News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Colorado Golf Association Mira Vista project
« on: January 22, 2007, 04:55:21 PM »
I've started a separate thread here because I did not intend to hijack the other "minimalist" thread.

To answer Doug's question, the association hopes to start rebuilding the course in the fall of '07, if everything works out.  The money is in place, but there may be some red tape relating to the former Air Force Base.

We are not likely to expand the course to the "extra" ground because there are contaminated soils issues on some of that land.  And there's really plenty of ground at Mira Vista as it sits for a good 18 holes and some form of short course to boot.

Doug, you are right, the soils are not good there so our $4 million won't go as far as it did in Holyoke, but we hope to create something fun and interesting with maybe 40 bunkers and a really good set of greens.

Doug Wright

Re:Colorado Golf Association Mira Vista project
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 05:44:44 PM »
I've started a separate thread here because I did not intend to hijack the other "minimalist" thread.

To answer Doug's question, the association hopes to start rebuilding the course in the fall of '07, if everything works out.  The money is in place, but there may be some red tape relating to the former Air Force Base.

We are not likely to expand the course to the "extra" ground because there are contaminated soils issues on some of that land.  And there's really plenty of ground at Mira Vista as it sits for a good 18 holes and some form of short course to boot.

Doug, you are right, the soils are not good there so our $4 million won't go as far as it did in Holyoke, but we hope to create something fun and interesting with maybe 40 bunkers and a really good set of greens.

Thanks Tom. There is quite a bit of room there already, surprisingly so for a muny (though perhaps less surprising for a former Air Force course built for a few flyboy colonels). FYI Dwight D. Eisenhower used to hang out at Lowry GC during the summers.

Pretty flat terrain overall. Why do visions of Riviera #10 flash in my mind re this project? I assume Jim U is still in the area and you can save on his travel expenses...
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 06:38:35 PM »
Doug:

Jim Urbina and Eric Iverson both live in Denver ... but both have other current assignments, so they are likely to "assist" rather than lead on this project.

I'd love to do the tenth hole at Riviera, but that will be tough if we intend to accommodate 50,000 rounds, as they do at Mira Vista.

Doug Wright

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 06:52:52 PM »
Tom,

You'll need a new name for the course when you're done. Mira Vista just doesn't cut it for a "new and improved" course.

How about "The Links at Lowry"?
"Happy Trails GC"?
"GCA @ CGA GC"?
"Aurora Borealis GC"? (Since we're sure the course will be out of this world...) ;)

And Lloyd Cole definitely should come out and play the grand opening round and event!
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tim Pitner

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 07:05:33 PM »
Tom,

You'll need a new name for the course when you're done. Mira Vista just doesn't cut it for a "new and improved" course.

Doug, I agree, a new name is definitely needed.  

"Mira Vista" has a connotation in Denver golf circles that isn't very positive.  Plus, to me, the name conjures up the thought of rather unsatisfying Mexican food served in a less than sanitary environment (and, for the record, I love Mexican food).  
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:08:50 PM by Tim Pitner »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 07:17:39 PM »
Name it after a Lloyd Cole song....."My Bag"...... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jason McNamara

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 11:28:17 PM »
Why not call it the Castle Course?     ::)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 11:28:46 PM by Jason McNamara »

billb

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 01:27:13 AM »
10 years ago I played Mira Vista frequently... at the time I thought it was a pretty good golf course. This was before I began lurking on GCA and learned a bit about golf course architecture. Oh yeah, the trips to the links of Scotland and Ireland helped too.

I just found out the course will close on Sept. 5 for the Tom Doak rebuild. Yesterday I went and played it. Yes, it certainly does need a rebuild, I will spare the details.

When we finished, I told my playing partners "this course needs to be bulldozed and rebuilt." How often does that come true?  ;D

The new routing looks excellent, there is a drawing in the clubhouse and poles up all over the place showing the new major features. Kinda confusing, but it looks like none of the old greens will be used.

The ground is very, very hard, the waste areas are very, very nasty, and there are a few stands of big old trees.

It looks like new ponds will be built and the old ones filled in. Hopefully that will help with the mosquito breeding grounds. Here in Colorado we don't deal well with the little buggers.

Good luck Tom Doak. We are very glad to have you building a muni golf course for us here in Denver!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 11:38:44 AM »
I honestly can't wait for this project.  When is the projected opening of the new course?  

Tom D,

As the Chairman from Iron Chef America would ask, what is the inspiration for the course?

Bill,

Glad to see another Denver GCAer.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back