News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Re:Nominations for horrible golf writing.
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
"I've played a truly great golf course" (unfortunately it wasn't this one) ;)
Let's make GCA grate again!

Brad Klein

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2007, 01:49:45 PM »
The day was moist . . . .

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2007, 01:53:54 PM »
As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic golf course architect.

That sounds bad, Mike. What happens next?

I hope his family doesn't reject him; on the other hand, he really shouldn't have that huge piece of turf under his bed.

Peter

Kalen Braley

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2007, 01:54:41 PM »
With those last couple of posts talking about "beds, "dreams", and "moist", I hope were not going down the wrong track on this one.

Cause if we're going there I would much rather watch the vids, then read a book!!  ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2007, 01:55:51 PM »
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea Country Club dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier, natural, pre-construction of the course days through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet, well-conducted, wholly visible, shored-up by the architect with white granite boulders  little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on every golfer that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2007, 02:02:09 PM »
That sounds bad, Mike. What happens next?

Mrs. Lynde is going to discover something odd, isn't she?

Peter

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2007, 02:02:58 PM »
A long time ago on a golf course far, far away...

Garland Bayley

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2007, 02:06:11 PM »
Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived just where the Avonlea Country Club dipped down into a little hollow, fringed with alders and ladies' eardrops and traversed by a brook that had its source away back in the woods of the old Cuthbert place; it was reputed to be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier, natural, pre-construction of the course days through those woods, with dark secrets of pool and cascade; but by the time it reached Lynde's Hollow it was a quiet, well-conducted, wholly visible, shored-up by the architect with white granite boulders  little stream, for not even a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde's door without due regard for decency and decorum; it probably was conscious that Mrs. Rachel was sitting at her window, keeping a sharp eye on every golfer that passed, from brooks and children up, and that if she noticed anything odd or out of place she would never rest until she had ferreted out the whys and wherefores thereof.

OK, OK, Mike, you are the master.  :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) :-[ :-[ :-[
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brad Klein

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »
Cirba wins the venerable British honor, the Bulwer-Lytton Award, granted annually to the worst start to a novel

Kalen Braley

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2007, 03:40:38 PM »
Hey Cirba,

Sounds like you either had a earlier career in writing those kind of books, or have quite the collection yourself.

I picked one up in Barnes and Nobles once and read a paragraph or two and just felt so dirty afterwards...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 03:41:42 PM by Kalen Braley »

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2007, 03:41:14 PM »
Well, if we are going this direction, I have posted these before, but reviewers have ways to subtly pan a course with “double entendre” phrases, without being a LIAR (i.e. Lexicon of Intentionally Ambiguous References" including:

"You’ll be lucky to enjoy this course" (it would depend on something besides design)

“I would like to enthusiastically recommend this course to you” (but I can’t)

"Best of its kind" (the bad kind)

"Never seen anything like it" (and hope not to again)

“He designed a course like he’s never designed before” (How do you mean that?)

Now, that's a golf course" (what kind?)

"I had a hard time believing what I saw."

"It redefines the meaning of a place to play golf."

"It had it all” (tee markers, flags, ball washers, the works)

"I don't usually write about clubhouses, but this one is the club’s focal point."

"It's always interesting to see a designer take chances."

"I would like to recommend this as a must play course.”  (but I just can’t)

"It proves you can build a golf course just about anywhere."

"Years from now, golf course architecture students will visit this course just to study it."

Sorry, can't resist. Carry On!

Add:

"Inspired by St Andrews"

"Championship Lenght"

And one I read Yesterday about a course redo:

"8 new lakes and 100's of new trees make you feel like your on the PGA Tour"
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 03:42:02 PM by Matthew Hunt »

Voytek Wilczak

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2007, 03:54:37 PM »
...most of you won't understand a single word of the  linked article...

Masters, Skottland, Callaway? - you're selling us way short... ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2007, 04:10:50 PM »
MIke C., you have succeeded in causing Dan Kelly's head to explode.  You are the undisputed champion!  ;D

These are the stories of the intrepid golf raters, their five year mission: to seek out compensatory new offerings, to bravely study highly marketted architecture, to boldly go where no golfer has been comp'ed before...  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2007, 04:36:12 PM »
Maybe some of our professional writers could give us some tips. There must be some guide out there to really bad writing that they have been exposed to as a "how not to."

