News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Updated Woking profile is posted
« on: November 28, 2007, 10:16:58 AM »
...under Courses by Country and Architecture Timeline.

Most people, at least vaguely, understand the huge role that Woking played in the evolution of golf course architecture. At the turn of the twentieth century, man was a complete chump in an inland setting at a) adding strategy and b) making man-made features look natural. That started to change with Sunningdale, Walton Heath, etc. in the early 1900’s but Woking preceded these courses. Tom Dunn’s 1893 routing was good but what makes Woking so special is the work carried out by member Stuart Paton, who joined the club in the mid 1890s and was still on the Committee one month before his death in January, 1946. To my mind, the changes he made to the course over that period are without doubt at the forefront of golf course architecture and directly helped lead to the Golden Age. For instance, the bunkers that he added to the fourth fairway in 1901 are to me as influential as any man has ever built, certainly on an inland course.

Though its history is nearly unmatched by other inland courses, Woking is FAR from a relic. Trees are down, heather is up and tees are back. By that, I mean an intelligent tree clearing program has greatly stimulated the return of heather. In addition, the course has picked up over 200 yards in length in the past two years. Measuring nearly 6,600 yards against a par of 70, Woking is still quite a test. For example, Martin Ebert added a new tee back at the third. At 445 yards, golfers can no longer carry the ball past the shoulder of the hill. Forget having a short iron in; the golfer is hitting in a club consistent with how the hole played in Paton’s day with the green surrounds once again playing a crucial role. I take particular delight when leadership clubs of days gone by once again step to the front – the work being done at Woking is as good as anywhere in the United Kingdom and the message being sent from Woking is once again a great one.

Two matches of great import have taken place here. First, the Moles beat the US Walker Cup including Bob Jones, Francis Ouimet and Jesse Sweetser here in 1926. The other big match wasn’t when the Walker Cup beat the Moles in 1923 here but rather in the fall of this year. Anxious to avenge the loss that Jones sustained, a young curator from Southern Pines set off across the ocean to right that wrong. His evil opponent was Philip Gawith, the delightful South African who is actually hard to hate other than in this context. Any way, after being consistently out driven by upwards of sixty yards  :-[ on the front nine, the match player extraordinaire went to work. After topping his tee shot on ten  :-\, his calm, cool up and down set the stage for a heroic back nine. Reeling, the South African tried counter-punching here and there but my steady barrage of bogeys and a few pars was too much. After shaking hands on the seventeenth, a huge roar erupted from the clubhouse. Modestly, I turned and bowed.

Later, Philip explained the roar was because England just defeated the Aussies in rugby. He can believe what he wants – I still think word quickly percolated back to the clubhouse of the great deed that had just unfolded. Great courses do indeed produce great champions….

Cheers,
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 10:17:56 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Pete Lavallee

Re:Updated Woking profile is posted
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 11:31:30 AM »
Although my wife is English, prior to Golf Club Atlas, the most prestigious course I had played was Nicklaus's St. Mellion's. :'(

Several years ago we played 12 courses in 3 weeks and kicked off the tour with Woking. This was completely due to Ran's profile which peaked my interest in the course. Certainly we were very impressed and had a wonderful day there; even though we had to have our liquid refreshments on the veranda, no women allowed in the Club House (other than the Ladies TV room).

After only one trip around the course I can still remember every hole to this day; truely a good thing! I can still recall that the wave like action on the 13th green was so severe that there was evidence of scalping from the green's mower. :o

The bottom line here is that aside from Tom Doak's Confidential Guide there is no other resourse that would steer willing golfers to such shrines as Woking, and for this I am eternally grateful to Ran and GCA for opening my eyes to the fantastic examples of architecture out there just waiting to be explored. Thanks again Ran!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 11:32:34 AM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Noel Freeman

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 01:44:12 PM »
Ran this is a superior review.  I have not been to Woking since the trees have come down but it looks much improved.  I always thought the greens were the key to the course as I think they may be the most challenging of the heathlands I've seen.  Their locations are the greatest attribute of the routing.  Obviously, the locations of the hazards and the strategic bunkering are the takeaways many will leave with, but I don't think anyone can overlook the putting surfaces.

One of my favorite things about Woking is that you can drive the green at the first with 3-wood, take a birdie, easily bogey the 2nd with long iron, ponder the mystery of where to hit your approach over the bunker on #3 and block one right on the Southwest railway line on the 4th and be +4 despite having played four relatively easy holes on the card.

The 9th hole is the only one I don't enjoy playing with its sharp swing uphill left.  I believe it was altered from its early days.

My first time at Woking, Jim Reilly and I play a spirited match (unlike the times I've whupped you) with Russell Talley and the lovely Danish golf architect Line Mortensen in tow.  I believe the greens were lighting slick that summer and while Jim is one of the best putters around, he needed only to two putt from 30 feet on #7 (which is as contoured a green as they have at Woking)..

