News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Re:Uphill par threes
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2007, 07:12:01 PM »
Im sorry, Wayne ; I guess it's downhill then.

Mike, I'm sorry that you think a hole that plays 2' uphill over 230 yards should be considered in a discussion of uphill holes. It isn't downhill, but I wouldn't consider that hole in a discussion of uphill par 3s.  For that matter, the 10th is hardly uphill either.  But they certainly are higher than the tee.  Yet negligibly so compared to the length of the holes.  In any case, they are among the finest par 3s in American golf.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 07:26:27 PM by Wayne Morrison »

michael_j_fay

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2007, 07:13:24 PM »
Number 2 at the Shinnecock Hills Golf Club is the best uphill par three I have ever played.

Among the uphill Ross 3's there is one at The Mark Twai Muni that is hard to beat, though the are a number of Ross uphill threes that are the cause of consternation because they not appear to be uphill.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2007, 10:17:15 PM »
I like the uphill No. 15 at Rustic Canyon because of the three tiers in the green.

But I can't think of any courses in the Top 100 with an uphill green.

On the other hand, it is fun to hit a shot up hill and find your ball next to the hole.

Other ones I have played, No. 15 at Virginia CC, No. 8 at Montecito CC, and No. 12 at Bandon Trails.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2007, 10:49:33 PM »
This is a brute when playing into the wind. Ballybunion 200 yards.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2007, 11:52:46 PM »
How far uphill is #5 at Pine Valley?

(better yet, does anybody have pictures?)

Peter Carroll

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2007, 12:50:02 AM »

Three examples of possibly the best P3's in Australia - and interestingly all uphill:
#15 at Kingston Heath
#5 at RMW
#11 at Yarra Yarra

and from GB&I # 4 Sunningdale Old - the devlish 5th at Saunton East for starters

Couldn't agree with Kevin more.  If you google 15th Kingston Heath there are a few pictures.  A terrific hole, that follows exactly what Tom Doak said re: elevation and green tilt.

Sean_A

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2007, 02:09:14 AM »
Another hole which comes to mind is the 5th at Painswick.  This has to be, well if I was off by double (which I still can't believe is only 25 feet!) at Shiskine then its hard to say how much elevation there is, but its very significant.  I am not a great fan of the hole though.  I would probably feel differently if I had seen the hole many years before.  One can take only so many of these fortress holes.  

BTW I spose it is no surprise, but Painswick has another blind uphill par 3, #10.  Its not as severe as the 5th and in fact its probably a better hole than the 5th.  The one aspect of the hole which is very  cool is that the green is about the smallest one I have ever seen.  

Its a shame that Painswick suffers condition difficulties.  It may be the only interesting course I have seen which is I feel is terribly affected by poor conditioning.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2007, 03:05:26 AM »
Sean- Give Painswick another try, its quite often in an ok condition, lick hard summers avoid, but its a good winter course as long its not been really heavy. Also try Minchinhampton Old, I think you would like this. I agree the 5th at Painswick is not a great hole, infact that and the 10th are talking points why people do not go to Painswick.

Uphill par 3 holes are rarely great and its quite difficult to get them to look even reasonable, people do like to see their efforts on short holes and a downhill one is usually spectacular. I was going through the ones I have done and can only think of two real uphill ones. 2nd @ Erlestoke and 4th @ Dainton, both holes are pretty crap in all honesty and were means to get from one area to another. The 4th and 9th on the new nine @ Cumberwell have come out quite well, neither is much uphill and there is good pin visibilty, I guess with up to 4 metres rise you could get a result.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

mike_malone

« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2007, 05:10:53 PM »
 Bill,

As for #12 at Ballybunion, I think the wind coming from the left off of the shore creates even more difficulty. How far left am I willing to go , avoid the hill on the left , don't go down the hill on the right.
AKA Mayday

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2007, 10:17:18 PM »
I believe the 14th at Ballybunion also plays quite a bit uphill, but is only in the 135ish range.  The 14th at Portrush also plays uphill if my memory is correct.  Great par 3.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2007, 10:22:18 PM »
The 14th at Portrush also plays uphill if my memory is correct.

Certainly - if your tee-shot is short and right  ;D

RichMacafee

« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2007, 04:06:05 AM »
What are some good examples of uphill par threes?

What are some good examples of par threes that go way uphill?

Three examples of possibly the best P3's in Australia - and interestingly all uphill:
#15 at Kingston Heath
#5 at RMW
#11 at Yarra Yarra

Kevin,

I would not consider 5 at RMW to be uphill. Obviously there is a huge rise before the green but the tee and the green are basically on the same level. I could be wrong, but if I had to put a few dollars on whether the green or tee were higher, I would put money on the tee (just).

I personally think 7 at RMW is a better hole than 5, and 7 is definitely uphill.

Completely agree with 15 KH and 11 YY.
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2007, 01:33:59 PM »
The old #5 at Pebble Beach was a nice uphill dogleg left par 3.

And Jordan, while I don't have any pictures, #5 at Pine Valley is only slightly uphill so I would not classify it as "uphill". Kind of like I do not classify #7 at CPC as uphill.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back