News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

These Guys are old, but GOOD!
« on: May 29, 2008, 05:53:43 AM »
I just received the draw for the first event of the year for the Scottish Seniors Gofling Society, a semi-formal body which is dedicated to building a senior amateur tour in Scotland.  It was formed last year and I played in one of their events, and while there were a small number of true quality players involved, the average/mean handicap was probably something like 5 or 6, ranging from scratch to 12.  Well........this year, for the first tournament the mean handicap is 2.6 for a field of 108.  Currently playing off 6.5 I am well into the skinny left hand side of the bell curve.

I wonder, where did all these guys come from?  The answer is (obviously, at least to me)--build a a platform for serious older golfers to congregate and compete and they will come.  But, therefore, Mr. Goodale, what?

1.  Don't think of all seniors as the Mr. Haversham's of the world.  Haversham was a hacker when he was plucking the darling buds of May, and he will always be.  He is what he is, but he is at the very far left end of the bell curve, as it exists today.

2.  One of the greatest attributes of the game of golf is that it CAN be played at relatively high levels well into "old" age.  If you are in the industry and trying to increase particiaption from younger people, sell this, but don't talk about the Haversham's, talk about the growing number of serious senior golfers who can still move the ball around the course with skill and passion.

3.  Pamper your skilled and experienced seniors.  If the Pat Muccis and Tom Pauls and Bob Huntleys of the world can be persuaded to spend more time trying to build the ethos of golf with the younger generations, at their clubs and elsewhere, the game can have an exciting future.  If not, and the image of the game amongst most yougner people is of Mr. and Mrs. Haversham hacking their way up a fairway in "Caddyshack," well, the game is doomed to continue to stagnate, at least the the USA and the rest of the "Old World."

MHO, of course.

Rich

Dan Kelly

Re: These Guys are old, but GOOD!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 06:12:52 AM »
Rich --

I didn't think H. was part of your M.O.!

I do agree with you, with one quibble: Is pampering what "old people" want? Don't they want, rather, to be showcased -- and, when they are competent at something, to showcase themselves?

You are right: Golf clubs and associations and societies ought to be going out of their way, as you say, to sell the notion of golf as a lifetime pursuit. What better way than to let the codgers show off a bit ... not so much to "build the ethos of golf" as to be the proof in the pudding (and/or the putting -- not to mention the chipping)?

Perhaps that's all you mean by "pamper."

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 06:41:27 AM »
Rich

Golf is indeed for all ages but the older generations still has a tremendous amount to offer and many, many games still to play. Pamper, if its available I'll have some of that - Older Golfers need to be Pampered - whats wrong with that Dan?

Experience should lead to maturity, well it does, if after playing Tain you walk down to the Glenmorangie Distillery for a bottle of 15-18 year old  Single Highland Malt. Ask first for a sample of their range (it’s the Scottish way, a wee free sample or three, before settling for the 15 year old – real sign of Scottish Experience/Maturity/Prudence). With age I have come to enjoy a teaspoon (no more and no less) of water with my malt to quench its oils and a lot of pampering.

Why would I ever think of playing anywhere else? Hickory/Gutta/Malt, nothing beats a real game of old Scottish Golf.

IMMHO
(second M = Most)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:02:46 AM »
Dan

Just consider that "H" to be an orthographic emoticon, and you are right in your interpretation of "pampering."  And to all those Generation X, Y , Z, and "on Beyond Zebra" folks out there--thanks for paying my Social Security, now and well into the future....

Melvyn

I cannot count the number and varieties of Glen Morangie I have consumed over the past 30 years, probably at least partly due to the number of them that I have actually consumed.

Rich

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:21:52 PM »
  ::) :-\ :'( Moderation in all things… Rich ::) :-\ :'(

;) 8) Well you could at least try. 8) ;)

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 12:42:36 PM »
Melvyn -

I was at Glenmorangie (and Tain) last week.  The new French ownership (LVMH) has shaken things up there a bit - new shapes for the bottles, new names for the various casked-malts, etc. The good news is the malts still taste pretty good!

DT

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 01:05:14 PM »
Melvyn -

I was at Glenmorangie (and Tain) last week.  The new French ownership (LVMH) has shaken things up there a bit - new shapes for the bottles, new names for the various casked-malts, etc. The good news is the malts still taste pretty good!

DT

David, that was a good tip you gave me last week.  I will pass it on to other future visitors to Scotland.  The single malts cost twice as much in Scotland as they cost in the US!  I'm planning to buy a bottle (maybe two, it's a 10 day trip) to take with me next weekend...........

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back