News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ari Techner

Pacific Golf & CC San Clemente CA Info?
« on: October 17, 2007, 04:01:01 AM »
One of my good friends is joining Pacific Golf and CC in San Clemente CA.  He has not played the course yet but it is very near where he works and joining will save him his daily commute back to the LA area in traffic and allow him to play golf and drive back home after rush hour.  Definite win win situation.  
I have been trying to find some information about the course and there is very little info and really no pics online.  A search on the forum also yielded nothing.  All I know is they have 3 Gary Player designed "Links" 9s that are supposed to pay tribute to the 3 courses he won his Open Championships on.
Has anyone played at PGCC?  What is the course like?  Is it anything close to a Links?  
I will be down there sometime soon and will get to play out there so I will report back then with my thoughts.  

Rich Goodale

Re:Pacific Golf & CC San Clemente CA Info?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 04:49:11 AM »
Ari

I played there several times (including two member guests) in the late 80's/early 90's.  It is fairly typical California Canyon golf--lots of elevation changes, lots of places to go off the fairway and get bitten by a rattlesnake or mauled by a mother lynx protecting her cubs.  Nobody would ever mistake it (or any of its holes) for links golf, even though GP did name the 3 nines in honor of his open victories.  If you are a GP far, BTW, there is (or was) some good memorabilia of the wee man in the clubhouse.

That being said, if you take it for what it is (canyon golf) rather than for what it is not (links, replica/tribute holes) it is (or was--last play was in 1991) a well designed, enjoyable golf course, with lots of variety and lots of interesting holes.  Lots of roll on the ground, at least on the fairways.  If you don't like course which include some severely up and down hill holes and/or like to walk, fuggedaboutit.  It's pure cartball, but good cartball.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 10:27:38 AM »
I was a member there for 7 years, departing 6 months ago for "improved" pastures. I always enjoyed playing there, but the club's been in BK for the last 3 years. The re-org plan is simply terrible, which was one of my reasons for leaving.

Earlier in 2007, the planning commission turned down the re-zoning, so the club was going to cease operations at the end of June. Then the city council overturned the ruling, the citizens petitioned, so the city of San Clemente will now be voting on the rezoning in February. If that does not go thru, I'd expect someone to buy it on the cheap and do something with the course.

A couple of comments:

1) Never, ever, ever mention this course on GCA.com again.
2) It is neither a links, nor links inspired, nor should be mentioned in the same thread with a links. The course does play firm over bermuda set on an awful clay base with Poa greens that get slower every year.
3) Of the 27 holes, about 1/2 of them were decent and the other 1/2 were awful. There are virtually no strategic decisions to be made throughout the 27 holes.
4) The course plays very difficult from the tips with the prevailing wind. There are only a couple of water hazards with the balance of the course playing thru the green.....so most hacks show up and shoot 10-15 shots above their average score.
5) The course has been turfed in a fair bit since RFG played there to speed up play and ease things up a bit.
6) During the week it might have the best pace of play on Earth.

Having said all that, your friend is making a good decision. With the current month-month membership, and the pace of play there, he'll be happy and become a better player.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tony Petersen

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 05:43:19 PM »
I might be moving to San Clemente here in the next year for work (lateral move to new offices from AZ to CA) and I have had a blast the few times I've played San Clemente Golf Club. True, it's a muni and the conditions are on par with most muni's, but it's a fun course with alot of really fun holes and a great membership. It won't be mistaken for LACC North or Riviera anytime soon, but it sounds like your buddy might have a bette time buying a pass at SCGC rather than looping thru the canyons above San Clemente? ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 07:22:51 PM »
I might be moving to San Clemente here in the next year for work (lateral move to new offices from AZ to CA) and I have had a blast the few times I've played San Clemente Golf Club. True, it's a muni and the conditions are on par with most muni's, but it's a fun course with alot of really fun holes and a great membership. It won't be mistaken for LACC North or Riviera anytime soon, but it sounds like your buddy might have a bette time buying a pass at SCGC rather than looping thru the canyons above San Clemente? ;)

Tony, I couldn't agree more. SC would probably be as close to what I consider my home course than any other. I would much rather play there day in and day out. PGCC is very tough and does not tolerate marginal shots in the least. But I will concede Jon's point, playing there WILL make you a better player. I know, Jon's a gun and I'm sure playing there had something to do with that fact. I could see how SC could get a little easy playing it day in and day out compared to PGCC. And PGCC does offer 27 holes. I just have a soft spot for SC so I'm a little biased.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 07:44:51 PM »
SC Muni is certainly a better course, and a great value. But.....remember this guy is living in LA and won't get the good guy discount. There's no such thing as a quick 9 at SC. One has to battle the locals (kids for $1, adults ~ $5 @ twilight).

So you'd have to wait to play a 2.5 hour 9-hole round, where at PGC you'd be done with 18 and on the way back to LA :'(.

DS; a couple of courses last week turned this hombre into a malfunctioning water weinie in lieu of the squirt gun you're accustomed to.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 07:49:47 PM »

DS; a couple of courses last week turned this hombre into a malfunctioning water weinie in lieu of the squirt gun you're accustomed to.

I know better, I'll chalk that up to an anamoly considering the courses you played, especially one in particular that I very much envied you playing. ;)

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 01:33:31 AM »
Ari,

I also have a friend who was a member their for a season, but has moved on now. He'll be coming to Bandon in Feb. with our group. IM me if you want to ask him some email questions.

Funny story...
My one and only time playing there was shortly after it opened and we played after a deluge the week before. A lot of the turf looked like huge green rumpled and wrinkled blankets as they sod slid down a number of the slopes after the rains. It looked like a nightmare to fix.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back