News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: Family golf destinations?
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2008, 06:43:46 AM »
The East Neuk of Fife has the 9 hole kids course at Elie which is great for kids (ours spend hours a day there for the fortnight we have in Elie each year).  The 9 holer at Anstruther is reasonably child friendly and there are dozens of full courses of all descriptions from TOC and Kingsbarns, through the old and new at Crail to Elie, Lundin etc.

North Berwick also has a 9 hole kids course adjacent to the West Links and is, of course just down the road from Muirfield and Gullane.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ray Richard

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2008, 07:00:13 AM »
Plymouth Ma has over a dozen golf courses that range from executive courses Squirrel Run, Village Links, Waverly Oaks(9 holer) and Souther's Marsh. Regulation courses include Crosswinds, 2 courses at PineHills (Rees Jones-Nicklaus), Plymouth CC (Ross-limited outside play), Waverly oaks (Silva) and Olde Sandwich (C and C). Most have ranges-the one at Crosswinds is my favorite.

Plymouth Plantation and the vessel Mayflower are nearby with plenty of seafood restaurants.

wsmorrison

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2008, 08:11:11 AM »
The Homestead resort in Hot Springs Virginia has lots to offer families.  I've taken my own there a few times.  There are three golf courses.  The Cascades course is a joy to play combining beautiful mountain views and an excellent course.  The Old course by the hotel is enjoyable for families.  The third course, Lower Cascades, was not very interesting but has undergone a redesign, so I don't know the results.  It is a beautiful grand hotel with friendly and talented staff.  There is lots to do besides golf including swimming, horse back riding (wonderful trails and they cater to all skill levels), skeet shooting, kayaking, canoing, fly fishing, mountain biking, hiking, falconry, etc.  If you love the outdoors, it is a great place to consider.  They have 2-bedroom suites with shared balconies that is perfect for families.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2008, 08:15:06 AM »
   Come down here to Casa de Campo.  Fabulous golf, perfect weather, pretty good beach, horseback riding, tennis, snorkeling, sailing, programs for kids, an interesting and fun cultural experience. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 08:45:31 AM »
I would travel the RTJ trail in Alabama starting with the Space Museum in Huntsville and ending on the beaches of Mobile.  http://www.rtjgolf.com/trail/  http://www.spacecamp.com/museum/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 08:47:49 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2008, 09:03:03 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Monterey area.

While the golf speaks for itself, there are plenty of kid friendly things to do.  Besides the aforementioned biking, walking trails, beach combing, there is:

-- The old canneries and wharfs with shopping and great world class chowders.
-- The aquarium at Monterey is 2nd to none and one can easily spend the better part of the day there and not see everything.
-- Just up the road is the Santa Cruz beach boardwalk with plenty of rollercoasters, rides, etc.
-- If your kids are a bit older there is some awesome kayaking that can be done in Monterey Bay where the sea otters will come right up to you to play.
-- Take a drive south of Carmel for some amazing coastal views and even go camping in Big Sur.

It won't be a cheap vacation, but it will be a great one.

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2008, 09:38:56 AM »
The East Neuk of Fife has the 9 hole kids course at Elie which is great for kids (ours spend hours a day there for the fortnight we have in Elie each year).

North Berwick also has a 9 hole kids course adjacent to the West Links and is, of course just down the road from Muirfield and Gullane.

Thank you for all the outstanding responses! I really appreciate the ideas.

I found Mark's info very interesting -- a 9-hole course specifically for kids. I love the idea of my girls being able to play a course built for kids that they can play whenever they want to.

What's the best course in the world designed/built specifically for kids?

I visited Celtic Manor in 2004, and while I wanted to be playing another round at Porthcawl, I was impressed with Celtic Manor's kid-size course. The length, bunkering, etc., was fantastic for kids and beginners. If memory serves, RTJ designed the small course.

Has anyone in the States ever intentionally designed/built a destination facility with great golf (courses and instruction) at three tiers: kids, high-handicap adults, and better players? If so, what do they charge?

Gary Slatter

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2008, 11:11:27 AM »
St. Andrews Scotland.  Courses for every level of player, golf's history and traditions can be absorbed by any aged person.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

George Pazin

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2008, 11:11:45 AM »

Pine Valley, Oakmont, Pebble, Cypress, TOC... take your pick. You don't think addicted golfers are adults, do you? :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2008, 11:23:57 AM »
Larry,

Will you and your family be driving or flying? If driving, from where will you be starting out?

I am in Minnesota -- it could be flying or driving.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »
The East Neuk of Fife has the 9 hole kids course at Elie which is great for kids (ours spend hours a day there for the fortnight we have in Elie each year).

Thank you for all the outstanding responses! I really appreciate the ideas.

I found Mark's info very interesting -- a 9-hole course specifically for kids. I love the idea of my girls being able to play a course built for kids that they can play whenever they want to.

I visited Celtic Manor in 2004, and while I wanted to be playing another round at Porthcawl, I was impressed with Celtic Manor's kid-size course. The length, bunkering, etc., was fantastic for kids and beginners. If memory serves, RTJ designed the small course.

Has anyone in the States ever intentionally designed/built a destination facility with great golf (courses and instruction) at three tiers: kids, high-handicap adults, and better players? If so, what do they charge?

