News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Michelin Ranking--slightly OT
« on: November 20, 2007, 06:48:37 AM »
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article2901640.ece

The article linked above reports on the fact that the lastest Michelin ratings of the world's "best" restaurants now puts Tokyo roughly at a par with Paris and miles ahead of New York, San Francisco and London.  At the Doak Scale 8/Michelin 1* end, Tokyo blows everybody away.

Are we going to wake up one day to the revelation that there are more Doak 10's/3*** courses in Dubai than Southampton?  I'd give it a 50/50 chance in my lifetime.

JESII

Re:Michelin Ranking--slightly OT
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 07:45:22 AM »
Southampton, NY? England?

Either way...yes!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 08:05:48 AM »
Jim

And GAP too?

JESII

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 08:18:51 AM »
Sorry Rich...I was still focussing on the Michelin part of the equation...I was thinking of restaurants.

Considering we have built several thousand courses in the states without yet surpassing Southampton, NY I doubt it'll happen in the desert.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 08:25:36 AM »
Sorry Rich...I was still focussing on the Michelin part of the equation...I was thinking of restaurants.

Hey, I did use the word "courses."  You could have been easily confused.

Vis a vis Southampton, if we are used to those kinds of golf courses and are so inured to their charms that we can't imagine anything better, sure, but if something different and better is built in Dubai, or China or Patagonia, we'll probably be the next to last to know.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 08:36:06 AM »
As the saying goes, "follow the money!"  ;)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 08:40:53 AM »
As the saying goes, "follow the money!"  ;)

Or, as the article implies:

"Follow the quality."

Or, as I have said:

"Quality eventually leads to money, and vice versa."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 08:46:11 AM »
The problem with the Doak scale is that it focuses on the individual.  It is all about you this or you that, you, you, you.  I agree with you that Asia will eventually have 50% of the greatests courses in the world.  They just won't fit the Doak selfish model.

John Kirk

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 10:29:10 AM »
I don't think so, unless a distinct change in course evaluation takes place.  If the world begins to see the manufactured course as ideal, perhaps.  I'm under the impression those middle Eastern desert sand dunes aren't the kind you can build courses on.  I've been wrong before...147 times.

Here's the article on the Tiger Woods project in Dubai.  30 meter elevation change!  Has anybody ever heard of this bunkershot.com website?  Looked pretty good.

http://www.bunkershot.com/2007/viewstory.cfm?ID=4120

Al Ruwaya slated to open in September 2009

The Tiger Woods Dubai broke ground today on its private residential golf community and resort that will include Al Ruwaya, the world's first golf course designed by Tiger Woods.

The Tiger Woods Dubai, a member of Tatweer, will be located on 55 million sq ft in Dubailand, the region's largest tourism, leisure, entertainment and lifestyle destination. Expected to feature one of the best golf courses in the world, The Tiger Woods Dubai is slated to open in September 2009.

"I'm excited we've reached this milestone and can't wait until The Tiger Woods Dubai welcomes its first residents and guests," Tiger Woods said. "I've worked very hard on the design of Al Ruwaya and am looking forward to seeing it take shape during the next few years of construction."

Saeed Al Muntafiq, Executive Chairman of Tatweer, said: "The Tiger Woods Dubai is an exceptional project. Thus it is imperative we provide an unparalleled community and high-end services that would not only match, but exceed, Tiger Woods' expectations."

Surrounding Al Ruwaya's dramatic and beautiful 18 holes will be a professionally staffed golf academy; an iconic clubhouse; an 80-suite boutique hotel with 10 private bungalows; a well-being spa; a fine-dining restaurant; 197 residences; and relevant upscale community services for residents and guests.

Abdulla Al Gurg, Project Director of The Tiger Woods Dubai, noted that Tatweer has made an extraordinary commitment to the overall development of the project. Al Gurg, along with Bryon Bell, President of Tiger Woods Design, were present at the groundbreaking ceremony.

Al Gurg said: "We are well into the process of planning and coordinating all of the different disciplines including golf course construction, landscaping, irrigation, and development infrastructure. This groundbreaking marks the beginning of preliminary earthworks and we will work around the clock to achieve the scheduled opening of the golf course, hotel, and luxury residences in September 2009."

The Tiger Woods Dubai is collaborating with Tiger Woods Design and government authorities to finalize all aspects of the detailed master plan, which is expected to be released in late summer.

Bulk earthworks to enhance the natural topography of the site are expected to take six to eight months to complete and will result in elevation changes of up to 30 meters across the entire site. The globally respected construction firm Dutco Balfour Beatty have commenced works on site. Key to the construction of The Tiger Woods Dubai is the care taken to conserve and protect the environment, including the use of recycled water to support the lush landscaping and 280,000 square meters of lakes throughout the development.

Ends/-

About The Tiger Woods Dubai:
The Tiger Woods Dubai, a member of Tatweer, is a private residential community and resort that will include the world's first golf course designed by Tiger Woods – Al Ruwaya.

Embodying Tiger Woods' vision of creating a spectacular, challenging golf course, Al Ruwaya, will be a 7,800 yard, par 72, 18 hole championship course with dramatic elevation changes, lush landscaping, stunning water features and an overall design that will challenge and entertain golfers of all playing abilities. Luxurious residential and hospitality components will include 197 residences, a boutique hotel, a well-being spa, a fine dining restaurant, a professionally staffed golf academy, and the Al Ruwaya clubhouse.

A truly exclusive address, this private golfing community is scheduled for completion in September 2009. It will occupy an area of 55 million sq ft in Dubailand off Al Hibab Road; a 30 minute drive from Dubai's city center and the Dubai International Airport.

About Tatweer:
Launched in December 2005 Tatweer is one the region's most promising enterprises and a Member of Dubai Holding. It owns nine market-leading companies and managing an ambitious business development plan.

Its current portfolio is divided into Energy & Healthcare, Tourism & Entertainment, Industry & Knowledge. Its entities are Dubai Healthcare City, the region's hub for world-class quality healthcare services; Mizin, one of the most advanced real estate companies in the region; "The Tiger Woods - Dubai" an exclusive golf community that will include a Tiger Woods designed Golf Course; Dubailand, one of the biggest leisure, entertainment and tourism destinations in the Middle East region; Dubai Industrial City, an industrial township to develop Dubai as a leading manufacturing hub; Bawadi, the world's leading hospitality and entertainment project bringing 31 hotels and more than 29,000 hotel rooms; Dubai Energy, investing in regional and global energy opportunities and building a diversified investment portfolio; Dubai Mercantile Exchange, the first commodity futures exchange in the Middle East; Global Village, which brings together 160 different countries showcasing myriad cultures; and Moutamarat, the first Arab initiative organizing research-based conferences and exhibitions.

A Member of Dubai Holding, Tatweer and its entities will continue to consolidate a group of life-improving industries. In addition, it has pioneered the market with joint venture initiatives with leading companies such as the New York Mercantile Exchange or the Saudi Research and Publishing Company.

Tatweer will continuously strive for world-class performance implementing leadership development to drive and sustain business excellence, quality and high performance.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 10:37:18 AM »
Captain Kirk

You should have seen what they said on KKA (KolvenKlubAmsterdam.co.ne) in the 1500's when the Scots started playing the gowf on grass!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back