News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lloyd_Cole

1955 - The Beginning of the End?
« on: March 25, 2007, 01:24:43 PM »
From 'The Best of Henry Longhurst'  relating his experience at the 1955 Ryder Cup at Thunderbird -

'What Impressed me most, was .. a single local rule. "Players on foot have no standing on the course."
Now, I thought, I have seen everything.'

Tom_Doak

Re:1955 - The Beginning of the End?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 05:21:39 PM »
Lloyd:

Palm Springs has always been a wee bit different.

A couple of weeks ago a writer from out there called to interview me about Stone Eagle.  The first question was what was it like to design the only golf course in the Palm Desert region without homes surrounding the course?  I'm not sure if that is a fact or not, but I had never thought about how few courses there are designed for golf first.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 06:37:16 PM »
I believe 1955 was also the last year the USGA allowed clubs to set up the golf courses.  Olympic Club grew the rough about 3 feet and the USGA said enough is enough.

Tom Doak:  Amazing that there are no other golf courses without homes?  Does Plantation have homes?

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 08:01:29 PM »
No, The Plantation has no housing at all.

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 09:04:56 PM »
Palm Springs is one those places that makes me want to paraphrase Heidegger's old question:

Why is there something there and not nothing?

Bob

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 05:17:46 AM »
Mr. Pulled Pork Sandwich,
I was out there yesterday, looking at some of the most natural GREAT golfing ground one could ever imagine. It's there, unfortuantely because the bastards didn't know how to create, and did nothing except build mammoth gate-guarded housing developments with some of the most mundane golf, good money could ever be wasted on.

The Bureau of Land Management decided the best dunes in the desert (The Coachella Valley Nature Preserve) was best to be protected, and I can't blame them. Horray, thankfully, in this case nature was preserved. We win. Fortunately it is land that can be looked upon in the future--after the next ice age wipes everything out--as proof of what once existed here and how this age got it all so screwed up in a reasonble blink of an eye.
;)

The saddest part of all-this wonderful land perfectly suited for golf with an aquifer more then attiquite enough to feed the 200+ golf courses that exist there,  (a count that is always growing year after year) once contained a landscape so perfect for golf--in terms of creating naturally strategic golf that could have driven the Sport into a stratosphere higher then we could ever dream of--it was that good.....

This is pretty much all that is left--the last look at what was once the Coachella Valley:

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 06:27:00 AM »
Tommy

"Natural" golfing ground without any water?  Give us a break!

RFarnsworth

BCrosby

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 06:51:04 AM »
Tommy -

First, Bulah (sp) is asking about you. Her grits don't have the same zip since you left.

Second, I have this East coast thing about building golf courses in places where grass doesn't grow naturally. Though I understand the economic motives at play.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 08:07:43 AM by BCrosby »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 01:37:08 PM »
RFG,
Sounds like you need to read up on the history of the Coachella Valley...

Bob,
If that were the case, then there wouldn't be a Sand Hills....Tell Bulah(sp) STOP ADDING THE SUGAR! (No self-respecting Southener adds sugar to his grits!)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back