News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

The Links Club
« on: March 01, 2007, 11:38:04 AM »
(From a link on another thread - thanks) I just came across a very interesting blog on C.B. Macdonald's Links Club, in Manhattan.

Check it out:
http://top100golf.blogspot.com/
jeffmingay.com

Philippe Binette

Re:The Links Club
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 11:44:46 AM »
interesting stuff Jeff,

it could be fun to start something like that somewhere, especially in Montreal...

a place to have a drink, a bunch of golf books and enough room to hold a putting contest...

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 11:59:35 AM »
Philippe,

Maybe we can convince Zokol and his partner, Terry Donald, to do it in Vancouver:

The Sagebrush Club, downtown, where golfing members of Sagebrush Golf and Sporting Club can meet in the city.

Driving time from Sagebrush to Vancouver is comparable to the drive from Manhattan out to National Golf Links of America.

Interesting idea.
jeffmingay.com

Mike Phelan

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 01:42:19 PM »
Wow, I just spent two hours skimming that whole blog at work ......thanks for the link!;D

Philippe Binette

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 02:12:35 PM »
Jeff, that sounds fun

I realised that a club doesn't need a course at St Andrews where there's 7 clubs with playing rights on the old course and none of these clubs possess a course.

The club is more a place to have a meal and drink after the round.

I could imagine a group of 30 - 40 people having an address in the city to meet and talk golf and negociate playing rights with a course.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 02:33:04 PM »
I visited there Jeff a few years ago. It is quite an atmospheric place but the link you are referring to does a much better job describing it than I can. Mike Sweeney mentioned its existence to me and I contacted the club, said I was keen to have a look, and they were quite gracious and open to a visitor.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 03:53:51 PM »
This does look really neat.

Philip,

How did you contact the club? I am in NYC from time to time and would love to stop in, if possible.

Thanks
H.P.S.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 04:06:04 PM »
As I recall i wrote a polite letter to then - and possibly still current - chairman, Steve Mcpherson. the club manager replied on his behalf and that was that.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 04:39:54 PM »
Thanks so much for the information, next time I head down there I may a have to plan in advance.

Pat
H.P.S.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 05:14:31 PM »
I'd like to publicly apologize to The Links Club and its members for possibly encouraging an interest in the place!

My sincere apologies  :)
jeffmingay.com

John Sabino

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 07:58:23 PM »
Jeff - no need to apologize - that's why I do the blog, so places like The Links Club take themselves less seriously.

Philip - you are fortunate to have visited without a member, you must be a true gentleman.

Joe
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 08:26:52 AM »
I was just kidding, Joe.

Nice job with the article though. I plan to frequent your blog.

Cheers,
jeffmingay.com

John_Cullum

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 12:00:27 PM »
Joe

You should have asked if anyone had seen Hamilton Hearst lately?
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Larry_Keltto

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 12:41:09 PM »
<<a place to have a drink, a bunch of golf books and enough room to hold a putting contest...>>

If memory serves, Bertie practiced his putting on occasion at The Drones Club. ;)

Garry Cox

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 06:47:39 PM »
Thanks for the link to the blog.

I was fortunate to be invited for dinner at The Links Club about 4 years ago.  I was walking to the club thinking I was looking for a sports bar with a golf motif.  I found the building but there was no identification that I could see outside especially in the dark.  I walked back to a building with a doorman and told him what I was looking for and he stated it was right where I was looking a minute  before.  I responded to the doorman that there is no sign or identification.  He said that is the idea!

The blog described the atmosphere perfectly.

I should have reponded to the earlier posting re:  The Most Urban Golf Club?

Answer: The Links Club.

I will continue to read the blog.

Mark Hissey

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »
I was there two years ago with Tom Doak and Jim Urbina. It is indeed a really interesting place. Some very heavy hitters for members too.

wsmorrison

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 08:04:20 PM »
Tom and I drove up to NYC for a wonderful evening at the Links Club.  It is a beautiful building with a lot of cozy rooms.  We had a large gathering of GCAers at a large round dinner table.  The conversation was very stimulating.  

Didn't someone blow up the building next door recently in an attempted suicide because of a messy divorce proceeding?

Larry,

Bertie Wooster, Tuppy Glossip, Bingo Little, Gussie Fink-Nottle, and Barmy Fungy Fipps all hung out at the Drones Club.  What a wonderful series.  My oldest son (16) bought all the DVDs and we enjoy watching them all.  The scene at the Drones Club golf outing with the barking Westie and the buzzer device was hilarious.  Bertie's pull hook into the tent on the first tee was great.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 08:09:03 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 10:39:30 PM »
Wayne,

You're right. I recall hearing about that explosion in the news, and someone pointing out The Links Club was next door.
jeffmingay.com

George_Bahto

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2007, 12:27:21 AM »
One of the highlights of my life over the past few years was an evening I spent at The Links Club giving a C B Macdonald presentation to a large group of Links members.

Totally scared stiff with that huge painting of Macdonald looking down at me at times but the members were so nice and made me feel very comfortable.

It was an evening I'll always remember.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back