News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

Campbell and Hutchinson designs
« on: January 11, 2007, 06:55:06 AM »
I took a quick glance at the West Sussex (Pulborough) website, which course was designed by these two gents.

What other courses did they design? Am I right in thinking that they sometimes did work together with Col? Hodgkin? For some reason I have them together in my mind.

Do they have a particular style?

And what do people who have played Pulborough think about it? Is it similar to the well known heathland courses near London? It is always well spoken about.

Philip Gawith

Re:Campbell and Hutchinson designs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:30:17 AM »
Let's go and play it Sean! I am game.

Did the trio do Woodhall Spa or just Hodgkin?

Philip Gawith

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 11:36:55 AM »
I read that article Sean, it just slipped through my sieve-like memory!

You can have your half-way back game at Huntercombe - or somewhere else if you prefer.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 12:32:02 PM »
West Sussex is an absolute joy to play. Conditions in Pulborough are quite similar to those found at Woking and Walton Heath, to my mind.

The course is a shining example of how placing hazards on only one side allow every range of player to enjoy a game there, while still challanging the expert player.

At 6250 yards the course is an absolute bear; the 1st is the only par 5 on the course, but only if you play from the whites. Luckily the Club does not relagate visitors to the yellow, as they graciously allowed this visiting 6 handicap to step back to the medal tees.

Everything else about the Club is first rate from the ample practice ground to the beautiful Arts and Crafts Clubhouse. The membership is very welcoming; visitors can dine in the main room if they wear a jacket. Ladies are allowed inside as well. The food is first rate and the bar stocked with the finest single malts and Cuban cigars, at very reasonable prices. Another great touch is that all the drinking fountains on the course drain to a dish at the bottom so that faithful canine companions can get a drink during the round.

If you decide to stay the night there is a fantastic B&B located a sand wedge away from the main Clubhouse down the acccess road. It's Arts and Craft style is identical to the Clubhouse as it was designed by the same architect; a great place to spend the evening after playing 36 holes at one of the London area's finest Clubs.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 12:41:06 PM »
I agree, it is a delight, the last outpost of the London/Surrey heathland with so many really strong holes.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 08:44:44 PM »
Horace Hutchinson did some work in France. That would be La Foret at Le Touquet and he did Wimereux together with Campbell. I will likely play both courses in August and report back with some pictures.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 10:04:13 AM »
Philip,

Sir Guy is credited with 6 holes at Rye's old course.

Mark

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 10:27:19 AM »
Tom MacWood wrote a very interesting article about Campbell and Hutchinson in the latest issue (2006) of Neil Crafter's and Paul Mogford's Golf Architecture journal, from Aus.
jeffmingay.com

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 06:24:30 PM »
Jeff, yes Tom wrote a great essay on the Three Majors. This was mentioned by Sean Arble in the first reply on this thread but this has since been mysteriously deleted. Why would that be? It certainly was not offensive in any way. Anyone have any ideas?
Neil

Philip Gawith

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 10:15:34 AM »
Sean - I think by now you should accept that your deleting habit is causing pain to your friends and fellow GCA geeks! If we all held ourselves to the standard of only leaving what was "important", well I am not sure that anything I have posted would remain at all. As for bandwith, if you really care about this then maybe you should have a words with the Merion boys!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back