Larry,

You'd love the set up at Elie.  The kids course is on the other side of a low stone wall from the first on the main course.  The longest hole is 340 yards and the shortest 100 yards.  There are probably 20 bunkers in the 9 holes, none particularly deep.  None of the greens are dramatic but they have some interest and the course features an uphill opener and a couple of steeply downhill par 3s.  Great fun.

Maintenance isn't to top course standards but isn't bad.  The best thing, though, is that kids just come and go as they please.  Elie is a holiday village and during the summer tends to be full of holidaying families.  Nearly all, like us, are quite happy for our children (ours are 9 and 12) to wonder up to the club by themselves, meet up with friends and play.  The local pro organises a tournament for the kids every Friday in the summer.  There's also an annual competition, the Ockleford, which is claimed to be the oldest junior competition in the world which is played on the main course early in August each year.  7 year olds and under play one hole, the 17th (a 440 yarder, normally into the wind - a couple of years ago the winning score was 5, I'd happily take 5 on the tee), 8 and 9 year olds play 4 holes (including the famous periscope hole and the par 3 3rd, which is a great hole), 10 and 11 years olds play 8 holes and 12 and 13 year olds play 14 holes.  At the prize giving every entrant gets a large bar of chocolate.  If we weren't in Elie for the Ockleford I don't think my boys would ever forgive me.

Any problems and there are dozens of parents around the small pavilion attached to the pro-shop (not to be confused with the rather more imposing clubhouse of the Golf House Club).
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 05:01:20 PM »
Larry,

Will you and your family be driving or flying? If driving, from where will you be starting out?

I am in Minnesota -- it could be flying or driving.

Overall, I think Kingsmill has the best options.  Rent a car, play Royal New Kent, Golden Horseshoe (Gold), and the River course.  Also within a drive from there is Riverfront and Kinloch (private).  Both Golden Horseshoe (who also have a resort - Williamsburg Inn) and Kingsmill have short courses - GH (Spotswood) is a par 62 course, and Kingsmill (Bray) is a par 3 course.   Kingsmill has good practice/lessons facilities, unsure about GH.   KM also has tennis.

Family restaurants abound, great ones less so.  There's an amusement park (Busch Gardens Europe), historic Old Williamsburg, etc.

Myrtle would be another attractive option.   Pigeon Forge (Dollywood) could work, Sandestin as well.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 11:58:12 AM »
This is from Travel + Leisure Golf's September's World Best Golf Resort 2007 issue Family Trip section by region (not to toot our own horn but Kiawah Island scored higest of all resorts!):

Best Resorts for Family Trips

Hawaii
Rank Name Score
1 Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa 97.50
2 Kapalua Golf Resort 96.50
3 Kauai Marriott Resort & Beach Club 95.50

The West & Northwest
Rank Name Score
1 Pebble Beach Resorts 89.50
2 Sunriver Resort 87.00
3 Four Seasons Resort Aviara 84.00

The Southwest
Rank Name Score
1 The Broadmoor 94.50
2 The Phoenician Resort 88.00
3 JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa 85.00

The Midwest
Rank Name Score
1 Grand Traverse Resort and Spa 72.00
2 The Lodge of Four Seasons Golf Resort & Spa Shiki 66.50
3 The American Club 62.50

Florida
Rank Name Score
1 Walt Disney World Resort 100.00
2 Amelia Island Plantation 91.50
3 Villas of Grand Cypress Golf Resort 81.00

The Southeast
Rank Name Score
1 Kiawah Island Golf Resort 99.50
2 Sea Island Resorts 98.50
3 Sea Pines Resort 96.50

Northeast & Mid-Atlantic
Rank Name Score
1 Hershey Resorts 96.00
2 Kingsmill Resort & Spa 87.50
3 Seaview Resort & Spa 79.50

Canada
Rank Name Score
1 Fairmont Banff Springs 78.50
2 Fairmont Chateau Whistler 73.50
3 Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge 50.50

Mexico & Latin America
Rank Name Score
1 Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort 84.50
2 Cabo del Sol Resorts 78.00
3 One & Only Palmilla 75.00

Bermuda, Bahamas & the Caribbean
Rank Name Score
1 Ritz-Carlton Golf & Spa Resort, Rose Hall 99.00
2 Westin and Sheraton at Our Lucaya Beach & Golf Resort 98.00
3 Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, a Wyndham Grand Resort 93.50

Lester George

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2008, 05:30:22 PM »
Larry,

Try Hershey. Great fun for everyone.  Park, Hotel, Lodge, etc

Classic course WEST (McCarthy),

Modern Courses EAST (George Fazio),

HERSHEY LINKS (Hurdzan/Fry),

Junior Golf SPRINGCREEK (McCarthy)

Lester

http://www.hersheypa.com/accommodations/hershey_country_club/courses/

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2008, 07:06:45 PM »
Kingsmill has a pitch and putt right by the main lodge, within view of the pool. No dress code, the kids can wear flip flops and bathing suits. I am with Justin: with small kids this resort is very good, although it can be painfully hot come August and all the beer in the car is A-B.

There's a fishing pier, too.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2008, 07:18:17 PM »
Larry:

Hilton Head worked for me when I was ten.

However, I will second Mark's nomination of East Lothian, and I'm sorry he beat me to it.  The kids' courses there are perfect for your girls, and there are other courses like Gullane #3 or Kilspindie they could try if they are up to it.  Throw in a round at Muirfield for yourself and a walk with the family around North Berwick, and if they're not hooked, they never will be.

On the other hand, they might find golf in America lacking after what we have suggested.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back