News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Schultheis

Re:Ryder Cup: It's Cink and Verplank
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 03:30:33 PM »
Fair point.  I had thought that Couples had played well at Hoylake, but I must have confused that with 2005.

I'm not surprised by his rank on the money list, given the fact that he plays so infrequently.  That having been said, given his play last year at the President's Cup I'd have considered him had I been captain.

I'm not at all disturbed by Lehman's picks, though.

Phil McDade

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 03:47:02 PM »
Aren't Ryder Cup draws blind? Which is why we've seen some odd match-ups, like Tiger going against Scotland's Coltart in '99 at Brookline.

Looks like Lehman is counting on international match-play experience of Verplank and Cink to carry the rookies through this. Lerhman's in kind of a box -- he's practically got two and maybe three teams locked up (Woods-Furyk, Mickelson-DeMarco, Toms-Campbell), and probably thought he needed some experience to go with his rookies (who are all pretty true rookies, as opposed to past rookies like Funk, when it comes to international experience) in what will surely be a pretty rowdy atmosphere.

Travis Ripley

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 04:10:18 PM »
i can see the Verplank pick since he's a steady guy and a good partner with a decent match play record.  Cink kind of leaves me scratching my head though.  

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »
What experience does Scott Verplank have? If I am Zach Johnson, I am not hearing a word he has to say. Scott, you are 43 and you have played in one Ryder Cup, no thanks, bud. I don't understand what is with this guy. There is nothing on his record that warrants a pick, in my mind. 20th on the points list? No major threats. How many career wins? 5? Short off the tee and won't scare a soul.

George Pazin

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 05:11:18 PM »
I like Verplank as a guy and a golfer, but I'd be mighty PO'd if I were Rollins, or pretty much anyone else passed over. He'd have had to do something a lot more compelling to warrant a pick in my book.

US Captain is still the most overrated job in the world, at least in terms of difficulity.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott Coan

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 05:12:42 PM »
I don't understand what is with this guy. There is nothing on his record that warrants a pick, in my mind. 20th on the points list? No major threats. How many career wins? 5? Short off the tee and won't scare a soul.

It all comes down to PUTTING and Lehman went with the guy that's gonna get the ball in the hole.  Verplank is ranked #4 in putting.  If not for the other 4 rookies, Stricker would have been the other Captain's pick (at #5 in putting stats) but pretty hard to justify a 5th rookie even though he was the only American "bubble" player to make his presence felt at the PGA.

There's nothing more painful in match play than making better shots than your opponent all day long only to watch him continually bin putt after putt after putt.  So when in doubt, go with the guy with the flat stick.

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2006, 05:48:11 PM »
Perhaps it's time for the US team to expand and include the rest of North and South America to give itself a fighting chance.

"Europe vs The America's"  :D

Weir, Villegas, Cabrera, Ames etc etc. Surely better than Cink and Verplank.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 05:48:33 PM by Shane Gurnett »

peter_mcknight

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2006, 06:35:14 PM »
What does it really matter when we're going to lose by a score of 17-11 or thereabouts?

While we have some great players over 72 holes and have more players than the Euros that are more consistent over 72 holes, Ryder Cup matches are 18 hole matches which are basically a sprint.

Put another way, while the blades drew the scousers on Saturday noontime (a single 18 hole match), over the marathon (38 18 hole matches), the blades won't be within 40 or so points of the scousers.  But, on the given day, when it is a sprint, anything can happen.  That's our general problem when it comes to the Ryder Cup.

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2006, 07:14:16 PM »
While we have some great players over 72 holes and have more players than the Euros that are more consistent over 72 holes, Ryder Cup matches are 18 hole matches which are basically a sprint.

Peter what exactly are you basing this statement on? There are more European players in the World Top 30 than there are Americans.

tonyt

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 07:19:02 PM »

Rarely a falser word was spoken, and I guess you wouldn't find one multiple Ryder Cup player for the US in recent history who would come close to agreeing with you.

Matchplay in 18 hole matches but in multiple forms over multiple days gives plenty of time for cream to rise. If it knows how to.

CHrisB

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 08:54:40 PM »
US Captain is still the most overrated job in the world, at least in terms of difficulity.

