News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TomSteenstrup

Purdue Univ. - Kampen (pics)
« on: September 06, 2006, 04:08:06 PM »
I have finally gotten around to scanning some pictures I have from just before the Kampen course at Purdue Univ. opened (1997 I believe).  The course has been discussed here before, so I'll not comment in detail except for stating that the course was exciting and inspiring to look at, but too difficult for me (handicap 25 at that time). Most of the holes were actually very playable from the forward tees, but we spend way too much time searching for balls that really weren't that far from short grass. Has the maintenance of the rough changed since?

More info in these threads and at the official web site:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=20608
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=20948
http://www.purdue.edu/Athletics/golf/index.shtml

On to the pics...

The 5th. Redan according to their web site. I don't see it. All par threes have water to one side, BTW.  

The par 4 9th. Tough tee shot. Fairway or no way. Green very accessible if you accept that you won't reach it in two.  

The par 4 11th. I don't really remember this one.

The 14th. A short par 4. Easy on the eye, and not really that difficult to play. A lot of room right, as I remember it.

The par 4 15th. Kind of interesting hole. You tee off towards the hill in the picture. Then you have to hit over the hill and hope that your blind approach finds the green. Right off the tee makes the approach more visible, but then you bring the waste area very much into play. If you are long enough to hit into the hill off the tee - well forget par. If you are long enough to clear the hill off the tee - well good for you.

The par 5 16th. Tee shot was very intimidating. The fairway looked tiny. Once you find that fairway, the hole is not that difficult unless you end up somewhere in the nasty waste areas.

Approach (3rd shot) to the 16th. The tree behind the green is on a plateau that looks safe, but the chip shot to the shallow green is tricky as the ball can roll down the fairway quite a bit if you're just slightly long.

I hope I remember the holes correct. If anybody has more recent pics or more precise insights to the holes, please feel free  to add.

TaylorA

Re:Purdue Univ. - Kampen (pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 05:39:21 PM »
I enjoyed the course but I think if it suffered, it was because it was on nearly the exact same schedule as Whistling Straits. I believe Tim Liddy played a significant role in this course, so perhaps he'll comment.

To compare it at all with the previous course would be absurd as it's not even a comparison. The old "north" course was awful - except you could play it for $6 as a student. That was nice.

I think the routing is good and the course really needs to be set up correctly for the wind. The wind is almost always blowing there and if the tees are correctly placed, I think it's a fun, challenging course. The greens are wonderfully contoured, IMO.

I think if anything is repetitive, it's the par 3s. My memory is that all 4 have water in play. Of the 10 par 4s, only five play over 400 yards. I think the course has a great set of par 5s.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 05:40:03 PM by TaylorA »

Paul Payne

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 10:24:23 PM »
My daughter is now a Boilermaker so I try and get a round in every time I go down to see her.

I don't think this is one of Dyes best courses but considering the land he had to work with it is a very good course. It used to be a corn field. It is hard to believe when you look at the contours today that it was once dead flat.

It also has a very interesting story of how it was built. Apparently Pete Dye attended Purdue for a bit (I don't think he graduated there) but he felt attached enough to the university that he did the design work for very little if any money,

A good portion of the construction was done by the students as well as the seeding and upkeep etc. They have their "school of turf grass" located right there next to the course.

TomSteenstrup

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 01:17:15 AM »
My web host appears to have a little downtime this morning.  :(

Hopefully, it should be back up and running again soon.

TaylorA

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 07:07:11 AM »
I went through my stack of stuff and found the preliminary routing for the golf course. This was probably done in 1995 or 1996. This was a promotional poster that they gave out through the Purdue media relations department.

Paul, you're correct that Pete Dye did attend Purdue for a short period. He received an honorary PhD from Purdue in 1998 - during the same ceremony that I received my undergraduate degree from Purdue.

Here is a review I wrote for myself back in 1999:

"I've had the privilege of playing this course twice - on opening weekend in the summer of 1998 and then again in April of 1999. The two dates produced two very different golf courses. The summer course was hard and the rough and "natural growth" were long enough to lose small children and Hondas. The spring course was wet and the rough had not grown in yet. Both had their advantages and disadvantages. Now, I played from the farthest back tees that they allow you to play. They do have another set, but humans have not developed to that point to allow for people to play from them. The course can stretch to nearly 7500 yards from the tips.

Northern Indiana, which is mostly farm country, is exceedingly windy. The April morning that I played, there was a constant wind of about 15 miles per hour with wind gusts over 20 miles per hour. The course was also wet, so it was playing longer than the 7000 yards on the scorecard. The greens were pretty quick, but not like they are in the summer. The rough was much easier to hit out of as well. The summer version of the course is much more difficult, as I stated before the rough is very tall.

The course set up is very typical for Pete Dye's golf courses. The landing areas are generous, but if you miss the fairway, you're going to pay. The amount of sand (they call them "waste bunkers") on this course will make you think you're in Arizona. Now, the reason they're called waste bunkers is because they are unraked and they are huge. There are mounds of vegetation sprinkled throughout and the sides are left unmaintained. I don't particularly care for that because you can hit a beautiful drive that kicks a couple of feet off the fairway and lose your golf ball. The waste bunkers are not your typical waste bunkers. When I think waste bunker, I think of a much harder surface than a regular bunker, but not these. They are quite difficult to escape from because you are hitting from an unmaintained, regular bunker.

Keeping with Pete Dye's values, there are very few bunkers that block the front of the green. The player who wants to use the run up shot can on this course, and indeed on a windy day, you must do it. The great thing is that you can use the mounds in front of the green to help you. On several occasions, I would use a draw or fade and bring it in off these mounds and let the ball run up on the green. It was really fun and much more interesting than your typical hit high and land it soft that many newer golf courses use.

Overall the golf course is very well done and tons of fun to play. As the course ages, it will improve greatly as well. For as young as the course is, it is very good condition."

Jim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 07:15:19 AM »
It is hard to believe when you look at the contours today that it was once dead flat.

Paul, are you sure it was dead flat?  I played there a few times in the early 1960's, when I was 12 or 13.  I remember some slight rolls and folds in the land.  Back then the south course was far more interesting.  

TaylorA

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 07:23:27 AM »
Jim, the course was not dead flat. As you can see in the above routing I posted, it had some fairly nice movement in it. That being said, there were a few holes, in particular on the south side of Lindberg Road, that were fairly "flat".

The new north course covers more land than the old - the old was incredibly cramped. Most of the new property is where holes 6, 7 and 8 are.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 07:39:30 AM by TaylorA »

TomSteenstrup

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »
The 7th is a lot different from the original layout.

Here's a picture of that hole during construction.

Link to large pic

Jim Colton

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 03:50:26 PM »
Thanks for the pics.  You're right about there being lots of room right on 14.  Seeing the pic brought back sweet memories from when I holed out for eagle from the right rough.  Plus my buddy and I were playing through a group on the green, so that made it extra nice.  I drove to the front of the 15th green and had visions of back-to-back eagles dancing in my head, but sadly it wasn't meant to be.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back