News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BigEdSC

Re:US Women's Open
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 10:34:34 AM »
I got to take my hat off for Christie Kerr.  She went out and played pretty well and won a tough tournament.  It's pretty neat to ba able to sit in your chair at home and watch a tournament on a course that hosted an important GCA Major, the Dixie Cup II.  

Got to see Kristie up close when I worked the scorer's tent at the Ginn Tribute.  She seemed down to earth and after she signed her score card, she sat with us for a couple of minutes.  She had a great attitude and afterward, went out and signed a bunch of autographs for the kids that hung out outside the scoring tent.

But as touched on earlier, the biggest complaint was the slow play.  At the Tribute, they played in threes, and it took them 6 hours to play.

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 02:31:27 PM »

What about Johnny Miller's comment that he didn't like bunkers on the corner of a dogleg.

I caught that, too, but more because he went on believing it was "rare" and something he "can't really recall ever seeing." Kind of unbelievable, even for him. I guess you could put me in the group that's never been a fan of his analysis.

I may be off on some parts of this, but I thought I heard Dan Hicks talk about raising the greens as part of Fought's restoration as well as commenting on the "signature Ross humpback greens."  Weren't the greens actually lowered from all the topdress/overseed buildup?

I'm off to play the rest of the day at Franklin Hills, a Ross creation where a majority of the greens are not crowned and layed flush with the surrounds.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Mike Hendren

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 02:36:48 PM »
Sean,

Trees penalize the mis-directed shot.  Bunkers penalize the mis-judged shot.  The bunker tempts, the trees block.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

George Pazin

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 02:41:33 PM »
Such simple brilliance from Bogey.

I may be off on some parts of this, but I thought I heard Dan Hicks talk about raising the greens as part of Fought's restoration as well as commenting on the "signature Ross humpback greens."  Weren't the greens actually lowered from all the topdress/overseed buildup?

I'm off to play the rest of the day at Franklin Hills, a Ross creation where a majority of the greens are not crowned and layed flush with the surrounds.

You're certainly not the only one to believe this, and I think there's plenty of discussion of it in the archives. I'd guess most of it was around the time of the 2005 U S Open.

Welcome to the site, I didn't see you first post, but your second is pretty damn thoughtful.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Phil Benedict

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 02:51:13 PM »
It was kind of an interesting coincidence that the Buick was Bateman's first tour win.  CBS listed the other first-time Buick winners, which happened to include John Fought in 1979.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 02:51:45 PM by Phil Benedict »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 03:01:43 PM »
It was kind of an interesting coincidence that the Buick was Bateman's first tour win.  CBS listed the other first-time Buick winners, which happened to include John Fought in 1979.

Bateman? Who's she?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back