:)

George, I don't know if you were kidding or not, but if you are serious then I strongly disagree with the above statement.

I think that the job of captain is extra important on the U.S. side--you can't just send out the players and expect talent to produce the right results. I think a big reason the U.S. team hasn't performed up to their ability has less to do with talent and more to do with intangibles--pressure, attitude, expectations, chemistry, etc.--and those are precisely the kinds of things that a good captain can affect (see Watson in 1993).

Tim Pitner

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2006, 11:02:03 AM »
I just stumbled on this reference to the Ryder Cup records of U.S. players:  Mickelson is 9-8-3 in five Ryder Cups. Woods is 7-11-2 and Furyk 4-9-2, each in four appearances. Chad Campbell was 1-2 at Oakland Hills and David Toms is a combined 4-3-1 in 2002 and 2004.

Woods' record is mediocre to poor and I was really surprised by Furyk's dismal record.  I believe they both have done pretty well in singles so the problem lies in the foursomes and four ball matches.  

There's something at work there and it goes beyond the Euros putting better, which is the typical justification for why the U.S. has done poorly lately.  The Euros play the team matches better and it doesn't seem to matter who the U.S. trots out there.  The teams of Woods/Furyk and Mickelson/DiMarco are formidable, but you'd have to favor the Europeans if you were a betting person.  It should be good fun--finally, a golf event where the outcome is in doubt.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2006, 03:20:57 AM »
I don't know who Lehman has in mind for matchups, but if I were him, I'd try to get him playing Sergio and Luke Donald as often as possible while they're still reeling from getting their butts kicked by him this year.  

Shivas, based on passed results I don't think he plays Ryder Cup!

Philip Gawith

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2006, 04:08:00 AM »
Is it really the case, as I think I read somewhere, that none of the US rookies have played golf outside of the States? Seems unbelievable. But even if only half true, you have to wonder at the huge advantage the Euro's have given up by not hosting the Ryder Cup on a links course. As it is, the K-Club is surely unlikely to hold any great fear for them.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2006, 04:11:20 AM »
Is it really the case, as I think I read somewhere, that none of the US rookies have played golf outside of the States? Seems unbelievable. But even if only half true, you have to wonder at the huge advantage the Euro's have given up by not hosting the Ryder Cup on a links course. As it is, the K-Club is surely unlikely to hold any great fear for them.
I see this said often but think it's a myth that playing on links courses would help the Europeans.  How many European Tour events are played on links courses?  Aside from the Open, which the top US players also play, I suspect the answer most years is none.  The majority of European Tour golfers play as little competitive golf on links courses as do the Americans.  Perhaps this explains, in part, why year after year American players perform better in the Open than Europeans.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2006, 04:54:34 AM »

I see this said often but think it's a myth that playing on links courses would help the Europeans.  How many European Tour events are played on links courses?  Aside from the Open, which the top US players also play, I suspect the answer most years is none.  The majority of European Tour golfers play as little competitive golf on links courses as do the Americans.  Perhaps this explains, in part, why year after year American players perform better in the Open than Europeans.

Mark,

the Dunhill played in October is played over the links at Kingsbarnes, Carnoustie and TOC. It is however sad that not more links courses are being used on the tour to add a bit of variety to the scheduelle.  

Mark Pearce

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2006, 05:25:34 AM »

Mark,

the Dunhill played in October is played over the links at Kingsbarnes, Carnoustie and TOC. It is however sad that not more links courses are being used on the tour to add a bit of variety to the scheduelle.  

Jon,

I forgot the Dunhill, though a number of Americans tend to play that as well.  That's one links event per year out of something over 40.  I agree with you that it's a shame that more links courses don't feature on the tour.  Isn't it a lost opportunity that the Scottish Open, played just before the Open, isn't played on a links?  Perhaps more of the US players who are, at the same time, practising for the Open in Scotland or Ireleand might be tempted to play the Scottish if it was at a links venue.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2006, 05:30:50 PM »
I also root for the Euros...I'd have chosen Couples and Oberholser.  Arron really impressedme during an interview I did with him at the Open...he's got a real competitive fire...perfect for an event like this.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back