News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

Re:Golf near Russellville/Bowling Green, Kentucky?
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2007, 08:19:13 PM »
Chris;

#4 does have somewhat of a bail out on the second shot. It must certainly be long, but if you hit left of the lower fairway on the side of that hill [anything right of the cartpath, pretty much], it will feed back into the fairway, as they mostly keep it cut down there.

Admittedly though, it does require two consecutive excellent shots. But the reward is a wedge to a long narrow green that feeds down to the catch area in the back if you hit too far, with the stream right all the way down. Hmm, come to think of it, it takes three consecutive excellent shots to par this hole. My nominee for 'toughest par-5 in golf'.

But, as Patton would say, "God help me I do love it so". The sequence from #3 to #8 is as tough a series of holes as any serious golfer could wish, containing two great par-5s, two pretty par-3s, and a couple of tough par-4s. Ain't this a sweet course?

Doug

John Mayhugh

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2007, 09:27:35 PM »
Rolling Hills is a pretty short 18 hole course in Russellville.  It's not the kind of course you would make a destination, but there are several intersting holes and your 8 year old son would certainly feel welcome there.  

I live in Louisville but one of my good friends is in Bowling Green.  We've played at Rolling Hills quite a few times.  I've yet to make it out to Olde Stone but hope to sometime later this year.  It's an Arthur Hills course that's only been open for a year.

Within a reasonable driving distance, The Legacy in Springfield TN is probably your best bet.  It's a scenic Ray Floyd course that is generally well maintained.  Only about 25 miles away.

One other course worth considering would be Cole Park.  It's a military course at Fort Campbell. It's about 40 miles away.  I think Larry Packard gets design credit.  There are several really good holes and I would think this is a better choice than the public options in Bowling Green or Hopkinsville.

Feel free to message me if would like any more info.  

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2007, 10:02:58 PM »
Rolling Hills is decent, we used to play there quite often while in school.  Its been a while but I think you son would enjoy it.  I dont know how far Dale Hollow is but from what Ive heard its one of the top courses in the state.  

Doug Ralston

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2007, 11:31:17 PM »
Get a road atlas or a map of Kentucky, look at KY/TN line between I-65 & I-75. See Dale Hollow Lake? That Park and it's golf course are there! Not hard to find. Also know as perhaps the best smallmouth bass fishing lake anywhere.

Go there! Enjoy!

Doug

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2007, 10:21:35 AM »
Many thanks once again to one and all for the info - it would seem I do have a plethora of choices.

That is, if this were a golf trip.   :'(

Discussion of activities for said trip occurred over the weekend and well... let's just say if golf occurs, I have to bring along my 8 year old, and it better be quick.

So we shall see what's what in the way of courses an 8 year old can handle.  I'm thinking the time might be better spent at Mammoth Caves, Lincoln's birthplace, Grand Ole Opry, etc.  That is when we are allowed to diverge from the plan of spending all day each day with great grand-ma.

Oh well... JK, at least this way, all you'll have are your taxes to "enjoy."

;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2007, 10:33:17 AM »
I just got back to a land based system and see that Bowling Green is only 100 miles away from VN..You gotta love the shape of the Broward County, FL Medical Examinar's head...It looks like a Doak green, but I digress.

Huck, If the weather is nice and the course is firm I could put up with your kid for a quick round.   With our rain patterns around here I just couldn't deal with both a wet course and a kid...Keep in touch.  Tell your wife that I like her boots.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2007, 10:40:20 AM »
JK:

Much of that went way over my head.  My wife's boots?  

In any case, thanks for the offer, but the point remains we can't be gone all day.  The law was set down - if golf happens, it's close, it's with my son, and it takes a few hours max - including travel time.

Oh well.....

« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:40:56 AM by Tom Huckaby »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2007, 10:58:06 AM »

This time we're there from Sun-Fri (4/8-13) and that's a lot of days.  I'm sure I'll be allowed at least one morning or afternoon to play golf.

I live in a small town and doubt that I have spent that many consectutive days without leaving.  After the first day and a half and you all start to go insane give me a call.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2007, 11:16:30 AM »
JK - methinks we're on the same wavelength.  My wife just won't acknowledge this just yet.  Perhaps there is more hope for golf.  But there is no hope for pre-planned golf.

;)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2007, 11:20:07 AM »
You should try to sell some of the sightseeing aspects of a family trip to Evansville & Henderson.  Then slyly arrange to be dropped off at Victoria National for a few hours while your wife and son check out things like Angel Mounds.

I've not been fortunate enough to play Victoria National, but from what I've heard it's worth getting creative to get out there.  That's especially so when you're normally so far away.

If you remain limited to golf in Russellville, you and your son can have fun at Rolling Hills.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2007, 11:28:31 AM »
John M. - all very sage counsel - many thanks.

Solo golf, however, well... that's gonna be a tough one.  There's an 11 year old daugther and another son (infant) to account for, as well as a mother in law tagging along. We shall see what we shall see.

;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back