News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

Re: Golfweek's Ohio "Best Courses You Can Play" List
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 09:54:57 AM »
You raters may want to look at 'Player's Club' in Columbus. We tried this on word of mouth, and after five holes thought it was just an OK course. From hole #6 on it was really very good indeed. After the round, we agreed it was better than Cook's Creek [which I do like].

Doug

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 10:19:38 AM »
In 2006 (or 2007) The Best of Ohio list was as follows:

Ohio

1. Longaberger, Nashport
2. Shaker Run, Lebanon
3. Boulder Creek, Streetsboro
4. Avalon G&CC (Avalon/Lakes), Warren
5. Hickory Hills, Grove
6. Aston, North Bend
7. Stonewater, Cleveland
8. Rattlesnake Ridge, Sundbury
9. Elk's Run, Batavia
10. Cooke's Creek, Columbus

In 2007, the list looks as follows:

Ohio
1. Longaberger, Nashport (m)
2. Shaker Run, Lebanon (m)
3. Boulder Creek, Streetsboro (m)
4. Avalon G&CC (Avalon Lakes), Warren (m)
5. Stonelick Hills, Batavia (m)
6. Aston Oaks, North Bend (m)
7. Stonewater, Cleveland (m)*
8. Elk’s Run, Batavia (m)
9. Cook’s Creek, Columbus (m)
10. Hickory Hills, Grove (m)*

First off, here is some of the good qualities: Boulder Creek, Stonelick Hills, and Cook's Creek are all good to very good courses and I can see them being on the list.  In a previous post last year, I chided Elks Run and Cooks Creek and after replaying them, I do not have a problem with them being on the list.  The addition of Stonelick Hills to the list improves the list.  Avalon Lakes appears to be deserving of being on the list.  I have not played, but people whom I play with speak highly of the course.

Now for the head scratchers:  Rattlesnake Run (private course listed on the 2007/2006 list) was replaced by Stonewater (or at least moved up) a private course outside of Cleveland.  Longaberger GC is still #1.  It is a decent Hills course that I do not dislike as much as others on this board, but I do not believe it is the BEST the state has to offer.  Aston Oaks does not belong on the list, but I think I know why it is on the list.  It is in the Cincinnati area which means it most likely gets played by more raters than some of Ohio's more deserving courses (the Nicklaus Group name most likely does not hurt).  Hickory Hills is the Jack Kidwell course they must have decide to put on the list (over Salt Fork and Mohican Hills, I am a little shocked).
If this list is going to be called the "best courses you can play," one needs to make a simple call to each course to confirm that they are still public or have some public access.

Here of some of the Ohio courses I would consider (at least by juxtaposition to several of the courses on the current list, I feel they are better or worthy of consideration):

Little Mountain CC (Concord, OH)- H&F course that could replace Stonewater.
Black Diamond GC (Millersburg, OH) - Barry Sarafin course on wild terrain that was the topic of a recent post by a rater that spoke highly of it.  I posted over a year ago before that post praising it.
The Quarry GC (Canton, OH) - Brian Huntley course that is most likely too new for the list, but if scooping the other magazines is the goal this course is top 10 in the state.
Auman Timbers GC (Dover, OH) - For wow factor alone of half of the holes, this course is a blast to play.  Some awkward routing issues on the back of the property may preclude it.
Deer Ridge GC (Bellville, OH) - Huntley course on very rolling terrain.
Salt Fork State Park GC (Lore City, OH)
Mohican Hills GC, Jeromesville, OH) Jack Kidwell courses that I would consider over Hickory Hills
Sleeply Hollow GC (Brecksville, OH) Very good Stanley Thompson course that used to be private and is now part of the Cleveland Park System golf courses.
Castle Shannon GC (Hopedale, OH) - very gold course on a rolling piece of property - conditions and location may preclude this one.
Blackmoor GC (Wintersville, OH) - Another very good John Robinson course in remote location.

Comparing the Ohio list to the Michigan one, I feel the Michigan is a much better list for the golfer looking to have a good idea of the top courses in the state.  What do others think of the Ohio list?

Here is the updated list from 2008:

1. Longaberger, Nashport
2. Shaker Run, Lebanon
3. Stonelick Hills, Batavia
4. Boulder Creek, Streetsboro
5. Avalon G&CC (Avalon/Lakes), Warren
6. StoneWater, Cleveland
7. Cook's Creek, Columbus
8. Black Diamond, Millersburg*
9. Aston, North Bend
10. Rattlesnake Ridge, Sundbury

This past year (after playing Black Diamond for the first time) I asked Brad to place it on the GW list...looks like it got some play and I'm glad it ended up in these rankings.

As for a few others you listed above (that I've played)...I agree that the Quarry is an outstanding course with varied terrain and interesting par-and-a-half holes.  Sleepy Hollow is also a Cleveland area gem, but is in need of some TLC to get it where it really should be.

Evan,

Wow, the list actually regressed.  Now they have two private courses on the list: Stonewater and Rattlesnake Ridge.  I pointed out Rattlesnake Ridge was private after the 2006 list came out.  The course came off the list in 2007 and now is back on????  At least Hickory Hills is off the list and they did not get the trifecta with three private course on a public list!

http://www.rrgolfclub.com/

It says on the main paige:  "Rattlesnake Ridge golf club is a private, member-only facility" as it said in 2006 and 2007.

Glad to see that Black Diamond made the list as I pointed this course out prior to you posting your review of it last year.

