News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Bald Head Island Club
« on: April 03, 2007, 10:27:59 PM »
Where to begin.  I experienced the high of North Carolina golf with Old Town and I can only describe Bald Head as the low point.  This is one of the least imaginative courses I have encountered in quite some time.  Plenty of water right and left and bunkering near the greens right and left.  There were a few decent holes, but not enough to redeem this course.  How Golf Digest could ever think highly of this course is beyond me.

Some pix of some of the better holes.

The 8th

Approach to #9.

I think this is the tee shot for #13.  There is water lurking up on the right.  The course is filled with water lurking in hidden spots - not my bag.

Approach to #13.

Approach to #17.

I didn't know what to expect before playing Bald Head, but what I saw was a big disappointment.  The place has no charm at all.  Needless to say I shant return and Bald Head has taken over the last place spot from Duke in Carolina golf for me.  I give it a 4.4 on the SRA Scale.  Its golf, but not in the least inspiring.

Next stops are Southern Pines and The Road.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 10:29:22 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Andy Hughes

Re:Bald Head Island Club
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 09:57:51 AM »
Sean, well, you have saved me from a future error. I almost thought about Bald Head as a potential course for our Myrtle Beach trip, but its location would have been unworkable (too far north).  The pics I had seen made it look almost a tad linksy.

I am surprised the course is so dull...its a George Cobb, no? He has two courses here in D.C. area that I think are under-rated, with some interesting holes.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 12:52:11 PM »
Sean,

Perhaps you didn't read my posts on Bald Head Island, or you would have approached the course with lower expectations! You have to like the island itself though...

"Last year I started a thread about George Cobb and Bald Head Island as I planned to visit there. That thread is here:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1533;start=msg29940#msg29940 "

I did visit and played the course once. The course is nicely routed as it winds through the native areas on this beautiful island (where, as mentioned, cars are not allowed) and has a number of solid holes such as the par 4 9th, the par 5 11th, the par 3 16th  and the par 4  18th but there are a number of holes in the forested area of the course that are totally unmemorable. Ditto the bunkering and greens, which are large, flattish and boring.  The course could be quite difficult when it's windy there as it often is, but I wasn't clamoring to leave the beach to play it again after my round there.  Sort of a white bread '60s course in my opinion. "

"Gents,

I only played it once, but I didn't walk off Bald Head Island GC saying "that's a great golf course!" I guess one person's ode to minimalism is another person's boredom....  Still a wonderful island and vacation spot.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=25561;start=msg475860#msg475860 "
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 12:53:06 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 01:21:13 PM »
Sean,

Are you playing Tot Hill Farm GC?

When in the Winston Salem area, did you happen to swing buy and play a course called Olde Beau GC in Roaring Gap?

Thanks,
Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back