Well Jim left it 8 feet short on fast greens.. Line for a Danish woman is quite direct, she's almost scottish in her bullet like delivery to shoot down a man.  Well Line looked at Jimmy and shook her head and uttered one word--- "Pus*y!".

Russell Talley near died from laughter.  Jim went on to lose to me, just like you amigo.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 02:47:55 PM »
Ran
thanks much for the profile, and for that post too.

You know, taken as a group the "British inland courses" seem to me just about the prettiest and most comfortable-looking courses of all. This includes Sunningdale, Woking, Walton Heath etc, but also all those lesser-known courses that Philip and Sean post pictures of -- everyone of them looks natural and site-natural and 'fitting' and 'quiet'.  And the way they use (or don't use) bunkers is very appealing too. It's what I now think of when I think of GREAT members courses.

Thanks again
Peter

Tom Dunne

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 03:11:12 PM »
Tom Dunn deserves more credit in general. For one, he easily has the best photo in Cornish & Whitten's "Architects of Golf". Check it out if you don't believe me! ;)

Fantastic review, Ran. It's great to see you re-visiting some of the reviews from the early days of the site--your new insights (and photos) add another dimension to the profile of Woking. It's a nice reminder to return to favorite courses now and then to see what the passage of time and some additional perspective can yield! I really hope to see this course someday.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 06:35:41 PM »
Tom, GMBF is just like your typical playground bully - with the whiff of victory in his nostrils, he is charm itself, full of insight into the course. But you should ask yourself this: where is the review on Royal St George's? Because he had his *ss kicked, he has got writer's block. Pitiful!

Noel Freeman

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 09:01:51 AM »
How has this thread dipped to page 2??

One has to ask the question on whether  Woking should actually start on the 15th hole instead of the current drivable 1st.  It would do wonders---break up the back to back par 5s, end on a terrific hole by the clubhouse (14th), break up the 2-4th holes which are the bones of the course into the end of the front 9 which will give the player ample time to warm up and play...

I have played this configuration twice and find it superior.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 09:10:30 AM »
Well, its about time! Ran has been "woking" on this for a long time....... ;)
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 10:31:58 AM »
How has this thread dipped to page 2??

One has to ask the question on whether  Woking should actually start on the 15th hole instead of the current drivable 1st.  It would do wonders---break up the back to back par 5s, end on a terrific hole by the clubhouse (14th), break up the 2-4th holes which are the bones of the course into the end of the front 9 which will give the player ample time to warm up and play...

I have played this configuration twice and find it superior.

Tuco

I have wondered this myself.  15 seems the natural place to start.  The only thing I can think is that the club wanted a mini loop for members to hop on.  Watching the guys come down the 14th is easily done while bending the elbow on the veranda.  A break occurs and yer off.  For the likes of me the idea is not without merit.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 10:33:55 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Richard Pennell

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 03:59:01 PM »
Ran, like many of the people who will look at this post and have it bring back happy memories, I am so grateful for having read the original and played such a special and important golf course. Cheers. These photos are great, too - how come none of mine catch the key stuff so well?

The 9th hole is the only one I don't enjoy playing with its sharp swing uphill left.  I believe it was altered from its early days.

Noel, great story. I actually quite like the 9th though. Tough tee-shot I know but it looks great and I like the green perched at the top of the hill, with the ground falling away to the right. I was surprised Ran didn't mention it, but then there is so much else of value at Woking. Anyone else have a view on the 9th?

Sean - I loved the image of you relaxing and bending the elbow while the others struggle down 14. Your suggestion was certainly not without merit ;)
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 06:19:31 PM »
For instance, the bunkers that he added to the fourth fairway in 1901 are to me as influential as any man has ever built, certainly on an inland course.

Any sources for that date? I believe it was in 1900.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Philip Gawith

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 03:10:35 PM »
here is Ran in learned discussion with the club historian - standing on the 9th green.

Noel Freeman

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 04:28:41 PM »
Is it me or does anyone else see a similar physique on GMBF as we see on Phil Mickelson. From the waist up of course.. :-X

Philip Gawith

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 05:01:36 PM »
I think it's the shirt Noel - maybe he needs to start wearing J. Lindebergh kit just to avoid further misunderstanding !

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 05:47:41 PM »
For instance, the bunkers that he added to the fourth fairway in 1901 are to me as influential as any man has ever built, certainly on an inland course.

Any sources for that date? I believe it was in 1900.

Ulrich

Ulrich where do you get the year 1900 from?   I always thought it was more like 1904 but I’ve got no idea where that idea came from.  Perhaps Philip gave us a clue.

here is Ran in learned discussion with the club historian - standing on the 9th green.

Ran I do hope you’ll share what you learnt about the evolution of those changes.

(“Giuseppe Verdi is dead!” Anyone?)  
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back