News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Golf course designer going strong

By CRAIG DOLCH

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

PORT ST. LUCIE — Like many avid golfers, Pete and Alice Dye took a trip to Scotland to visit the home of their sport.

Little did anyone know how much that six-week journey in 1963 would transform American golf for the next half-century. The Dyes played some golf on that trip, but mostly they soaked in the surroundings and came back to the U.S. determined to build that style of golf course.

"That trip was the fundamental basis of everything we've done," Pete Dye, whose wife has assisted on most of his designs, said Tuesday. "We saw so many golf courses - at least two a day. I had never seen anything like it. It turned my career around 100 percent."

That visit not only shaped his vision, but also has had a profound impact on a generation of golf-course architects who realized there were more creative ways to build golf courses than simply move dirt and make them play longer.

Dye, who lives in Delray Beach, built shorter courses, while legends, such as Robert Trent Jones, lengthened them. Dye preferred sharp, abrupt features like swales and mounds and hollows rather than long, graceful lines. He built small, difficult greens with lots of contour instead of massive greens. He moved as little dirt as possible. He bought into the Donald Ross theory that holes should have tee shots that go from left to right and green angles that move from right to left - or vice versa.

Dye's latest work was unveiled Tuesday when his aptly named Dye Course was re-opened at the PGA Golf Club. This wasn't a traditional golf course renovation as much as it was a historical restoration. The PGA of America, which runs the three-course club, wasn't looking to turn the Dye Course into a typical resort-style layout. Neither was Dye. He's very proud of the links-style course not found near water.

Here's the rest of the article:

www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2007/10/10/a1c_golf_extra_1010.html
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 07:49:40 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JC Jones

Re:Pete Dye and his latest course-Dye at PGA GC, Port St. Lucie, FL
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 09:37:38 AM »
Most of that must be sarcasm. :o
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 11:04:43 AM »
This nest line has to be the dumbest sentence I have ever read when it comes to golf:

"The PGA of America spent the extra expense of installing 400,000 square feet of coquina cart paths, adding to the links-style look."

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 06:05:17 PM »
Hey, I like coquina cart paths- much better than concrete. ;D

Here's more on the course:

www.pga.com/news/pganews/pgamedianewsletter/dye100907.cfm
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 06:48:00 PM »
No I'm talking about how he said cart paths made it links style.

God I hate that term..."links style"

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 11:52:31 AM »
Anyone play any of the 3 courses at PGA Village?  If so what are your thoughts?....thanks

David Whitmer

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 12:34:19 PM »
Cliff, I used to spend the winter working at PGA Village when I was a golf pro. The Dye course was about to open up my last year there, so I just played the North and the South courses. I'm not head-over-heels in love with any Florida golf course not named Seminole, so I found them to be nothing more than your typical Florida golf courses. By that, I mean plenty of ponds with alligators, plenty of bunkers, and houses as far as the eye can see. I don't mean to belittle the courses; actually, I think the entire facility is quite nice, and the prices are reasonable. Having played roughly 25 different courses in Florida, the ones at PGA Village don't stand out as anything different or unique.

If you're in the area, and the rates are still modest, it is definitely worth teeing it up there. I found the South course to be slightly better than the North course.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 02:24:37 PM »
Wow, I just played this course yesterday not knowing any of this, was about to make a thread on the course and post some pictures. This is a damn good golf course. Damn good. And a lot prettier than Seminole.  ;D

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 03:18:01 PM »
Wow, I just played this course yesterday not knowing any of this, was about to make a thread on the course and post some pictures. This is a damn good golf course. Damn good. And a lot prettier than Seminole.  ;D

I played this course a few times before the restoration and enjoyed it a lot. I'm not normally a fan of Florida golf.

Please post a few pics if you get a chance. I'll be going there in December and would like to see what changed.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 04:39:27 PM »
Ryan, would love to see your pictures and comments.  Likely to end up there early March.  Any golf beats no golf that time of the year and PGA village at $109 is relatively 'reasonable'.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 09:44:22 PM »
A few comments about the course before we get into the pictures, first off, this is an extremely walkable golf course. But you are force-fed into a cart for some reason and the cart fee is included in the greens fees. My brother lost it when I got out of the golf cart and started walking after the third hole. The course is extremely intimidating tee to green, most of the green contours were extreme, but playable. The greens are tiny but the surrounds are very generous, some are peppered with bunkers, some, almost too small to stand in while extreme hills or hollow are present on other green sites. All in all a great mix of strategic and challenging holes. And few opportunities to loose golf balls, compared to the Fazio course I played around the same area as well as some other Pete Dye courses I have played.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 09:57:44 PM »
Ryan,

Thanks for the pictures.

The rates until December 24:

M-Th $55
F-Su  $65

There is a 10% discount for booking online 9 days prior.

I'll be in the area in about 2 weeks and will try to play there.

Matt Kardash

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 08:57:15 AM »
Wow, that course looks pretty unique. I think those are some of the more interesting pics I've seen on this site in a while.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

John_Cullum

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 09:53:09 AM »
Its a very good course. The best in Martin/St Lucie County (though I have not seen The Floridian, Huizenga's personal course, and technically Medalist and MacArthur are in Martin County, but not by much and the Dye course is probably better than them anyway).

The recent renovations appear to have softened the course a little. Some areas of palmetto scrub have been removed and are now playable. Those are about the only substantive changes I could see.

The six hole pitch and putt course may have the best greens in the complex. Any one who goes to PGA Village should take the short course for a spin.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 09:58:11 AM by John_Cullum »
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 08:34:22 AM »
Ryan..thanks for the comments and pix.  If you were going to play 3 rounds at PGA Village would you play one at each of the 3 or divide the rounds differently?

John_Cullum

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 09:16:08 AM »
Although your question is not directed to me, I would suggest playing only the Dye course and skipping the other 2. Go play Eagle Marsh or Indian Hills instead

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2007, 09:35:07 AM »
thanks john...was really directed at anyone with experience there...your response is appreciated

SPDB

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 08:01:40 PM »
I don't understand what's new about this course? I played
it one year on my way up to Vero Beach from Palm Beach
and i can recall the holes posted by Ryan.

Calling it a new (or Dye's latest) course seems a bit
disingenuous, imo.

John_Cullum

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 12:29:36 AM »
I don't think anyone would notice the changes unless they were very familiar with the course

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back