News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Re:Ornamental Golf Grasses
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 07:27:31 AM »
Paul,

That's not me....I never stray from the fairway(yea, right!)...unless I don't hit it far enough to get to the fairway.

This is a fellow super from Florida, in Florida. The ball was suspended about two feet off the ground, and he somehow got the ball back in the fairway with that shot.

Joe

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 07:40:08 AM »
All the native grasses at Long Cove are Love Grass-#5, #6, #7, #8 and the remaining beds are spotted with Love grass. We cut them back every Feb/March and replanted about 4000 per year. There are over 15000 plants there.

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Joe Hancock

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 08:27:50 AM »
As a side note, in one of the photo's above, I like how they have the name "Cruden Bay" as part of the bench. Is that because the golfers tend to forget where the hell they are???? I don't get it.....

Joe
(I'm putting a sign on my recliner that simply states "Home". Just in case....)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JMorgan

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 08:51:50 AM »

Muhly grass (Muhlenbergia capillaris) sure is purdy.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 02:50:29 PM »
OK....Really another fine GCA.com moment...a grASS pic....This is one of yours truly, playing from lovegrass at The New Course, Grand Cypress Resort. Photo courtesy of lurking architect Bruce Matthews III, who snapped this picture a few years back as we enjoyed a mid-winter round of golf together.

Joe

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 03:12:59 PM »
As a side note, in one of the photo's above, I like how they have the name "Cruden Bay" as part of the bench. Is that because the golfers tend to forget where the hell they are???? I don't get it.....

Joe
(I'm putting a sign on my recliner that simply states "Home". Just in case....)

Joe,
I'd suspect a fiscally prudent Greens Chair picked up the fine bench in the early 60s from the local railway station after Dr Beeching swung his rather sharp axe upon the british rail system...

edumacashun (and free...!) ;)
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 03:33:26 PM »
I'm surprised one of you wise guys haven't posted any hemp ornamental growing on a course somewhere.  
JMorgan, that stuff is positively psychidelic!  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 03:34:55 PM »
Read that when Gil Hanse did TPC Boston over he wanted to use native grass.  He found just what he wanted near a parking lot of an Asian restaurant within a few miles of the course.  Got permission to dig it and that's what they used.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 03:52:53 PM »
I'm surprised one of you wise guys haven't posted any hemp ornamental growing on a course somewhere.  
JMorgan, that stuff is positively psychidelic!  

Sorry, RJ...no experience with that...... :)

Joe

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 08:07:29 PM »
I'm gonna go with Mr. Hancock and say I'd only like a little bluestem mixed into the fescue.  That or whatever is native and done in good taste (doesn't look like landscaping in front of a Walmart).

Is anyone elso reminded of Ernie Els at Troon in the picture of Joe at Grand Cypress?
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 08:15:26 PM »

Crystal Downs

This a great photo of the first hole and a view that I feel is almost as good as that from the tee because the undulations of the fairway are much better revealed, especially that ridge.  I'm not much a fan of striping, but it sure does a good job of showing how crazy those landforms are.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Mike McGuire

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 09:02:48 PM »
I would not label the grass's between the holes at Shinnecock ornamental. It's native or native looking.

The plant Joe is hitting out of is ornamental. It belongs in the beds around the clubhouse. Not on the course. It does not look good and plays even worse.

Norbert P

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 01:31:40 AM »
 Has anybody here ever played on machair turf? It's not an actual species, but a type of turf containing several grasses and plants in a certain type of sandy soil - mostly, if not uniquely found in the northwest of Scotland.

I can't say that I have, but I did walk a course in Ireland called Mulrany that was bazaar, in that it had flowers, grass, weeds, etcetera, but the turf looked quite playable, tight and tough.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Norbert P

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 02:23:42 PM »
 Here's a shot of rough that ties in well with the garnet bark of the madrones (and elsewhere manzanita).

#11 Par 3 Redan @ Bandon Crossings
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back