News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

The Old Course is CRAP
« on: October 08, 2006, 01:01:48 PM »
...for WATCHING Golf!

Gotcher attention though, didn't I?

Nance and I have just returned home from the sunday play of the Dunhill. Once again, I was reminded of just how DREADFUL TOC is - for the golf viewer. You're either kept to the outside of the course which is always behind some bleedin' great lump of gorse or you have to queue for a seat in a stand. There's pitifully few of them for this event - unlike the Open which always has lots. I managed to see about ten golf shots all day.

Now, admittedly, the Dunhill is free thurs thru sat, but sunday is £15 (unless you get a freebie - and yes, we did).

As far as I am concerned (and hopefully I'll remember in the future), your best bet is either to stay home and accept the lack of atmosphere or go to the course and find a table near a bar and giant-screen tv and have a great day!

My favourite place to WATCH golf remains as Carnoustie which has just the right amount of mounding to accommodate comfortable spectating.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

ChipRoyce

Re:The Old Course is CRAP
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 01:16:22 PM »
Martin;
Thanks for the observation - now that you mention it having been to the site, that doesn't surprise me due to how holes run parallel to each other & the shared greens sites.

Are there any top tier amateur match play events that take place on a regular basis at TOC? I'd have to believe that it would be quite enjoyable to follow top amatuers around the course and see play up close.

Best,
Chip

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 01:30:12 PM »
Martin, The words "Over to 14" have new meaning when watching from the confines of someplace warm and stocked with Beverages.

Chip, Why is it any better to watch top players, versus, mere mortals? Mere mortals have more fun. Don't we? Plus on a shot for shot cost basis, a much better value. ;)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 02:54:56 PM »
Martin, I never had a problem with walking around out there and looking at the golf course for hours upon hours of blissful joy....Granted I never watched the pros play.....ever wanted to watch the pros play. I would rather be playing myself!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 04:49:26 PM »
Chip,
there are still a few local medals and various other trinkets played for over the old place. I think they still attract the occasional voyeur. Speaking of which, there is also still a fairly active tradition of utilising bunkers for activities other than golf... ;)
There is a brilliant old photo of a large crowd around the 16th green watching someone hole out as a train passes VERY(!) close by belching smoke. Marvellous...

Adam,
luckily there are lots of handy hostelries in the vicinity of TOC. The Jigger Inn is a particular favourite of mine as it is rather less than a short pitch from The Road Hole!

Bill,
all as discussed...!
Vijay comes to the Dunhill quite often. I can't imagine it's for the climate. BIG appearance fee, perhaps?
Luckily, Carl Spackler, Dennis Hopper, Michael Douglas, Tico Torres et al still seem to enjoy the trip.

Tommy,
hear hear. As it happens, I did spend much of the day gazing lovingly at contours and grasses. Even Nancy is slowly becoming indoctrinated... ;)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 05:17:19 PM »
Martin,
I cannot imagine a lovelier way of enjoying life!

ChipRoyce

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 09:34:03 PM »
Martin, The words "Over to 14" have new meaning when watching from the confines of someplace warm and stocked with Beverages.

Chip, Why is it any better to watch top players, versus, mere mortals? Mere mortals have more fun. Don't we? Plus on a shot for shot cost basis, a much better value. ;)

Adam;

If were about mere mortals, I will spend every waking moment playing the game (since I am a member of said society) rather than watching others, esp. when the course in question is TOC or a reasonable facsimile.

Looking at Martin's original comments, we are discussing the say day when a course like TOC is closed to Tournament play and the opportunity to witness professionals or accomplished amateurs go around a storied track. I do find it interesting to see how they choose to navigate courses such as this.

Lastly, I have to say that my game has benefited from exposure to Professional tournament action. When I was just starting out at the game, I had the priviledge of working the '95 open at Shinnecock as a marshall. Upon returning home that afternoon and going out for 9 holes, I had my best 9 hole score that day (38). While it only lasted a few days, I found that my swing benefited greatly from the tempo and technique observed up close.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back