News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

T_MacWood

Ross's manuscript
« on: September 01, 2006, 08:15:50 AM »
From what I understand Ross's manuscript was edited by Ron Whitten...has anyone read the original version, does the Tuft's archive have a copy?

According to 'Golf has never Failed Me' the manuscript was intended to be published in 1914, which means it was written in 1913 or prior to 1913. Why wasn't it published?

Do you think it is a good example of his architectural philosophy or only an example of his very early architectural philosophy?

michael j fay

Re:Ross's manuscript
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 08:24:56 AM »
While there may be some architectural philosophy in the manuscript it is really a maual for building a golf course.

The Tufts Archives does not have a copy of the original.

It is my contention that Mr. Ross wrote this for the instuction and direction of his associates and not for publication.

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 09:18:02 AM »
Does anyone know who found the manuscript and where it is currently located?  Has the Tufts tried to get a copy?

T_MacWood

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 09:22:48 AM »
Michael
Is it a manual for building a golf course or manual for designing a golf course?

Does Whitten have the only copy?

michael j fay

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 09:27:14 AM »
The manuscript was found by David Gordon. I think the ASGCA has the only copy. I will see if the Tufts Archives can get a coy.

Good idea.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 10:08:19 AM »
Dave Gordon actually still has the manuscript in his possession, not ASGCA.  He got it cleaning out Ross' office years ago, at the request of the Ross family who didn't want to deal with his documents, so they are his, although they were involved somewhat when it turned into a book.  

There have been discussions of him bequeathing to ASGCA and ASGCA is committed to getting it more public exposure when and if we acquire it.

I have seen it (I was ASGCA President when  it came to light and actually suggested it as project for our 50th anniversary) and it is typewritten, with hand notes in the margins.  It was similar to Tillie's writings which were released largely unedited, and difficult to read for the modern mind.  We felt that Ron could give it the Harvey Pennick treatment, get the architectural points across and make it more readable and enjoyable.

Why it got stuffed away from 1913 until Ross' death has never been explained to me.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

T_MacWood

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 10:35:17 AM »
Jeff
Was it found among Ross's things or McGovern's?

Do you think it was a 'how to' document intended for his associates?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 10:38:40 AM »
Probably McGovern's, which passed to Dave Gordon, but I can't recall.

I think it was a marketing piece, similar to what the others wrote, not a how to. It would have to be a pretty dysfunction office if Ross couldn't walk across the drafting room, say he wants it this way, and then walk out, wouldn't it?

Again, why Ross then decided he didn't need it as a marketing piece is a historical question.

T_MacWood

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 10:54:58 AM »
Jeff
I would agree with you...plus doesn't it talk about big picture design aspects, like clubhouse location, orientation of the sun, the use trees and streams, etc. I know Ross has been accused of being the figurehead of golf course producing juggernaut...but in 1913? I don't think he intended the people working with him in 1913 to be designing golf courses.

Are you certain Ross wrote it?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 10:55:29 AM by Tom MacWood »

wsmorrison

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 10:58:15 AM »
The Gordons worked for Ross and McGovern for a time after Flynn's death.  I'll call David and see if he will get a copy to the Tufts and the USGA.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 11:03:12 AM »
Tom,

Since ASGCA benefits, buy the damn book!

To answer your question, it is mostly a design manual, offering Ross thoughts on things that you mentioned.  Only after the design parts does the construction and maintenance chapters begin.

I think everyone is 99.99999999% certain that Ross wrote the manuscript and that the hand notes are his.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back