News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Kennedy

A few good men for 4th of July Golf in Chicago?
« on: July 03, 2007, 09:14:10 PM »
Illinois GCAers-
This is a long shot, but Shivas Schmidt and I are looking for a two people to round out a foursome tomorrow morning at 7:40a at Winnetka GC in suburban Chicago.

For a public track that has been revised and re-revised, Winnetka has retained several cool throwback-style greens, including the first, third, tenth, and fifteenth (!).  They are planning on redoing the bunkers, removing some trees (not enough), and redoing the tees this fall.

PM Shivas or me if you're game....

Mike

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re:A few good men for 4th of July Golf in Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 02:45:30 AM »
I like your spirit of how to celebrate the 4th of July Shivas my man. I am in the land of your name sake doing zen for the 4th. lol

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 06:44:27 AM »
Whomever is playing with Shivas I DO hope you are prepared to align the mark on your golf ball for the purpose of indicating the line for putting.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 08:31:18 AM »
Shivas, I didn't want to have to tell you this but there is one undeniable secret to putting well and that is to have a very good friendship and working knowedge of Peter Pythagoras, a golf architect from the 6th century BC. To truly understand Peter P one pretty much needs a string or straight shaft or some other type of straight LINE!   ;)

Peter P wasn't much of a golfer but his basic theory was vastly improved in putting in the 1950s by that controversially old fruit growing Louisiana redneck Plumb Bob Beauchamp.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 08:43:09 AM by TEPaul »

Dan Moore

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 11:27:19 AM »
Just saw this message.  Hope the back nine is going well.

Just returned from Arizona last night.  I think my irons will need a few days to cool off and return to normal temperatures.  117 down there today.  Happy 4th.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 02:23:15 PM »
Shivas and Mike,

I'm sorry I missed the round, just saw this post now. How was the round?

I spent many hours out on Winnetka playing matches against New Trier back in High School. I can honestly say that it took me a long time to learn to not hit driver on every hole there.

Have a good 4th of July.

Pat
H.P.S.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 02:44:39 PM »
We had a really nice time.....

You're all washed up, Dave. You're a really nice guy who goes golfing with other really nice guys and have a really nice time.....

Think back to college.....is that was what you wanted to say to paint an image of yourself back then?..... ;D...it just sounds so...so...well, you know....

Really, I'm glad you fellas had a really nice time...golly, I wish I was there too. I think we need to arrange a GCA.com camping and canoeing excursion to regain some of our youthful adventurousness though!

;D

Joe

p.s. I mowed fairways in the rain this morning...it was so reaffirming........
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 07:00:54 PM »
Joe Hancock, you're too much, you really are. If I wake up in the middle of the night I might start laughing all over again over post #9.

Eric_Terhorst

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 12:27:39 AM »
We had a really nice time.....

Joe, what he really wanted to say was "I thought I had putting problems until I met Terhorst."  and "Playing with Kennedy is eating me alive.  How can I steal his golf swing?" ;D

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 02:02:29 AM »
4th of July in Chicago......

It's probably a lot better then the 4th of July here in North Mexico. However, we are the king, and I mean KING of illegal fireworks. Tonight was no exception. It reminded me of those CNN videos on the bombing of Baghdad.

Hope the golf was good.

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 08:38:10 AM »
"However, we are the king, and I mean KING of illegal fireworks. Tonight was no exception. It reminded me of those CNN videos on the bombing of Baghdad."

Ah Yes, the good old "duality" of the historic American Ethos!

We blow things up (and glorify it and pat ourselves on the back) in the name of taming, saving and civilizing them. Obviously this includes blowing up various peoples, their countries and cultures, not to mention Nature itself----that wild, hostile albeit majestic country out there can be quite threatening to civilization, not to mention business, you know.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 08:39:18 AM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back