News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Balakshin

http://www.horticulturecertificates.com/certificate_golfcourses.html

This is a great program that some of you might be interested in, especially people like me that are new to golf course design and construction.

The courses offered in this online certificate program are:

Turf Management
Environmental Management of the Golf Course
Arboriculture
Golf Course Design and Construction
Weed Management in Turf
Irrigation

I did the Golf Course Design and Construction one in 2005. The design aspect of this particular course a little basic but it was definitely worthwhile. The course had an online discussion board much like this one where everyone had to discuss weekly topics that the instructor selected. There were also readings from a course manual and projects that had to be sent to the instructor in the mail.  

The people taking the course were from all over (Canada, USA, Cyprus, Mexico, Australia) and were very diverse in their professions (developers, city workers, superintendents, and a couple students like myself).

I am going to register in the Environmental Management of the Golf Course one and it will start on January 15th. Just thought I would throw this out there in case anyone else is interested.  8)

Marty Bonnar

Re:University of Guelph – Maintaining Golf Courses Certificate
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:05:39 PM »
Andrew,
my guess would be that most online learning is like having sex whilst wearing socks. Good, but ultimately unfulfilling.

Please enjoy the study. Just make sure you occasionally go 'barefoot'... ;)

best,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

JR Potts

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 10:18:37 PM »
I just took this course.  It was well set up and well moderated/taught but I would choose live learning over internet learning any day of the week.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 10:21:03 PM »
Andrew,

Curious... who's the instructor, for the golf course design and construction component?
jeffmingay.com

JR Potts

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 10:21:51 PM »
Andrew,

Curious... who's the instructor, for the golf course design and construction component?

Jason Gibson.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 12:51:57 PM »
Andrew,

Jason Gibson.

I for one am happy to vouch for the academic pedigree of La Gibson. Another grad of the 'Edinburgh School'. Go, Jay!
(I even think I once saw him without socks).

Although, frankly, I'm still a bit miffed that I didn't get a wedding invite.... :(

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back