News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

The rebirth of Sleepy Hollow
« on: January 20, 2008, 02:23:48 PM »
Today I was at my gym reading the February issue of Cigar Aficionado (you don't think I would work out) and I saw some stunning photos of Sleepy Hollow taken by photographer Jim Krajicek.  

As I dived into the article, it focused on the restoration work performed by Gil Hanse and George Bahto.

Its a great article, disussing the clubs dilema of becoming out dated, unhappy with bunker work performed in the 1990's, what to do and how to do it.  Looking for a new direction, they look backward.  

I would suggest everyone purchase the magazine.

Lloyd_Cole

Re:The rebirth of Sleepy Hollow
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:28:29 PM »
Joel
What kind of Gym subscribes to smoking magazines?

corey miller

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 06:42:24 PM »

In the spirit of full disclosure:the picture above is a Morrissett special.

The article does a good job of explaining some of the challanges in doing this sort of work in a "country club" setting.   ;D

Adam Sherer

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 08:04:04 PM »
The article shows some appreciation for the oft-criticized Green Committee Chairman (George Sanosian) and always overlooked golf course builder (Hawk Shaw Golf Course Construction).

The club members and builders are rarely ever mentioned in regards to course improvements. Have the people at Cigar Afficianado helped to break the golf course architecture "glass ceiling" by mentioning the Chairperson and Contractor as important factors in a restoration project?

"Spem successus alit"
 (success nourishes hope)

- Ross clan motto

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 10:48:29 PM »
The article shows some appreciation for the oft-criticized Green Committee Chairman (George Sanosian) and always overlooked golf course builder (Hawk Shaw Golf Course Construction).

The club members and builders are rarely ever mentioned in regards to course improvements. Have the people at Cigar Afficianado helped to break the golf course architecture "glass ceiling" by mentioning the Chairperson and Contractor as important factors in a restoration project?

I hope George responds to why they used Hawk Shaw.  I thought Gil and team did most of their own work but maybe bunkers are not their strengths?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 10:57:31 PM »
Joel Stewart,

Based on Applebrook and Innescrone, I'd say that Gil Hanse's bunker work is exceptional.

George_Bahto

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:13:21 PM »
Joel: Hawkshaw Construction (Geoff Porteous, owner) is the usual contractor used by both Gil and myself whenever possible. He first started with Gil back when he built Tall Grass.

Gil used to do a lot more shaping than he can get at today. The only bunker shaping he did at Sleepy was the two up short of 18-green.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:14:47 PM by George_Bahto »
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 07:40:39 PM »
Based on Applebrook and Innescrone, I'd say that Gil Hanse's bunker work is exceptional.

As well as Rustic Canyon.

Pat Mucci:  Have you played Sleepy Hollow since the work?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 09:21:52 PM »
Joel Stewart,

YES.

I enjoyed the golf course, it's quite unique.

I had not played it prior to the work.

I'm hopeful that the work at Sleepy Hollow will be ongoing, especially with respect to the removal of more trees and especially where skyline greens like # 5 can be made spectacular.

The topography and routing are very interesting as are the individual holes placed on the terrain.

While the view from # 16 tee is visually stunning, the substance of the golf course and the joy of playing it transcends the photo op

Bill Brightly

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 10:58:41 AM »
And they have one of the coolest walkways you will ever see!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back