News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Bill Gayne

Re:What should Hockey and Golf have in common?
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 09:52:24 AM »
Maybe hockey should play without helmets and golf go back to wooden sticks.

Actually, I really like the modern game. I just wish the NHL could find away for contraction in the number of teams.

If you want to see a clip of "old time hockey" watch the attached.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA3dtGDHcf4

RJ_Daley

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 09:55:57 AM »
I guess another way to say it or look at it is that the entire experience of being a fan/spectator of golf is a gentrified sort of thing, where you walk around a nice golf course (even in inclement whether - until lightening warnings are issued) you find a cozy advantage point or sit in bleachers, and there is no yelling (other than the Arizona par 3 hole) and you just have this pleasant and restrained experience.  

You can go relatively nuts at football or hockey games.  You cheer vigorously for ongoing action.  He shoots-he scores!!!  is a lot more interactive and exciting than a polite golf clap after a 12 footer breaking a few inches left is holed.

In hockey, for the rules nerds, the action, when really hot is riding a fine line between rules and mayhem.  Golf is either your ball oscillated and take a stroke penalty or not.  Sitting in a penalty box, washing out blood from your gob, and putting half your clothes and equipment back on after the dust-up is different than going to the trailer and arguing with "Slugger White" that you did not actually address your ball.  Spirit of a sport is honorable, when played hard but right.  But, nature of a sport defines the boundaries that one can go retro or harken back to gain some measure of 'old time spirit'.  

I think the best way that one can add some spirit and grit to golf is in your own play.  I'm reminded of what Mark at Sutton Bay told me about what a certain well known golf nut, multi-course major venue owner, and rugged individualist does to get his gritty golf jollies.  He and his other well-to-do, but gritty golfer pals play what they call is their 'bounce game'.  They watch the cool golf venues for tough weather coming in, and when it looks rough, they fly out to play.  When I told Mark that the particular time we played at Sutton was the most brutal conditions I'd played in, he mentioned the 'bounce game'.  I know I never felt more invigorated than having my ass frozen, sleet driven and any skin exposed - wind blasted, than that time.  Dinner was a craved and greatly appreciated event that night.   Oh, except the "believer's cup" in Ogallala last fall... which might have been a crescendo of golf spirit, with golf staff heros, loving a game and great commeraderie.   ;) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2008, 10:02:10 AM »
Hockey? Golf?

Do not be absurd. Golf is common with chess!

First you must decide whether to open agressively, or with more care. Then you attempt to occupy the stong points, and avoid weak positions, then get power around that king standing tall there. Finally, shove it right up ..... err, down ..... err, well, the paralell suffers a bit here!

But chess! Yes. Definitely!

;)

Doug

Bill Gayne

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 10:50:07 AM »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »
The equipment used in the hockey game is not germane to the point of the exercise proposed.
However, by placing the emphasis on the equipment, in this retro golf toon-a-mint, could help illustrate the differences between the automaton player of today and the creative shotmaking swashbuckler of yesteryear.

The only exception I took with Brad's plan was the caddy thing. As someone who is a proponent of caddy programs to help introduce the game to the youngsters I thought it was an unneeded qualification.

Here's one for all you theorists.

If the R&A did mandate the I&B rules to the point of getting sued. Who here would ever by another piece of equipment from the plaintiff?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

RJ_Daley

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2008, 11:23:49 PM »
If the R&A did mandate the I&B rules to the point of getting sued. Who here would ever by another piece of equipment from the plaintiff?

Adam, I think the operative words in the above are "who here"...  :)  If 99% of 'who here' boycotted such a plaintiff in an equipment bully suit, I feel pretty certain that those manufacturers couldn't care less about 1350 GCA.com'ers witholding from their sales.  They have the other 99.95% of the general golfing public to spin their line of protecting the public's opportunity to buy better games through technology, say about 24,999,000 of 25 million golfers.   We are a pretty insular group, hey.  ::) ;D  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:27:55 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 12:10:18 AM »

why don't patriotic road builders refuse to build anymore, until we are weened off that carbon combustion engine?

Patriots serve their country. Almost all of the roads I drive on in the US are bid/built by the government. Refusing to serve your government is not being a patriot.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 12:12:40 AM by Mike McGuire »

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 12:11:21 PM »

why don't patriotic road builders refuse to build anymore, until we are weened off that carbon combustion engine?

Patriots serve their country. Almost all of the roads I drive on in the US are bid/built by the government. Refusing to serve your government is not being a patriot.

It could be if you don't feel the goverment reflects the country. Do you think it was patriotic for a Frenchman to become a Nazi during WWII. Similarly John may feel that the  goverment was putting money before the interests of the people in not taking the environment seriously by not signing up to Kyoto and other treaties to be responsible members of the international community like their country has been in the past.

P.s This is not a personal attack or Political Post.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 12:17:40 PM by Matthew Hunt »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back