Off the top of my head, I could see going really bad by pushing a tortured analogy a bit far, relying on cliche, and being redundant.  Also, using five dollar words when not necessary.  How else?

BTW, after some thought, I am convinced that the worst golf writing occurs in yardage books - "Try to miss the bunker" and "Take enough club" pepper these literary masterpieces.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2007, 04:38:56 PM »
I kinda like "Best bang for the ball busting buck."

Dan Kelly

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2007, 04:42:47 PM »
MIke C., you have succeeded in causing Dan Kelly's head to explode.

Reports of the explosion of my head have been greatly exaggerated. I've just been away.

I just skimmed the article -- and agree (I think; having very quickly skimmed this thread, too) with Rick:

There's a ton of crappy golf writing out there. This didn't seem particularly crappier than average.

I do wonder about one thing: Who paid for the rides aboard that Cessna?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 04:43:21 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Dan Kelly

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2007, 04:46:09 PM »
There must be some guide out there to really bad writing that they have been exposed to as a "how not to."

I have a file at home labeled "Bad Prose." It contains manuscripts and query letters sent my way, almost always unsolicited, when I was a magazine editor.

I'd share some of it with you -- but the pain of retyping it! Have mercy on my soul.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2007, 04:55:44 PM »
Here's some pretty good (not) golf writing from Colin McEnroe of The Hartford Courant:

"Yes, in many ways, this is just a garden variety story of a lovelorn, insanely jealous, bewigged, diaper-wearing, mallet-pounding, pepper-spraying, knife-wielding woman looking for astronaut-on-astronaut sex.

"So familiar, really, as to have become kind of a cliche."  

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2007, 04:58:40 PM »
I'd first like to thank the Academy, and especially John Kavanaugh for starting this thread.

With friends like John, can a comped day with Hamilton Hearst on his yacht "Rater II" be far behind?

Ah, there's so much to say, but we won't get into that tonight.  

I haven't had an orthodox career, and I've wanted more than anything to have your respect. The first time I didn't feel it, but this time I feel it, and I can't deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!  You really, really like me!!!

Thanks for the award, now the voices are telling me to kill you all!  

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »
... he said, tossing blank plastic ball markers to the adoring throng.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2007, 05:36:57 PM »
I once sent a blurb I was trying to get a rag to run to Gib for review.  He wrote back to me -

"Get Elements of Style and read it.  When you're finished, read it again!"

;)

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2007, 05:50:54 PM »
As the pimped-out grill of my custom-made EZ-Go cleared the fescue-fringed ridge and the dramatic island of green below presented itself like a sexually arroused bullfrog, I could feel my own manhood stirring while my free hand reached behind me for my LAZR-Beam VVL-X460 driver. I had experienced the usual twinge of guilt when I put the $700 sheleighleigh on my expense account, but now -- seeing the incredibly tight slot between two yawning fairway bunkers through which I needed to fit my drive -- the cost seemed well worth it.

I took a deep breath, once again admiring the architect's dramatic use of natural landforms and classic Golden Age design principles (elevated tee, generous sideboard mounding, dense stands of newly-transplanted trees just beyond the bunkers, and a rock-lined pond directly in front of the green), and swung from the heels, launching my pellet into the ozone. It seemed to hang in the air forever, giving me time to pause and reflect on my good fortune to have married Oprah just before my clock radio accidentally fell into her bathtub.    
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Chris Cupit

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2007, 06:19:34 PM »
Cirba wins the venerable British honor, the Bulwer-Lytton Award, granted annually to the worst start to a novel
Damn!  Too late for consideration?:

"This thread died today.  Or was it yesterday?  I don't know".

Tim Pitner

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2007, 04:54:27 PM »
Honestly, most golf writing is pretty bad.  Travel articles or golf-related war stories tend to be lame.  Reading about golf is a poor substitute for playing golf.  It's interesting when someone expresses strong opinions about golf courses but even our own Tom Doak is more circumspect about that than in the past (and understandably but regretfully so).  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back