considered an anachronism to some, but students of the classics consider it a wonderful tribute to days gone by. It was the end of the era of blind shots, but C.B could not resist when he found a natural Alps site when building his Ideal Golf Course. Seth Raynor built an Alps on most courses, but they were generally identified as having 'Alps bunkering' - meaning some cross-bunkering in front of the green. Instead of a blind approach over a 'mountain,' Raynor customarily positioned his Alps renditions just over the crest of a rising fairway - then cross-bunkering the green complex. Sadly, many clubs covered in the cross bunker because they did not understand the origin and concept. Alps greens usually had a spine of sorts running through the green to compound putting problems.

I also recommend that you check out his excellent book "The Evangelist of Golf" which contains in depth analysis of all the so-called template holes.

Cheers,

Eric

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 06:07:50 AM »
To be honest with you I've just never understood why C&C put that dirt and that rumpled look behind #4 at Hidden Creek. Somehow I think that hole would shot better if they just left the ground alone back there. I do understand that with Hidden Creek they were trying to pay a tribute to early Heathland architecture but I'm not sure if that backdrop look exists behind any healthland green naturally or otherwise. I am more than willing to be convinced of the reason though.

Tom,

It is actually the Pat Mucci tribute hole, but it can only be seen from an aerial.

James Bennett

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 06:13:54 AM »
Quote from: Jim Nugent link=topic=33885.msg678557#msg678557
Does any C&C course have any of those holes? 
Here is the "redan" from Hidden Creek (from Ran's course profile) however I am not sure where else they have used template holes as inspiration.

Dave

elements of Rosanna #6 there!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Ken Fry

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 07:16:24 AM »
Quote from: Jim Nugent link=topic=33885.msg678557#msg678557
Does any C&C course have any of those holes? 
Here is the "redan" from Hidden Creek (from Ran's course profile) however I am not sure where else they have used template holes as inspiration.

Very similar to the design of the #14th hole at Warren at Notre Dame...

Ken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back