If you play many of the courses on my "others to consider list," you will not be disappointed.  I would also think you will find many better than several on the 2008 list.

Chris

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 08:11:15 PM »
Wow Chris...as of last summer I thought that StoneWater was a PUBLIC course...which it was...as of August, 2007 it has become a members-only course.

News to me!

I will try and see the others on your recommendations list...thanks!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2008, 10:30:13 AM »
Wow Chris...as of last summer I thought that StoneWater was a PUBLIC course...which it was...as of August, 2007 it has become a members-only course.

News to me!

I will try and see the others on your recommendations list...thanks!

Evan,

Check out the attached link.  According to " golf fees" pull down - the club went members only in August of last year!!!!

http://www.stonewatergolf.com/

Chris

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »
This is the thread that finally got me to break my 6 years of lurking and ask Ran for a spot in the forum, since for some reason, I couldn't register through the site itself.

Golf Styles Ohio last fall did a feature on the 100 "must play" publics in Ohio and focused around the major metropolitan areas.  I was shocked not to see Stonewater on that list by Cleveland, but now that makes total sense on why it wasn't included.  Stonewater going private was news to me as well.  At least GSO's list is up to date.

Chris, agree with your comments about Mohican Hills.  With the exception of the 10th hole, I think it's great and very underrated.  Every time I visit the in-laws in Wooster, I try to hit it up.  I'm going to try and play Little Mountain next time I'm in the area as I've heard nothing but great things.

Doug, your comments about the Players' Club course at Foxfire are spot on.  Always wondered how Cooks Creek and even Eaglesticks, both of which I enjoy, got on these lists and that course didn't.  Players Club may be my favorite public course in the Columbus area.  Haven't had a chance to play Longaberger yet.

I don't agree with Aston Oaks being in the top 10.  The course conditions have improved dramatically since new ownership took over and the addition of a very nice clubhouse has helped as well.  I live relatively close to the course and have had several outings there and they have treated us very well.  But I don't think it's the 9th best public in Ohio.

For courses that haven't already been mentioned, I'll throw out…
- Windy Knoll (Springfield, OH) – Love the half flag sticks.  Never had a chance to play it in really windy conditions, but liked the layout nonetheless.  Outside of Stonelick, this is my favorite public course in the Cincy/Dayton area.
- Apple Valley (Howard, OH) – Home to many Ohio Public Links tournaments, nice mix of open and narrow holes.
- Hawks Nest (Creston, OH) – Now owned by OSU ATI (Agricultural Technical Institute), I hope they maintain the course well as I always enjoyed it.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »
This is the thread that finally got me to break my 6 years of lurking and ask Ran for a spot in the forum, since for some reason, I couldn't register through the site itself.

Golf Styles Ohio last fall did a feature on the 100 "must play" publics in Ohio and focused around the major metropolitan areas.  I was shocked not to see Stonewater on that list by Cleveland, but now that makes total sense on why it wasn't included.  Stonewater going private was news to me as well.  At least GSO's list is up to date.

Chris, agree with your comments about Mohican Hills.  With the exception of the 10th hole, I think it's great and very underrated.  Every time I visit the in-laws in Wooster, I try to hit it up.  I'm going to try and play Little Mountain next time I'm in the area as I've heard nothing but great things.

Doug, your comments about the Players' Club course at Foxfire are spot on.  Always wondered how Cooks Creek and even Eaglesticks, both of which I enjoy, got on these lists and that course didn't.  Players Club may be my favorite public course in the Columbus area.  Haven't had a chance to play Longaberger yet.

I don't agree with Aston Oaks being in the top 10.  The course conditions have improved dramatically since new ownership took over and the addition of a very nice clubhouse has helped as well.  I live relatively close to the course and have had several outings there and they have treated us very well.  But I don't think it's the 9th best public in Ohio.

For courses that haven't already been mentioned, I'll throw out…
- Windy Knoll (Springfield, OH) – Love the half flag sticks.  Never had a chance to play it in really windy conditions, but liked the layout nonetheless.  Outside of Stonelick, this is my favorite public course in the Cincy/Dayton area.
- Apple Valley (Howard, OH) – Home to many Ohio Public Links tournaments, nice mix of open and narrow holes.
- Hawks Nest (Creston, OH) – Now owned by OSU ATI (Agricultural Technical Institute), I hope they maintain the course well as I always enjoyed it.

Glad to read that my post brought you over from lurker status.

First, I have never played the Player's Club at Foxfire - maybe I will get out there this year.  If people feel that it is better than Cook's Creek and Eaglesticks, then I should check it out.  My mentioning of Eaglesticks and Cook's Creek was more to the fact that CC is a solid course and I am not going to split hairs about it being on the list (at least it is public).  However, I like Eaglesticks a heck of a lot more than Aston Oaks, Shaker Run and even Longaberger.

I have played Windy Knoll and it is a solid course, well conditioned (if people require / go for this - I don not) course.  The course has some very good holes and some boring / bad ones (b/c of real estate issues on the back 9).  I am not sure the course belongs in the top 10. 

I have not played Apple Valley, but have heard good things.

Hawks Nest is a OK course, by a former Fazio employee.  The course was decent, but after my round, I struggled to remember many of the holes because they seemed very similar.  Interesting story of how OSU becamd the course owner.  The Owners originally contact OSU about selling the course to them (I believe they are former alums) at a discounted rate and OSU passed, but said they could donate the course to them if the Owner's wanted.  How cavalier of OSU!!  Glad to see they treat their alums so well!

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back